Blind spot check on test

Depends where you live as there are some good instructors in many areas as well as some on here

luc1982:

Peter Smythe:
ADI is not the appropriate qualification for LGV Instruction. Chances are that your instructor has no qualification except a driving licence (hopefully). The relevant qualification is the DSA Voluntary Register of LGV Instructors. The grading system does not apply in the same way as for ADI. Somebody’s talking out of the bit they sit on.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Aaa…I see, but isn’t there a qualifying process similar to adi tests…theory, advanced driving, instructional tests? Surely you can’t train on lgv vehicles without any formal qualifications ie just a licence.
Also I’ve noticed that the lorry does not have any dual controls,isn’t it mandatory for duals to be fitted for insurance and obviously safety reasons?

Advanced driving is not part of the ADI qualification - or have they introduced that in the last year?

TBH - general LGV driving is very close to advanced driving in most cases - as an IAM observer I get LGV drivers to AD test standard in a super short time compared to most car drivers I have as associates
The local CO-OP were putting some of their LGV drivers through the advanced at one point and before they took the test I went out with them on a half day run just once

Many LGV trainers have also passed an AD driving test at some point usually with the IAM or ROSPA

My badge sits in a tray in the office. At the start of a course I produce it and then put it back in the tray. Because we use so many different vehicles, I’m not clever enough to keep moving it from one to t’other! And, whilst it’s not a requirement to display it, it’s surely something that the trainee should see for re-assurance.

BTW, similar to ADI badge but it’s blue.

There’s two ways of being certain you have a DSA Reg instructor. One is to ask for the badge (but it’s probably a bit late by then). The other is to use a DSA Accredited LGV Training Centre. We are not allowed to employ unqualified instructors. This is the list dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

Be aware that some trainers claim to be DSA Accredited when they are not. This is a straightforward, old fashioned lie.

ROG:

luc1982:

Peter Smythe:
ADI is not the appropriate qualification for LGV Instruction. Chances are that your instructor has no qualification except a driving licence (hopefully). The relevant qualification is the DSA Voluntary Register of LGV Instructors. The grading system does not apply in the same way as for ADI. Somebody’s talking out of the bit they sit on.

Aaa…I see, but isn’t there a qualifying process similar to adi tests…theory, advanced driving, instructional tests? Surely you can’t train on lgv vehicles without any formal qualifications ie just a licence.
Also I’ve noticed that the lorry does not have any dual controls,isn’t it mandatory for duals to be fitted for insurance and obviously safety reasons?

Advanced driving is not part of the ADI qualification - or have they introduced that in the last year?
It’s not advanced driving per say but still a much higher standard of driving compared to the L test,it was a bit misleading of me to call it advanced driving.
I have done the Rospa test and the are a few differences compared to the Adi part 2 test.
TBH - general LGV driving is very close to advanced driving in most cases - as an IAM observer I get LGV drivers to AD test standard in a super short time compared to most car drivers I have as associates
The local CO-OP were putting some of their LGV drivers through the advanced at one point and before they took the test I went out with them on a half day run just once

Many LGV trainers have also passed an AD driving test at some point usually with the IAM or ROSPA

It’s not advanced driving per say but still a much higher standard of driving compared to the L test,it was a bit misleading of me to call it advanced driving.
I have done the Rospa test and the are a few differences compared to the Adi part 2 test.

I live in NW London, can you recommend me a good class1 trainer? I am willing to travel for a good service at a decent price.

Our place at Peterborough is £900 incl VAT and test. Remember to ask for Trucknet discount.

Peter Smythe:
Our place at Peterborough is £900 incl VAT and test. Remember to ask for Trucknet discount.

Many thanks for the info, I’ve got my class 2 test on the 20th after which I’ll probably give you a call for a chat.

All the best with it. Pete :laughing: :laughing: