Len Valsler Transport

In the interests of balance, I’d like to see some posts from others who’ve worked for Len, remember, my experiences with the management of the company were 25 years ago, many things have changed - they are still going strong so they must be doing something right.

stravaiger:
Here’s one I snapped parked up in Kendal less than 2 years ago. It was placed in Bubblemans scrapbook and you might have a good look in there. Happy hunting :smiley:

Ive got a nice photo of an LV Daf 3300, reg noTMX 85X. I’ll try and find it for you.

Mark R:
Ive got a nice photo of an LV Daf 3300, reg noTMX 85X. I’ll try and find it for you.

I think that one was ex Dial (all roads) transport. It was driven by a guy called Colin who transferred across with the Daf!

I was looking through some old photos, and I found these, they were all taken at Northfleet Carnival, and I believe it was in 1978.

The three Guys were all ■■■■■■■ powered, RKT479G was the one Len drove for Bill Wallis, which I believe was the first one that Len ever had from new. The white and green Seddon was (I think) later painted in Len’s colours, and I’m not 100% on this, but either this one or a Bewick Seddon caught fire coming up Bluebell Hill towards the M2 junction.

I’m sure Dennis could confirm whether or not it was one of his, I seem to remember it was a ‘G’ plate, so quite an old one at the time…

This was the “graveyard” at Milnthorpe and the Seddon in the middle was the one that “fired” on Bluebell Hill GJM 248G ex Henry Cookes and aquired by us in Jan '77.

Bewick:
This was the “graveyard” at Milnthorpe and the Seddon in the middle was the one that “fired” on Bluebell Hill GJM 248G ex Henry Cookes and aquired by us in Jan '77.

Ah yes, I thought it was a ‘G’ plate. just a few numbers down from the old Moggy Minor van!

I’m sure that my dad used to get back loads from LV in the early to mid 80’s back to the North West i remmber going a few times as a kid in the holidays.

I also remember a compound full of flat bed trailers(loads of them) loaded with lead ingots iirc right.

A recent newspaper article about Len Valsler Transport

Is the stevedore company who operate the steel terminal in Sheerness related to the above company. LV Handling Sheerness Dock

I know there used to be some confusion between a company I worked for, LV Shipping. That was part of Lensveld from Vllardingen.

Len Valsler Transport (L.V. Transport) has no connection whatsoever with either L V Shipping or L V Handling. It is just a common misunderstanding.

Wheel Nut:
A recent newspaper article about Len Valsler Transport

Is the stevedore company who operate the steel terminal in Sheerness related to the above company. LV Handling Sheerness Dock

I know there used to be some confusion between a company I worked for, LV Shipping. That was part of Lensveld from Vllardingen.

Len worked for A & H Hardy up until 1964 when he moved to R.K. Baldock driving a Bedford TK on long distance work.

Bender:

Stanfield:
A couple here which I put on the Bewick thread ages ago,taken from Heritage Commercial mag in 2008.10
JOHN

I remember the Guy from when Len worked for Wallis Haulage of Dartford. He had a Guy Invincible before the Big J, and an old Leyland before that.

I also remember Len driving a Bedford KM four wheeler and an Albion six wheeler for R.K. Baldock, which must have been in the late 60s.

There isn’t a book but twelve chapters of Len’s experiences were written for the Fifth Wheel Lorry Club of which a small part was published in Heritage Commercial

Wheel Nut:

Stanfield:
Hi Bender
He had a big writeup in the Heritage Commercial mag around about June 2008,I still have the mag I will dig it out and hopefully put some more on here for you.
JOHN.

There was a series running over about 4 issues. I missed one or two and tried to get them from Dover to Grangemouth. Very interesting though, is there a book?

Don’t worry Big Al, you are correct :slight_smile: Les Purdon is an old friend of Lens

Big Al:

I think Leslie Purdon the transport Author of Truckers North Truckers South was driving this LV Transport ERF at the
2008 Kelsall Rally ( of course I am getting old and might have got it all wrong :smiley: :smiley: :slight_smile: ) regards Big Al

Welcome to the site LVT. I am sure we will hear much more from you and Bewick :laughing:

Big hello from Len to Stan, Alan and Brian. Hope everyone is well, we are still here after 35 years!!! What happened to Joe, Johnny and the other lads. How old is Stan’s lad now? Still see plenty of the North-East lads in the yard from Fergusons, Murray Hogg, Bruce Express and Howard Long (Crawfords as was).

