LHD Bedford TMs

In the early 90’s when I worked for Multidrive, we built LHD TM’s but they all had Cat 3406B engines at 425 HP. There was also the 6x4 rigid TM 40 with the same engine, they could really pull. They all had the 9 sp fuller and ZF MPM axles. We also built a couple of 8x8 versions with 3306b engines at 300 HP, they had ZF eco split 16 speed boxes with GKN Kirkstall axles, and the superb GM RNX suspension on the trailer.
They all had the full width day cab.

JOHNXL70:

robert1952:

JOHNXL70:
Robert 1952, re the purple and white Bedfords, Marathon and Seddon Atkinson, i posted the photos on another topic, what would you like to know about the motors

Cheers John! Can you remember the engine and gearboxes of the TMs? Robert

Hi Robert, at the time i took the photo of the 4 of us they both had V8 Detroit engines with Spicer box, the one in the for ground was a right hand drive, later on it had a ■■■■■■■ engine fitted, might have been a 250, still with the Spicer box. I drove the Marathon and only drove the Bedfords on rare occasions

Thanks for that! I hadn’t realised that Spicer was another option. Robert

FodenS80:
In the early 90’s when I worked for Multidrive, we built LHD TM’s but they all had Cat 3406B engines at 425 HP. There was also the 6x4 rigid TM 40 with the same engine, they could really pull. They all had the 9 sp fuller and ZF MPM axles. We also built a couple of 8x8 versions with 3306b engines at 300 HP, they had ZF eco split 16 speed boxes with GKN Kirkstall axles, and the superb GM RNX suspension on the trailer.

Ah-ha! The thick plottens! Robert :slight_smile:

looking at the pics of the interiors they all look like spicer sticks to me , i drove one and knew of a few from w reg onwards and they all seem to have ■■■■■■■ power and 10 speed spicer box although I knew or drove a handful so may have the wrong end of the stick, an underatted motor in my opinion shame they did not do better with it, happy new year all . fredm

robert1952:

FodenS80:

But they were badged as AWD’s by then.

FodenS80:

robert1952:

FodenS80:

But they were badged as AWD’s by then.

Am I right in thinking that you could get these multi-bendy-drive artics from AWD with Cat engines and 9-speed Fullers with a TM cab or a TL cab? Robert

TL cab was only available as a 32 ton 8x6 with ■■■■■■■ 8.3 litre at 265 bhp and fuller 9 speed. I was lucky enough to have driven both these AWD TMs with Cat 425 and to be able to do a full power slide with an artic and driven trailer wheels was absolutely amazing, watching the back end slide out in the mirror. Not on public roads of course and unladen!!

Broadslide:
TL cab was only available as a 32 ton 8x6 with ■■■■■■■ 8.3 litre at 265 bhp and fuller 9 speed. I was lucky enough to have driven both these AWD TMs with Cat 425 and to be able to do a full power slide with an artic and driven trailer wheels was absolutely amazing, watching the back end slide out in the mirror. Not on public roads of course and unladen!!

I was watching Japanese ‘drift’ racing (power sliding) with cars on TV last night. Never thought of doing it with artics! Robert :laughing: :open_mouth:

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who remembers (or had anything to do with) Nissacarn Int from Northampton who’s truck featured at the beginning of this topic. I’d never heard of them myself, but someone must know something about them and whether the Bedfords were a success or not.

Mark R:
It would be interesting to hear from anyone who remembers (or had anything to do with) Nissacarn Int from Northampton who’s truck featured at the beginning of this topic. I’d never heard of them myself, but someone must know something about them and whether the Bedfords were a success or not.

Hello Mark: Happy New Year, mate! Ashley Coghill’s your man for Northampton trucking history, especially when it comes to Middle-East bound '70s/'80s lorries. With any luck he’ll answer this question… Robert :smiley:

Meanwhile, I’ve found a couple more pics on the internet. Robert :smiley:

i367160.jpg
7125530305_c9652a558c_z.jpg

Carryfast:

robert1952:

Mark R:

Hello Mark: Happy New Year, mate! Ashley Coghill’s your man for Northampton trucking history, especially when it comes to Middle-East bound '70s/'80s lorries. With any luck he’ll answer this question… Robert :smiley:

If they weren’t a success trust me it wouldn’t have been because they were too slow in that spec. :smiling_imp: :smiley: They obviously had a/some very lucky driver/s given some extremely rare kit in the form of the 4400 used by UK operators.I’d missed that story in the day and its the first I’ve seen of a confirmed UK operator of it.

I feel honoured to have revealed your fantasy motor at last, CF! Not a bad choice, I have to say. Robert :smiley:

Jock Hastie had a left ■■■■■■ TM with the V8 DD under the cab, it was painted in EVS colours, white with three blue wedge stripes up the sides.

It was an Italian spec 4400 with a 13spd in it. I had a belt around the one way system around the yard at Belvedere in it once, it was a beast of a thing.

It would’ve been around 1985 at a guess.

JohnXL70 kindly posted this excellent pic on the LHD Marathon thread. It also shows the LHD Bedford TM. Cheers John. Robert :smiley:

I made a mistake,sorry.

michel:
I made a mistake,sorry.

An Italian draw-bar outfit: there’s a turn up for the books! Robert :slight_smile:

Somewhere on the LHD ERF EC thread there is a post saying that the Spanish-market vehicles were sold at silly discounts, the drivers disliked them and the after-sales service was pants. What was the story with Bedford’s (and Ford’s) attempt to establish themselves in Italy? The vehicles seemed to be specified with that market in mind- 42t gross in the mid-'70’s- but they only seemed to sell a handful. Was this apparent lack of success due to any failing on the part of the vehicles, or was it just half-cocked marketing? Has anyone got any direct experience?