Left-Hand Drive E-series ERFs

Here is the spec sheet for the LHD E-series with the Perkins TX / Eaton Twin-splitter option. It’s in French. Robert

And here is the spec sheet for the LHD E-series with the ■■■■■■■ / Eaton Twin-splitter option. It too, is in French. Thanks to A-J for sending me these some time ago :smiley: . Robert

I have just stumbled on an important discovery about ERF’s re-entry into the European export market in the early ‘90s. In 1992 Pat Kennett conducted a Euro Test Special around the Ardennes route with a European spec E-series which met France’s type-approval rules. But this test vehicle had RHD instead of LHD! However, the machine acquitted itself remarkably well. The new European E-series was to be offered as either an E12.400 (Perkins TX) or an E14.410 (■■■■■■■■■ connected to either an Eaton Twin-splitter or the semi-automated version, SAMT. They were the choices.

At the end of the Euro Test, Pat Kennett reports that:

For the initial markets of France, Spain and Portugal, a working network of distributors is in the process of being established, with long-term targets of 18 in France and 12 in Spain. In addition ERF’s ‘European Freeway’ system has the support of nearly 1000 independent workshops in 16 countries.

We are then reminded that the E12 version costs only two-thirds of the cost of a DAF 95 and that: Even allowing for good distributor margins and service cost provisions, ERF can expect good commercial figures without being accused of ‘dumping’.

I will scan and post the whole piece as soon as I can. Robert

Further to my post above herewith, as promised, the scan of the Dec '92 Euro Test in question. I remind you that the pictures show a RHD ERF on a LHD ERF thread simply because it was a Euro-spec test vehicle with its steering wheel on the ‘wrong’ side! Enjoy. Robert

This LHD vehicle has appeared several times on this thread before, but new picture here. Robert

Scan_20150729 (6).jpg

A question for anyone who had any mechanical / engineering connections with the LHD E-series. Clearly they were supplied with Eaton Twins-splitter 'boxes; but if a customer had asked the factory to supply a LHD unit with a 9-speed Fuller 'box, would that have been feasible? It certainly was in the RHD version because many were supplied, but I wondered if there was any reason why an F9 couldn’t go in a LHD unit. Cheers! Robert

Just found these pics of a Bulgarian registered (ex-Spanish) LHD E-series with a ■■■■■■■ 350 in it, posted by ‘pete359’ on the Welsh thread back in July 2010. His caption is as follows:

Parked up in Ostende amongst the hundreds of East European artics was this old battle worn E-series ERF. She was waiting for a trailer to come in loaded for Germany and it’s Bulgarian driver explained that he travels all over Europe with it.

Robert :smiley:

EC11 pic removed :blush: .
Oily

oiltreader:
Fine example for you Robert, courtesy of Andy Breeden, taken in Luxembourg.
Oily

Thanks Oily! Though I think that one’s not an E-series :wink: Robert

robert1952:

oiltreader:
Oily

EC11 badge on driver’s o/side Robert, I should’ve looked closer :blush: shows how much I know :unamused:
Oily

oiltreader:

robert1952:

oiltreader:
Oily

EC11 badge on driver’s o/side Robert, I should’ve looked closer :blush: shows how much I know :unamused:
Oily

And plus, it had foreign number plates Oily - all very confusing :laughing: . Cheers old mate! Robert

robert1952:

oiltreader:

robert1952:

oiltreader:
Oily

Oily

And plus, it had foreign number plates Oily - all very confusing :laughing: . Cheers old mate! Robert

Found a home for it on Guesty44’s ERF Beautys thread.
Cheers
Oily

oiltreader:
Found a home for it on Guesty44’s ERF Beautys thread.
Cheers
Oily

There is actually a ‘Left-Hand Drive EC-series ERFs’ on here with other pics of that Luxembourg EC on it. :wink: Robert

Here’s a Spanish E14:410 from a German website. Robert

robert1952:

Robert,

Where did you find that photo ? That’s one of Pastors old lorries, that I’ve mentioned on before.

And with a light weight trailer, I was on the same job as them extending barcelona port walls. I didn’t take any photos unfortunately but think I have one from my boss at the time. I’ll attempt to post it

Not an erf

Tubbysboy:
Not an erf

Again I’ve managed to cobble up the fotos…

Not an erf, but was on the same job as roberts picture.

I steered the old Merc in the foto for about 2 years and all of pastors drivers had ERFs and no one could keep up with them.

Was also another firm on the same job called Alfonso who had 4 or 5 525 ERFs driven by South Americans who used to lap us all during the night/ day… I have no photos unfortunately…

Thanks for that extra info, Tubbysboy. The pic was from Baumachinenbilder website. Cheers, Robert

robert1952:
This LHD vehicle has appeared several times on this thread before, but new picture here. Robert

That lorry used to ship through Poole alot and if memory serves me right it was operated by
a husband and wife who both drove.

poole5.PNG

robert1952:

Looks like its been on its side,windscreen missing and mirrors bent in.