We always ask if anyone has seen any of the Freeways drivers on their travels.

marcus 22:
Hi bender some of len,s old friends from up north from freeway haulage tell him
STAN (the man) FAHY
ALAN( wrangler) HODGEON
BRIAN HOUSTON asking after him thanks mark

This was taken in a car park behind Len’s house in 1972. Vehicle (reg MEC 98K) was loaded with pig iron from Workington to be delivered over to Barking.

The Council used to turn a blind eye. (It’s not what you know, but who you know!!!)

Keeping local people in employment was a factor though.

Bender:

Bewick:
This is one for “Bender” seeing as he appears to be on a Downer!Question for a £----When and where was this shot taken?

That would have been about 72 or 73, in the car park near the cemetery off Springhead Road (my dad took over the allotment garden behind the fence)

I am amazed that the council didn’t have anything to say about the number of trailers that used to get parked there!

This vehicle is driven by a Dave, a Kendal man. He has been with L.V. Transport for over 12 years now.
Due to retire soon, but is keen to stay (good new’s for LV, he is a top driver)

stravaiger:
Here’s one I snapped parked up in Kendal less than 2 years ago. It was placed in Bubblemans scrapbook and you might have a good look in there. Happy hunting :smiley:

Incidently, it’s ok within reason to transfer Bubbs images to help a thread along (With full credit).'cos I asked already :wink: …jim

TMX 85X was purchased from a DAF dealer. It was ex. Burroughs & Welcome from Dartford.

The DAF from Dials was sold to an owner driver who worked as a subby to LV and when he gave this up he came to work for Len as a driver. He retired about 3 years ago but still does a bit of ‘casual’ driving along with other retired LV drivers for Len.

Bender:

Mark R:

I think that one was ex Dial (all roads) transport. It was driven by a guy called Colin who transferred across with the Daf!

The ultimate BOGOF!

hello lenny

i am that little fella that used to come in with stan, i remember the biscuits you used to give me and the soft drinks. I am 45 this year lenny and dad is 65, johnny rodham retired a couple of year ago , bob hodgeon alans dad passed away a couple of years ago, alan hodgeon still their as is my dad 37 year at freeway now, but its had a couple of owners since peter corbett sold up.

my younger brother graeme works at freeways aswell len he is 36 now we both used to come into your yard with dad.

joe corbett is still about aswell lenny he is in his 80,s now walkie talkie (geoff) retired a couple of year ago,

eric minto still about aswell who used to drive the wagon & drag he has his own truck but is retired and his son drives it.

little dickie donughnut passed away a couple of year ago.

brian (JOCK) houston is on for jr adams, terry mcnally retired, matty collins passed away a few year ago, tony davison had his own truck dont know if he is still driving,

passed your place a few times over the years lenny heading down for the ferry at dover, i was working for ron tailford which is now RTH-lubbers doing the offshore gear abroad but i left their 2004 to go and work offshore myself, my dad stiil says lenny always looked after the freeways lads when they where at your yard wether they needed the chip shop or the pub you made sure they got their.

can you remember the night the wheels got robbed of wranglers trailer you made sure he got sorted with some more .and if they needed extra sheets you loaned them to the drivers knowing you would get them back the next week.

i also remember the wheel trims you had on your office wall dad was always after them.

its good to hear from you len keep in touch and i will tell stan you were asking after him and the lads.

regards
Mark fahy ( stans boy)

The white and green Seddon belonged to Douglas Brass Transport of Northallerton who was and still is one of LV’s subbys.

Bender:
I was looking through some old photos, and I found these, they were all taken at Northfleet Carnival, and I believe it was in 1978.

The three Guys were all ■■■■■■■ powered, RKT479G was the one Len drove for Bill Wallis, which I believe was the first one that Len ever had from new. The white and green Seddon was (I think) later painted in Len’s colours, and I’m not 100% on this, but either this one or a Bewick Seddon caught fire coming up Bluebell Hill towards the M2 junction.

I’m sure Dennis could confirm whether or not it was one of his, I seem to remember it was a ‘G’ plate, so quite an old one at the time…