Learners on motorway

Nobby_Clarke:
It’s a good thing if they teach them properly. Such as the end of the on-ramp is a give way line,and keep to the left unless you’re overtaking. From what I’ve seen on A and B roads, some instructors need instructing though

No instructor should be particularly bad because if they were they’d never get a student to pass and wouldn’t be an instructor very long. : /

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

About time really. The lad I trained alongside when getting my class 2 came from the North West of Scotland and had never driven on a motorway in his car never mind a wagon. It was an experience to say the least!

I realise they have to train somewhere,but I have noticed a lot of schools are bringing their pupils onto industrial estates now,most ind est are private estates yet nothing is done to stop them,estate owners never do anything about them but they are quick enough to issue a ticket if you park on an estate,god help us when they start using the motorways,they cannot afford to make even the slightest mistake what with vehicles going past them at high speed,wonder how long it will be before a learner driver causes a pile up through doing something stupid by not listening to their instructor,it does happen as we all know

truckman020:
,they cannot afford to make even the slightest mistake what with vehicles going past them at high speed,wonder how long it will be before a learner driver causes a pile up through doing something stupid by not listening to their instructor,it does happen as we all know

Is that any more likely to happen than it is if a new driver goes on to a motorway for the first time just after passing their test, but without any supervision?

I bet the instructors are loving the idea of this… Take your pupil round town for 15 minutes and then chuck them on the motorway for the remainder… and they’ve just earned themselves a nice bit of dosh for nothing.

SouthEastCashew:
I bet the instructors are loving the idea of this… Take your pupil round town for 15 minutes and then chuck them on the motorway for the remainder… and they’ve just earned themselves a nice bit of dosh for nothing.

It’ll never happen. Driving lessons are simply training to pass the test. If motorway driving isn’t on the test, why take them on there.

My opinion is motorways should be for HGV & emergency vehicles only, car drivers to use A roads only, this would reduce the number of accidents.

UKtramp:
My opinion is motorways should be for HGV & emergency vehicles only, car drivers to use A roads only, this would reduce the number of accidents.

Not on A roads it wouldn’t … :unamused:

andrew.s:

UKtramp:

or motorways either :smiley:

When i took my car test I also took a pass plus course with my instructor which was all motorway training and helped a lot

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Graduated licencing would sort out a lot of these issues

It’s not like they are going to take someone as green as grass straight onto a motorway. That being said I’ve seen some horrific displays of driving by drivers who are supposed to be instructors!

UKtramp:

andrew.s:

UKtramp:

or motorways either :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Captain Caveman 76:

SouthEastCashew:

It’ll never happen. Driving lessons are simply training to pass the test. If motorway driving isn’t on the test, why take them on there.

This is it. In particular, I can’t see the companies like ‘5-day’ that peddle the intensive driving courses, rushing to incorporate training for something that isn’t tested. Most learners are only ever going to get half-arsed token bursts on the motorway where time allows.

I see no reason why 3/4 hours of real world motorway training after passing shouldn’t be mandatory before being allowed to drive on one. Those that reside in the arse end of Cornwall/East Anglia etc. mostly won’t be effected anyhow & they’ll just have to travel for the training should they need it.

rob22888:

Captain Caveman 76:

SouthEastCashew:

This is it. In particular, I can’t see the companies like ‘5-day’ that peddle the intensive driving courses, rushing to incorporate training for something that isn’t tested. Most learners are only ever going to get half-arsed token bursts on the motorway where time allows.

I see no reason why 3/4 hours of real world motorway training after passing shouldn’t be mandatory before being allowed to drive on one. Those that reside in the arse end of Cornwall/East Anglia etc. mostly won’t be effected anyhow & they’ll just have to travel for the training should they need it.

I dunno. Did exactly that back in 1979 when I did my car test in the army. Two week course, test at end of first week; the second week was factored in for those who failed first time, but if you passed, you used that week up, accompanied by an instructor of course, doing motorways and learning a few basic defensive driving techniques as we’d call them today. It stood me in good stead, and I think this change is long overdue.

A lot of motorway technique can be taught on dual carriageways and most counties outside Scotland have at least some of that within radius.

Great idea and about time. Also something else I think is that all training should be done by a qualified instructor, not friends and family because let’s face it when friends and family do it its the blind leading the blind!

SouthEastCashew:

My wife is an instructor and she said she’ll only take them on the motorway if they wanted to and literally in the final run up to their test and certainly not what you suggested.

Judging by the standard of driving I saw yesterday on M40/M25, it can’t come soon enough!

Absolutely no lane discipline, no understanding of how their actions affect other road users, just no comprehension of anything further away than the end of their own bonnet.

I’ve said before that,regardless of statistics,I find UK motorways the most dangerous in Europe generally speaking even if only for the sheer recklesssness and lack of awareness of many.Lane discipline and use of indicators have virtually ceased to exist among the average car driver and they appear not to even see large lorries or buses.On the other side of the channel car drivers seem to have much more awareness of the presence and handling characteristics of large vehicles which we Brits lack.
Over here I think public information short films on driving should be broadcast.After passing a test,some motorway driving lessons should be compulsory.
I also think that lorry speed limit should be raised to 60mph to counter bunching and frustration for lighter faster vehicles.
A police presence would also be nice to catch those among us without manners on the roads.