LHD Bedford TMs

There were still plenty of em on Italian roads in the 90s, if they never sold many then that tells me that they stood the test of time.

newmercman:
There were still plenty of em on Italian roads in the 90s, if they never sold many then that tells me that they stood the test of time.

They were also competing in Italy with the Turbostar, which at the upper end was a serious bit of kit for those who wanted performance and strength of driveline… Robert

newmercman:

I have only spent a few weeks in Italy (in the '80s and '90s), and cannot remember having seen any British wagons on Italian plates. However, if they were a common sight, then maybe I have understated their success.

One example of the LHD Bedford TM’s endurance is the military 4x4 version, which is still popular even today in difficult terrain. Robert

400.jpg

Carryfast hit the nail on the head in regard to the TM, badge snobbery and nothing more, ironic when lots of hauliers would’ve started out with a TK.

As I said, there were a good number running around in Italy well into the 90s and a lorry doesn’t have an easy life in Italy, gross weight is when you can’t possibly fit anything else on and apart from the Po Valley there ain’t many flat parts.

Here’s an Italian one - the picture’s still going on ebay. Robert

Carryfast:

robert1952:
Here’s an Italian one - the picture’s still going on ebay. Robert

Life wouldn’t get much better than being paid to run between here and Italy through an early 1980’s Summer with a mixture of 8V92 and Ricchi e Poveri,Al Bano and Romina Power,Toto Catugno and Loretta Goggi on the cassette player for a soundtrack. :smiley:

Ah! There’s a romantic streak in you, after all CF! Robert :laughing:

The LHD TM Multi-drive came with a 9-speed Fuller, I believe. Robert

mjThompson_0060b.jpg
250px-Multidrive_Tipper.png

According to Dirty Dan on the regular Bedford TM thread, at least 3 LHD TMs were supplied to Sweden. He posted a magazine article about it, but unfortunately the scan is unreadable even if it were in English. Never mind, there are pictures and every picture tells a thousand stories! Robert

tm sweden1.jpg
tm sweden2.jpg

Nearly 40 years later I can’t remember which saudi company imported the TM, but there was a fleet of 40 or 50 of them for one company. I always thought they looked great!

As discussed, MPG wasn’t a problem there. I can only assume, as stated by others on this thread, our marketing wasn’t good!

I think our salesmen ‘expected’ to get the sale, but others, German, Dutch, and Swedish, worked harder at it?

John.

Hmm i was supose to post on this thread,sorry. It would be nice to see atleast one of them restored. And according to the articel there were some TMs in Finland aswell,atleast demos. Maby Benkku knows somtingh about that. Sorry about the bad pics i see if i can make a bettre one :smiley:

Danne

Dirty Dan:
Hmm i was supose to post on this thread,sorry. It would be nice to see atleast one of them restored. And according to the articel there were some TMs in Finland aswell,atleast demos. Maby Benkku knows somtingh about that. Sorry about the bad pics i see if i can make a bettre one :smiley:

Danne

Cheers Dan! The info you added on the other thread was most interesting. Robert :smiley:

Turin motor show '79. Robert

cmTurin.jpg

robert1952:
Turin motor show '79. Robert

All this and more on the other TM thread.