Blind spot check on test

This is my first post on this forum and I would like to take this opportunity to say hello to everyone.
I have a question for all the lgv trainers, I have a couple of hours on a class 2 lorry and the instructor keeps making me check my blind spot every time I move off in traffic not only when moving off from a parked position and says that if I don’t do it in traffic aswell the examiner can fail you.
I am also a car instructor and I never had anyone fail for not checking their blind spot when for example moving off at a traffic light or in heavy traffic, now the lgv Adi says its different for lorries. Can someone clarify this for me?
Many thanks in advance.

Certainly the emphasis tends to be on moving away from the kerb but it’s best practice to check the blind spot every time the vehicle moves from stationary. No examiner will fail a candidate for missing odd ones - provided it had no direct effect. But continuous failure to check or having a negative effect on other road users because of a failure to check will constitute a serious fault.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

As usual Petes reply is spot on and needs nothing added. The main day to day reason for checking particularly the nearside before moving away from stationary at say traffic lights or a roundabout is that cyclists will often fill the gap between the truck and the kerb.

They can’t catch up when you’re moving but obviously can and do when you’re stopped. Imagine turning left at traffic lights. You will naturally leave a gap on the nearside to avoid hitting the kerb. What if the cyclist is going straight ahead from your left?

As Pete says you won’t fail if you miss the odd check but WILL fail if not checking affects another road user. Unless you check you won’t know is someone is affected or not.

Many thanks to both for the quick reply, it was just the blind spot I wasn’t sure about,the nearside mirror before turning left is a must for any type of vehicle.

luc1982:
the nearside mirror before turning left is a must for any type of vehicle.

unless your a tipper driver or bus driver in London :wink:

Same rules for both cars and LGVs - if the blind spot to the right needs checking then it must be done

Sounds sensible but then it comes down to when the examiner feels it needs to be done

If the examiner sees the candidate keeping alert whilst waiting etc then they can be certain nothing has got in there without the driver noticing so no blind spot needed as part of setting off

There are many examiners who regard doing the blind spot every time as a requirement maybe because they cannot ever be certain that the driver knows what is or is not there

Just to clarify, when I mentioned the nearside mirror before moving off I was referring to the kerb or close proximity mirror which covers the blind spot on the left. Obviously the offside requires a physical look downwards. Even with all the checks done there are still areas the driver cannot see depending how close the other vehicles are to the truck.

As said, certainly every time you move off. I was taught to check on slip roads and when changing lanes to the right as well. It seems sensible and I still do it.

LGVTrainer:
Just to clarify, when I mentioned the nearside mirror before moving off I was referring to the kerb or close proximity mirror which covers the blind spot on the left. Obviously the offside requires a physical look downwards. Even with all the checks done there are still areas the driver cannot see depending how close the other vehicles are to the truck.

It’s a valid point that you make and I completely agree,in regards to checking the right blind spot on the move there are situations in which one is required to check on the move,some examples have already been given “slip road when joining m’way , lane changing on busy m’way or dual carriageway” its just that I’ve been told that regrdless of the situation one must always check that blind spot.Tbh this Adi overinstructs quite alot and it’s funny how everyone claims to be a grade 6.
I’ve asked the question here because no 1 I don’t have alot of faith in this Adi and no2 there seems to be quite alot of trainers on this forum that are very knowledgeable.

nick2008:

luc1982:
the nearside mirror before turning left is a must for any type of vehicle.

unless your a tipper driver or bus driver in London :wink:

Don’t I know it, had bus today overtaking my pupil and almost doing an emergency stop infront of us to drop passengers :open_mouth:

ADI is not the appropriate qualification for LGV Instruction. Chances are that your instructor has no qualification except a driving licence (hopefully). The relevant qualification is the DSA Voluntary Register of LGV Instructors. The grading system does not apply in the same way as for ADI. Somebody’s talking out of the bit they sit on.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

You’re instructor is spot on, why not check it, the only reason not to is careless or lazy driving. Sounds a bit over cautious but trucks are very long and a lot can happen in that space in between stopping and starting.

Peter Smythe:
ADI is not the appropriate qualification for LGV Instruction. Chances are that your instructor has no qualification except a driving licence (hopefully). The relevant qualification is the DSA Voluntary Register of LGV Instructors. The grading system does not apply in the same way as for ADI. Somebody’s talking out of the bit they sit on.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Aaa…I see, but isn’t there a qualifying process similar to adi tests…theory, advanced driving, instructional tests? Surely you can’t train on lgv vehicles without any formal qualifications ie just a licence.
Also I’ve noticed that the lorry does not have any dual controls,isn’t it mandatory for duals to be fitted for insurance and obviously safety reasons?

Boris1971:
You’re instructor is spot on, why not check it, the only reason not to is careless or lazy driving. Sounds a bit over cautious but trucks are very long and a lot can happen in that space in between stopping and starting.

I don’t mind checking it,it’s just that I wasn’t sure if its a must on test and as I said before I don’t particularly trust this instructor which is why I posted the question here.

Surely you can’t train on lgv vehicles without any formal qualifications ie just a licence.

Sadly, that is exactly what you can do (having held it for 3 years) and there are right cowboys out there doing it…
Hence it is highly advisable to find a DSA registered instructor to be sure of the quality you are getting.

Also I’ve noticed that the lorry does not have any dual controls,isn’t it mandatory for duals to be fitted for insurance and obviously safety reasons?

The idea is that having passed a car test you have a bit of common sense and should know how to find and press a brake pedal and clutch… so no it is not mandatory.
Normally the park brake can be reached by the instructor, and he did apply this for me when I tried to do a hill start (going forwards) in reverse once!

There are some trucks with dual controls but in my experience these seem to be the ones used for MOD contracts although there may be others.

Most depend on the parking brake, occasionally grabbing the steering wheel and perhaps knocking it into neutral in last gasp moments. Personally I depend on anticipating the actions of other motorists balanced with my drivers ability and talking the next 30 seconds through.

In all fairness most trainers with more than 20 years experience have long since gone grey. LOL. Then again it would be a long day without a few near misses.

th2013:

Surely you can’t train on lgv vehicles without any formal qualifications ie just a licence.

Sadly, that is exactly what you can do (having held it for 3 years) and there are right cowboys out there doing it…
Hence it is highly advisable to find a DSA registered instructor to be sure of the quality you are getting.

The idea is that having passed a car test you have a bit of common sense and should know how to find and press a brake pedal and clutch… so no it is not mandatory.
Normally the park brake can be reached by the instructor, and he did apply this for me when I tried to do a hill start (going forwards) in reverse once!

So is there any kind of badge or certificate that’s suposed to be on display or can be asked to see by the client?

LGVTrainer:
There are some trucks with dual controls but in my experience these seem to be the ones used for MOD contracts although there may be others.

Most depend on the parking brake, occasionally grabbing the steering wheel and perhaps knocking it into neutral in last gasp moments. Personally I depend on anticipating the actions of other motorists balanced with my drivers ability and talking the next 30 seconds through.

In all fairness most trainers with more than 20 years experience have long since gone grey. LOL. Then again it would be a long day without a few near misses.

I always use my duals as a last resort,the voice is an instructor’s biggest asset,for jokes during lessons :smiley:

DSA registered LGV trainers do have a badge very similar to an ADI cert that can go in the windscreen. If the trainer claims to be DSA reg then ask to see it. It is not however a legal requirement to display it at all times.

Things are becoming quite clear that it’s very hard to find decent lgv instructors that actually know their stuff.Well I’ve got my p test booked for the 20th of oct on class 2 after which I think I will contact a trainer from this forum to do my class 1.
Many thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply to my post’s.