Learner drivers on motorway

the goverment are considering lifting the ban preventing learner drivers using the motorway network. what are your thoughts on this subject?
mine are divided, 1 side says yes let them on as it the only way they will learn, but the other side of me says no as it could lead too some nasty incidents on what is already a crowded road system

Judging by the way licensed car drivers are on the motorway, I reckon the learners will raise the standard. Hell, they can’t be any worse than Mr. Rep caning it down L3 2ft from the car in front before carving across 3 lanes to the slip road as he passes the exit lines.

scotstrucker:
the goverment are considering lifting the ban preventing learner drivers using the motorway network. what are your thoughts on this subject?
mine are divided, 1 side says yes let them on as it the only way they will learn, but the other side of me says no as it could lead too some nasty incidents on what is already a crowded road system

It could have some nasty outcomes as you say if it’s pre test learners being allowed onto the motorways but I do think there should be motorway training. Should be a 2 stage car test IMHO, “normal” roads first followed by a second more advanced test for motorway driving.

And anyone caught hogging lane 2 with no good reason should be sent on a motorway awareness course and taught how to use them properly. When driving a heavy vehicle with a limiter on a clear motorway you should never be catching some bozo in a biscuit tin dawdling in the middle lane but it’s happening more and more.

things have changed quite a bit since i past my test. you just went at it, and learned by your mistakes.
but the motorways nowadays are much busier than they were, so it can’t be done the old fashioned way.

i think a learner should pass their test as it is now, but no motorway, and then once they have got used to some new found freedom, then they should do several hours motorway tuition, but without the need for yet another test/tax.

but who should be allowed to do the tuition? certainly not the instructors that i’ve seen hogging the middle lane, and pulling into oncoming traffic from the slip road. some of them have been seen wearing hi vis clothing whilst driving.

I passed my car test in the Army back in 1977; the course was two weeks, two pupils per instructor.

First week training, test on Friday; the second week was set aside for possible first-time failure.

In the event that you passed first time, the second week was used to learn more advanced skills including motorway driving and defensive driving techniques. I benefitted from that and it’s stood me in good stead over the years. I certainly think that novice drivers should not be permitted on motorways until they’ve had some sort of training, be it only a day; basically what Limeyphil said.

Car driving tuition

gnasty gnome:
I passed my car test in the Army back in 1977; the course was two weeks, two pupils per instructor.

First week training, test on Friday; the second week was set aside for possible first-time failure.

In the event that you passed first time, the second week was used to learn more advanced skills including motorway driving and defensive driving techniques. I benefitted from that and it’s stood me in good stead over the years. I certainly think that novice drivers should not be permitted on motorways until they’ve had some sort of training, be it only a day; basically what Limeyphil said.

Agree with this
I also did an Armed Forces test.
Post test we did Motorway driving - 4 of us set off and two instructors meet at services instructor swaped cars and jumped in to keep an eye on you.
Night driving.
Driving something different i.e. a Sherpa
Skid pan - sideways in a chevette woo hoo

I don’t know why they don’t overhaul teh test to include some post test training as part of it.

Its a good thing. If they are allowed on it will only be if supervised by an ADI.

… and quite possibly be allowed to drive at 80mph too :open_mouth:

Also agree with Limey re post test training… something I promoted many years ago.

Over here in New South Wales, learners start at 16, have to pass a knowledge test, then complete 120 hours driving on L plates which includes motorway , night driving… they can get a P plate after 12 months which restricts them, they can only drive at 90 kph on the red P Plate, can’t drive with passengers after 11pm till 5am, they hold that for one year then do more test prior to getting the green Plate which still restricts them to 100kph then after 12 months they can drive normally, that is exactly how they should teach
the people in england, it is different for over 25’s …

One down side is getting to a motorway from certain parts of the country. Great Yarmouth
is over 80 miles from the M11 which is the nearest one and some towns in Cornwall are around the same distance from the M5.

Having said that, practising on dual carriageways should give learners the feel of higher speed roads and being passed by faster moving vehicles.

When I took my class D test I didn’t drive on a dual carriageway although there was one nearby.

The A30 is now mostly dual carriageway in Cornwall. That road is plenty fast enough. That may solve it a little down there. Agreed about the Eastern side of the country though.

waddy640:
One down side is getting to a motorway from certain parts of the country. Great Yarmouth is over 80 miles from the M11 which is the nearest one and some towns in Cornwall are around the same distance from the M5.

Having said that, practising on dual carriageways should give learners the feel of higher speed roads and being passed by faster moving vehicles.

When I took my class D test I didn’t drive on a dual carriageway although there was one nearby.

The government is aware of that and its why they are not making m/way lessons compulsory.

I think they should be aloud, at least then they could be taught properly how to join a motorway, not like half the ■■■■■ who think its ok to join at 20mph :imp:

I was reading on a motorcycle forum that they intend changing the bike test again. Looking at the proposals I think the idea is to keep younger riders off higher powered machines until they have more experience. Which they already do by a different method. Under the new proposals each stage requires the rider to pass a formal driving test. So why not do a similar thing with the car test.

This could be in two parts; part one A&B roads, then part two say after six months on motorways. New drivers should be indentified by the compulsory use of ‘P’ plates.

I’m really setting myself up for some flak here but can someone please explain what is so difficult about driving on a motorway? I’ve never been able to understand why the safest, easiest roads are supposedly so problematic. It’s surely easier than even a standard dual carriageway - higher speeds, maybe, on the MW but no tractors or other slow-moving hazards. One of the most dangerous parts of driving on a MW IMO is that they are too easy and people think they can relax and not pay attention. Even getting on a MW is surely easier than many DCs though many apparently experienced drivers still find it hard to judge.

Overall I think the supposed difficulties of MW driving are largely a myth whose origin lies in the fact that learners are not allowed on them and so think they are some big deal whereas in fact, if, e.g. you were driving North up the A38 south of Exeter, or the A42/M42 sections you might not even notice you were on a motorway (apart from the road signs and lack of aforementioned hazards etc.)

Plenty of A roads that have no big difference ( 85 % of lorries go there 56 anyway ) in design to M’ways as for example A2 beetween Dartford an Medway Bridge in Kent.

I think it is beeter as otherwise those people may go there without knowing how to drive on them so at least the have a bit of exerience before they pass their test.

The reason the Dartford Crossing is the A282 and not the M25 is to enable prohibited traffic to cross the river.