lease or buy??

shuttlespanker:

ibson:
They can’t obviously, it might have been a bit of bull [zb], but I can see why it put you off.

from the sales manager?

why would he want to put people off by telling them a load of crap?

There could be many reasons, he might have said it flippantly and actually want to sell you a truck not lease one, their sales might be down, he may have had a bad experience leasing trucks (a few come back ■■■■■■ and had problems getting the money), he may be tarring everyone with the same brush and think that all trucks will come back in that condition.

£6000 seems high, maybe the truck was really abused, it doesn’t sound like it had full R&M with the company the leased it that’s for sure.

I’m not saying your telling fibs, I’m saying he COULD have been telling fibs.

A sales manager won’t open a conversation on a truck you want to buy with all the negatives, in fact he won’t mention many, he wants to sell it to you, it’s our job to ask why is it so cheap/expensive, do our home work on common faults and ask him, not ask him if there are any, he probably won’t know of any. I wouldn’t trust a sales manager as far as I could throw one, I’m not saying they are out to do you, I’m just saying its the nature of the game.

routier:

shuttlespanker:

ibson:
The replies in favour of leasing are interesting, I bet most people who nay say it have probably never leased and are scared away by other people who have never leased, it all seems like hear say.

I would definitely consider it if I ever got a secure contract.

when i was told by the dealer to keep a figure in excess of £6000 for the repairs to the truck, before i even had it, that is hardly hearsay now is it? :unamused:

think it depends who you lease from ? that does not exist if you are direct…

this was a brand new truck from a main dealer

ibson:

shuttlespanker:

ibson:
They can’t obviously, it might have been a bit of bull [zb], but I can see why it put you off.

from the sales manager?

There could be many reasons, he might have said it flippantly and actually want to sell you a truck not lease one, their sales might be down, he may have had a bad experience leasing trucks (a few come back [zb] and had problems getting the money), he may be tarring everyone with the same brush and think that all trucks will come back in that condition.

they were actively pushing the 3 year lease, not selling

ibson:
£6000 seems high, maybe the truck was really abused, it doesn’t sound like it had full R&M with the company the leased it that’s for sure.

the truck was a brand new truck from a main dealer with full R+M package included and full 3 year warranty, he didn’t give us the chance to ‘abuse’ it, as we declined the lease, at the quoted figure of £6000 at the end of the lease, it worked out a better proposition to purchase the truck and have an asset at the end of the agreement instead of giving it back to the dealer with a massive wedge of cash

ibson:

A sales manager won’t open a conversation on a truck you want to buy with all the negatives, in fact he won’t mention many, he wants to sell it to you, it’s our job to ask why is it so cheap/expensive, do our home work on common faults and ask him, not ask him if there are any, he probably won’t know of any. I wouldn’t trust a sales manager as far as I could throw one, I’m not saying they are out to do you, I’m just saying its the nature of the game.

we asked about the end of lease terms and conditions, and what would be expected, this was all part of ‘doing our homework’ before the truck was leased

Well you did your home work and you made the best decision that suited you.

I definitely wouldn’t rule out lease for the right job or contract, but I doubt I will ever get one as I don’t do the sort of work that would grant leasing in the first place.

shuttlespanker:

ibson:

shuttlespanker:

ibson:

from the sales manager?

There could be many reasons, he might have said it flippantly and actually want to sell you a truck not lease one, their sales might be down, he may have had a bad experience leasing trucks (a few come back [zb] and had problems getting the money), he may be tarring everyone with the same brush and think that all trucks will come back in that condition.

they were actively pushing the 3 year lease, not selling

ibson:

the truck was a brand new truck from a main dealer with full R+M package included and full 3 year warranty, he didn’t give us the chance to ‘abuse’ it, as we declined the lease, at the quoted figure of £6000 at the end of the lease, it worked out a better proposition to purchase the truck and have an asset at the end of the agreement instead of giving it back to the dealer with a massive wedge of cash

ibson:

we asked about the end of lease terms and conditions, and what would be expected, this was all part of ‘doing our homework’ before the truck was leased

Horses for courses, the sales office will initially steer you in the direction they are instructed to follow, but you’ll end up where the reps commission lies, a quote for £6k of repairs on a truck he’s not even seen would seem a diversion tactic to me :confused: . Fact: truck salesmen never go to heaven :stuck_out_tongue: .
In my case I went to look at a s/h truck, and the rep talked me out of it and into a lower spec but new leased motor.
3 yrs full r&m and safety inspections included for £235.00 per week certainly stacked up, and was equal to the depreciation and maintainance costs I would have suffered on the s/h motor.
The fact that MB had a field full of euro 2 motors they had to get registered within a month before euro 3 came in may have had something to do with the good deal :grimacing: . They did try it on a bit over a tyre when it went back, but nothing extra was payed in the end :sunglasses:

shuttlespanker:

routier:

shuttlespanker:

ibson:
The replies in favour of leasing are interesting, I bet most people who nay say it have probably never leased and are scared away by other people who have never leased, it all seems like hear say.

