Left-Hand Drive E-series ERFs

colinwallace1:

robert1952:
Here’s a Spanish E14:410 from a German website. Robert

Looks like its been on its side,windscreen missing and mirrors bent in.

That’s what I thought Colin! At least the air-con unit on the roof didn’t pop out. Robert

robert1952:
Just found these pics of a Bulgarian registered (ex-Spanish) LHD E-series with a ■■■■■■■ 350 in it, posted by ‘pete359’ on the Welsh thread back in July 2010. His caption is as follows:

Parked up in Ostende amongst the hundreds of East European artics was this old battle worn E-series ERF. She was waiting for a trailer to come in loaded for Germany and it’s Bulgarian driver explained that he travels all over Europe with it.

Robert :smiley:

Nice to see this ERF again. I imported this truck from Spain and sold it after a while to a Bulgarian.
It still carries my company name INTERWHEELS behind the sunvisor. I think she’s done more than 1.5m miles by now.

Rene

Leyland_marathon2:

robert1952:
Just found these pics of a Bulgarian registered (ex-Spanish) LHD E-series with a ■■■■■■■ 350 in it, posted by ‘pete359’ on the Welsh thread back in July 2010. His caption is as follows:

Parked up in Ostende amongst the hundreds of East European artics was this old battle worn E-series ERF. She was waiting for a trailer to come in loaded for Germany and it’s Bulgarian driver explained that he travels all over Europe with it.

Robert :smiley:

Nice to see this ERF again. I imported this truck from Spain and sold it after a while to a Bulgarian.
It still carries my company name INTERWHEELS behind the sunvisor. I think she’s done more than 1.5m miles by now.

Rene

Thank you for that, Rene. I did actually notice the INTERWHEELS name on the headboard when I posted the picture, and wondered if you’d had a hand in it somewhere down the line! Cheers, Robert

Hey,

pitty we never had de EC here in Belgium so far I know.
Read once that a Britsh haulier got some back from spain and converted them to right hand drives The blue Turner ■■?
Only some Fodens in the '90’s were here, who sold them, Importer ■■?

Eric,

tiptop495:
Hey,

pitty we never had de EC here in Belgium so far I know.
Read once that a Britsh haulier got some back from spain and converted them to right hand drives The blue Turner ■■?
Only some Fodens in the '90’s were here, who sold them, Importer ■■?

Eric,

This is the E-series thread, Eric! But you’re right: I don’t think Belgium had either E-series or EC-series. From what I remember, those re-imported Turner conversions were ECX-series; and one of them (pictured below) was given a 13-speed Fuller! Robert

The city of Bruxelles had some EC’s for garbage-collection.
Perkins-powered on a CNG-base, so very green then.

Luc

Thank’s,

Eric,

Returning swiftly and neatly back to the LHD E-series, I’ve just found a shot I’ve not previously seen, of the ‘Norseman’ high cabbed example. Robert

24e92397b9a78ce54b8bdfcf56c05d4d.jpg

‘Use a name’ posted this French one on the photo forum. Robert

What appears to be a Perkins TX400-powered Dutch E-series with a rest-cab (notice the flat top). Robert

Another Spanish example. Robert

v59_2.jpg

Just scanned this E-series brochure. It’s RHD but pretty well all the details apply to this thread (all except the Fuller option, that is: export E-series all seem to have had Twin-splitters and I’ve yet to find evidence of Fuller 9 or 13-sp boxes on left-hookers). There’s a useful table on the last page! Robert

CONTINUED IN FOLLOWING POST…

CONTINUED…

401550_298701283507847_100001039328002_867757_574584761_n.jpg

robert1952:

ERF-Continental:
Ebro was the Spanish Ford with some familiarity to the D-series. You prefer the more heavier Barreiros with a NTC335?

I think the Barreiros Dodge came with a Chrysler engine and 9-speed Fuller, didn’t it? The cab wasn’t very big! Robert :slight_smile:

I had a Spanish Dodge in 1976 brand new, BRS rental, but the gearbox wasn’t a fuller roadranger, I think they came later, Robert. Cliff.

Dieseldog66:

robert1952:

ERF-Continental:
Ebro was the Spanish Ford with some familiarity to the D-series. You prefer the more heavier Barreiros with a NTC335?

I think the Barreiros Dodge came with a Chrysler engine and 9-speed Fuller, didn’t it? The cab wasn’t very big! Robert :slight_smile:

I had a Spanish Dodge in 1976 brand new, BRS rental, but the gearbox wasn’t a fuller roadranger, I think they came later, Robert. Cliff.

Yeah, most of them seemed to have been equipped with the ZF constant-mesh 'box which wasn’t nearly as good as the Fuller! Robert

Found a couple more LHD Spanish E-series pics on the stands at Gaydon this weekend. Photos are by Arthur Ingram, by the way. Enjoy! Robert

erflhd.PNG

I’ve just thought of a new theory as to why only the Twin-splitter (or its SAMT equivalent semi-automated version) gearbox was offered on the LHD Euro-spec E-series. If you read the '92 test on the previous page, the prototype Euro-spec unit was being tested for French (and presumably Spanish) type approval in readiness for ERF’s re-entry into Europe as an exporter in 1993. The writing was already on the wall for Fuller 'boxes in Europe by then and the French and Spanish may well have put legislation, or at least preferences in place. Therefore, I reckon that ERF offered only the Twin-splitter in consequence. I know of very few UK operators who ran these, but I strongly suspect that if a UK operator had requested a Fuller RTX 14609 (such as were being offered in the flagship RHD version with the ■■■■■■■ NTE 400 engine aimed at owner-drivers), he might have been able to obtain one.

Indeed, Patrick Dyer’s excellent book on the E-series states that in 1987 ERF launched its ‘Supertruck’ package, aimed mostly at owner-drivers and prestigious small fleets. The Supertruck package was an option that could be applied to any E14 tractive unit fitted with the NTE 320/350/400 and a full sleeper cab. The spec included the full air-management kit, catwalk, coupling lamp, air horn and exterior locker; whilst inside the driver got a Jake-brake, air suspension seat, stereo and night-heater (you mean all that wasn’t standard equipment!?). Gearboxes were the standard Twin-splitter and SAMT, but the fuller RTX 14609 was also available for trucks fitted with the NTE 400 engine. Now I wonder if you could ask for a LHD Supertruck package – I’ll bet you could!

Robert