Lease or buy?

My friend has a 1997 Iveco Cargo 7.5t box van.

They are looking to renew the vehicle in order to meet the Euro IV standard (or above) so that they can pick up the work that they lost in London when the new rules came into effect.

They don’t quite do 10,000 miles per year and therefore the safety inspections are only done every 3 months.

Is it worth buying a new (used) vehicle, or leasing a new one?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Having leased a new vehicle, I would never lease anything again.

Thanks for your comment.

Did you have a bad experience that you could put down to it being a one-off or do you think it would be the same for all leasing?

Is it a bad way to go on a financial aspect?

IIRC, the dealer wanted more money for the “damage” to the truck than the truck was actually worth at the end of the lease :open_mouth:

when it was queried, they suddenly dropped the costs :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

you will find that this is standard practice from most companies :confused:

Another gem was the Stralis I had was twin steer and didn’t have a lift axle, now after three years lease and every inspection form showing it was twin steer and not mid lift upon sending the unit back they want a grand off me to fit a lift axle as when the unit was originally given to me, in the paper work it was listed as having a lift axle which I didn’t notice at the time but I am sure someone will be along in a minute to tell me it’s my own fault for not reading every word on the reams of paperwork you get! The above and other things make leasing more hastle than it’s worth. It’s great when you first get the nice shiny motor but it’s a pain in the arris sending them back (in my experience). Maybe i’m in the minority.

Well, I think you’ve answer my friend’s question - thanks.

It sounds like leasing a new truck as opposed to buying is not the way to go.

I appreciate your comments and thoughts.

Silver_Surfer:
Another gem was the Stralis I had was twin steer and didn’t have a lift axle, now after three years lease and every inspection form showing it was twin steer and not mid lift upon sending the unit back they want a grand off me to fit a lift axle as when the unit was originally given to me, in the paper work it was listed as having a lift axle which I didn’t notice at the time but I am sure someone will be along in a minute to tell me it’s my own fault for not reading every word on the reams of paperwork you get! The above and other things make leasing more hastle than it’s worth. It’s great when you first get the nice shiny motor but it’s a pain in the arris sending them back (in my experience). Maybe i’m in the minority.

you’re not
my advice would be to buy one with an R & M contract, if you can get one at the right money