I would definitely consider it if I ever got a secure contract.

when i was told by the dealer to keep a figure in excess of £6000 for the repairs to the truck, before i even had it, that is hardly hearsay now is it? :unamused:

think it depends who you lease from ? that does not exist if you are direct…

this was a brand new truck from a main dealer

Brother had one from Volvo… its just gone back and he didnt have to pay any extra.

Maybe it’s just the dealer Shuttlespanker went to then…

Ibson i’m 100 percent with you whilst i don’t dispute anyones version of events sometimes dealers work in mysterious ways. Going back 3 years ago i needed to replace some trucks that were costing me money. To cut a long story short a new unit was advertised a very attractive rate the problem was they wouldn’t make any money it was a supermarket lossleader if i wanted the truck it was take an inflated r and m package or pay cash

i have been looking into replacing my current workhorse, so been in deep talks with 3 main dealers, iveco,merc and man. i have priced to purchase over 5 years with a 7 year r&m package, and also to lease the vehicle over 5 years with full r&m, road tax and tyres included in the lease price, and to be truthful on the lease side there is only a few hundred quid per month difference on all the dealers. at present iveco come out on top, i know some are going to say i would never have one of those! but if i does the same job as another truck but costs less per month its pretty simple maths.

as a simple rule of thumb the lease is working out near £30 grand saving over the lease period, compared to purchase and no 5 yr old truck is going to be worth £30 grand at the end that period.

on the purchase side i have looked at figures with a guaranteed buy back as well, on a 3 year term its not great and goes down hill from there!

on the merc the r&m package was over £200 per month less than the scania deal we had with our last purchased truck last year,
and the iveco came in at over£300 per month less.

the hardest thing was convincing my boss of the savings as he has always purchased, but once he saw all the figures broken down and in black and white in front of him, the lease option was the best way forward. as someone else said earlier having not purchased has keep the vehicle off book and that does have some good tax advantages.

currently waiting for the first demonstrator, but as we have to have wet pack its going to be a few weeks while the dealers sort it, i will try and keep you up todate with some feed back when i can

reguards pete

bee chris:
im doing some serious research about getting my own unit and start up as a OD

Take out a 6 month rental on a decent unit that will suit your type of work. This will give you real world figures to determine which is the best path for you.

Stan

Many factors to consider :

one more is, when purchasing a vehicle, even on finance, there are capital TAX allowances to be taken against (any) profits made and you do have the flexibility to get out of the deal if things change during the life of the truck ?

Hi guys, just found this old thread,

Does anyone have anymore thoughts on this as I’m leaning heavily towards buying rather than leasing, I’m going to be a one man band

Does anyone have any relevant stories or current prices on lease deals etc ?

As some may know I’m looking to spend 10-15k on a 2010 onwards but open to leasing just feels like it’s better suited to the larger companies although on the flip side it will be super easy to get a 5k bill for eg a thrust bearing or ad blue related issue etc,

Also considering buying from maritime I understand inflated prices but good specs and 12 month warranty with full dealer history, also guarantee you work if needed , I know most will be shaking their heads at this,

I’m just dipping my toe in the water hoping not to get bit but sometimes I suppose you can listen to so many opinions but the real proof is in the doing it yourself as I have learned in the fuel game,

Any comments from anyone will be appreciated guys.

Wee Man:

Does anyone have anymore thoughts on this as I’m leaning heavily towards buying rather than leasing, I’m going to be a one man band

As some may know I’m looking to spend 10-15k on a 2010 onwards but open to leasing just feels like it’s better suited to the larger companies although on the flip side it will be super easy to get a 5k bill for eg a thrust bearing or ad blue related issue etc,

Also considering buying from maritime I understand inflated prices but good specs and 12 month warranty with full dealer history, also guarantee you work if needed , I know most will be shaking their heads at this,

I’m just dipping my toe in the water hoping not to get bit but sometimes I suppose you can listen to so many opinions but the real proof is in the doing it yourself as I have learned in the fuel game,

10-15K puts you in the worst of all worlds situation of a considerable capital outlay,with still some room for depreciation to be a factor and guaranteed relatively high maintenance costs.

