LGV Blindspot check On DVSA Test

I teach the blindspot check EVERY time from stationary. To be clear, the only way to do this check properly and effectively is to slightly lean forward and then turn your head round and look behind. Obviously there isn’t a totally clear view, but importantly it covers the blind spot that the mirror doesn’t see.

There are certainly times when it’s not necessary to check blind spot, but it is ALWAYS required moving away from the side of the road. I teach to do it every time from stationary as there are other occasions when it is extremely useful. So, rather than confuse anyone by explaining exactly when it is and isn’t necessary, I take the simple option and go for it every time the wheels have stopped moving. It doesn’t get much more simple than that.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I passed both C and C+E this year, at two different training schools, one great and one not so great, and was never told to look over my shoulder, I was told to turn and look out to the right but not over my shoulder. I didn’t pass my C first time so all in all met a few different examiners and never picked up a single minor for checks when moving off. Seems there must be some inconsistency.

I passed this year too, got told to look over the right shoulder and behind. Had it drilled into me on every lesson aswell. I got no minors for observation on my test so it worked.

Sorry if I’m missing something here but an over the shoulder check should always be done regardless of what vehicle you’re driving. Blind spot mirrors can’t show everything and won’t show a pedestrian for example crossing the road from the other side in line with or just behind the driver. People on their Cat C or Cat CE training are already car drivers so they should be doing a shoulder check anyway. Even if it wasn’t mandatory to pass the test I don’t see why people wouldn’t do one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee1976:
Sorry if I’m missing something here but an over the shoulder check should always be done regardless of what vehicle you’re driving. Blind spot mirrors can’t show everything and won’t show a pedestrian for example crossing the road from the other side in line with or just behind the driver. People on their Cat C or Cat CE training are already car drivers so they should be doing a shoulder check anyway. Even if it wasn’t mandatory to pass the test I don’t see why people wouldn’t do one.

I was taught it as the ‘life saver’ when I learnt to ride a motorbike (did bikes before cars). I don’t recall being taught it for my car test though it is something I do due to my motorbike experience. Especially when changing lanes on a motorway or dual carriageway.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Everybody is required to check over their shoulder on cars. But it seems to be amongst the first things in the “bad habit” bin. I’ve had a couple of folks swear blind they’ve never been taught it. But they must have done it to pass their car test.

But, as said previously, why would you not check?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I know the answers are mainly from instructors, but the appeal question was raised. I thought the only outcome of an appeal could be a free retest. I can’t imagine someone in the office who would overturn a decision from his colleagues

Nobody can overturn an examiners decision regarding fault assessment. Yes examiners make mistakes but to mark a serious fault they have to be 100% certain. Name 1 human that has never made a mistake? You can’t begin to imagine the amount of training they go through before conducting a LGV test.

Usually years of experience either as a trainer or car examiner. Occasionally a free retest may be offered if something very unusual happens but it’s rare.

Finally it’s not about colleagues sticking together it’s about the reality of what happens on test. Test centre managers take complaints very seriously but most complaints are unfounded. Ask most experienced trainers