As for me I’ve got the even madder idea that I ‘might’ just ‘possibly’ try to get back into the job for the last few years leading up to my retirement by going for the Marmite option.My plan is no more than 4 on 4 off,using a short term rented unit and skele trailer from somewhere like Ryder so,with the exception of insurance,I’m only actually paying for it’s running costs and depreciation costs when I’m using it.While ironically unlike when I was younger start up capital is no longer an issue for me and I need no more than a £11,000 pa wage out of the job to cover the household bills and leave a bit for myself while also staying under my income tax threshold.What’s not to like.

Which just leaves the question of the definition of distance ‘and’ local in the Marmite ad ?.As opposed to distance ‘or’ local.Which taken at face value would be a deal breaker for me only wanting distance ‘if’ I decided to try it.

Trouble is you are asking us to predict if you are going to have a major repair.

My preference is to buy. I had a couple of R&M deals on new trucks, always had the feeling I’d come off worst in the deal and was never happy with the level of maintenance. Bought one after the term finished and the stuff that needed doing on it was quite shocking to me.

What worries me at that price range though is that you are pretty much guaranteed problems. Only question is how expensive.

Carryfast:

Wee Man:

10-15K puts you in the worst of all worlds situation of a considerable capital outlay,with still some room for depreciation to be a factor and guaranteed relatively high maintenance costs.

As for me I’ve got the even madder idea that I ‘might’ just ‘possibly’ try to get back into the job for the last few years leading up to my retirement by going for the Marmite option.My plan is no more than 4 on 4 off,using a short term rented unit and skele trailer from somewhere like Ryder so,with the exception of insurance,I’m only actually paying for it’s running costs and depreciation costs when I’m using it.While ironically unlike when I was younger start up capital is no longer an issue for me and I need no more than a £11,000 pa wage out of the job to cover the household bills and leave a bit for myself while also staying under my income tax threshold.What’s not to like.

Which just leaves the question of the definition of distance ‘and’ local in the Marmite ad ?.As opposed to distance ‘or’ local.Which taken at face value would be a deal breaker for me only wanting distance ‘if’ I decided to try it.

What’s not to like!!!..with all your business acumen and knowledge of haulage :slight_smile: I cannot believe that you can make a statement like that.

I think it is called rate cutting, anyone that works on that business model is helping to drive down rates and depriving hauliers that need a reasonable income, from work.

matamoros:

Carryfast:

Wee Man:

What’s not to like!!!..with all your business acumen and knowledge of haulage :slight_smile: I cannot believe that you can make a statement like that.

I think it is called rate cutting, anyone that works on that business model is helping to drive down rates and depriving hauliers that need a reasonable income, from work.

He would be subbing to maritime, getting the rate they give him, not going and saying I’ll do it for 5p a mile less.

matamoros:

Carryfast:

Wee Man:

Not exactly where did I say I was going to under cut any rate. :confused: I said I personally don’t need a big wage so I could work less days and use an otherwise suicidal business model based on short term truck hire.But with the upside that if it breaks I don’t care I just ask them for another one,if there’s no work I could take it back for no extra charge,the same applies in the case of all my days off when I don’t need it.Again no charge.Then last but not least I’d pay no income tax because I wouldn’t be earning enough.So as I said what’s not to like. :wink:

Which leaves the question how do you register what could be a different truck every week on an O licence.

Jimmy McNulty:

matamoros:

Carryfast:

Wee Man:

He would be subbing to maritime, getting the rate they give him, not going and saying I’ll do it for 5p a mile less.

Save your breath he’ll never do it :unamused:

Punchy Dan:
Save your breath he’ll never do it :unamused:

But then again I just might depending on the definition of ‘and’ in that ad and getting a medical and a DCPC and working out how to use a digi tacho. :smiling_imp: :smiley:

Carryfast:
Not exactly where did I say I was going to under cut any rate. :confused: I said I personally don’t need a big wage so I could work less days and use an otherwise suicidal business model based on short term truck hire.But with the upside that if it breaks I don’t care I just ask them for another one,**if there’s no work I could take it back for no extra charge,the same applies in the case of all my days off when I don’t need it.Again no charge.**Then last but not least I’d pay no income tax because I wouldn’t be earning enough.So as I said what’s not to like. :wink:

Which leaves the question how do you register what could be a different truck every week on an O licence.

Seem like effort constantly hiring a truck for work a few days here and there. Surely if you ain’t putting your name on the truck you might as well be an agency mercenary.