Learner drivers on motorways

google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co … p/38464776. Good or bad. Ive seen some bad instructors out there, so what chance does the learner have, blind leading the blind.

Long over due … in Australia, u do motorway driving as part of the 120hours … you also have to do night driving. Restricted to 90kph once you pass the tes you then go on red P’s for a minimum of 12 months still restricted to 90kph. After that you do another hazard perception test to progress on to green P’s for a minimum of 18 months restricted to 100kph … then you do a written test before you get a full licence.

Maybe the DFT can learn from this … and should help make learning harder.

All of them 120 hours need to be documented with licence details km and roads driving on and locations etc.

What about learners in areas miles from Motorways? Cornwall, Norfolk etc?

How will they gain lessons on a motorway?

Test is already hard and lessons already too expensive. Had to subsidise my young ones so they could drive to get to work…

My daughter passed her test in an automatic … when she went on her green P’s she got a free upgrade to manual. Yet hasn’t got a clue how to drive a manual

Darkside:

Test is already hard and lessons already too expensive. Had to subsidise my young ones so they could drive to get to work…

So the new drivers who live too far away from a motorway to have any lessons on one are OK to drive on one solo for the first time after they’ve passed their test and roam further away from home?

Judging by the standard I see I would question the test already being hard enough, and as for lessons already being too expensive, why would someone go to the expense of gaining the qualifications needed to qualify as an ADI and then have the not insignificant costs of buying and running a school car then charge less than necessary to make a decent living from it?

Darkside:

I think thatll be covered by the same rule that lets you pass your hgv test in an auto but be covered to drive manuals.
It’ll be a “get as many as possibly can to do motorways and pray the ones who cant dont kill themselves the first time they use one” type of scenario

They’re also contemplating bringing in a rule where the pupil has to do 120 hrs of driving before being put in for their test and that would make it very expensive for the kids or parents as the average is less than half that amount of hours .

I’d like to see the same strict rules for learners as they have in Germany

malcolmgbell:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/38464776. Good or bad. Ive seen some bad instructors out there, so what chance does the learner have, blind leading the blind.

Ha Ha that would make sense.Most instructors are failed lorry drivers and I believe instructors need not be qualified.
As you blind leading blind.

Getting used to speed, lane discipline, slip road procedure etc. can be obtained driving on dual carriageways where motorways are not available.

At present they can pass their test and be driving on the motorway literally ten minutes later.

The proposal is to allow trained ADIs with dual control cars to make the professional decision to take their pupils, if ready, onto a motorway if one is available

We already allow B+E, LGV & PCV learners onto motorways and they can be part of a DVSA test route if one is easily available

My grandson passed his test in Plymouth , and a week later drove up to see his parents in derbyshire . He freely admits to bricking it the first time even though he was into motorsport when he was younger . People need motorway experience with their lessons, but as has been said what is the point when anyone can stick a sign on a car and call themselves an instructor .

rigsby:
My grandson passed his test in Plymouth , and a week later drove up to see his parents in derbyshire . He freely admits to bricking it the first time even though he was into motorsport when he was younger . People need motorway experience with their lessons, but as has been said what is the point when anyone can stick a sign on a car and call themselves an instructor .

Anyone can’t just stick a sign on their car and call themselves an instructor as I’m sure you know.

Tgtrucker:

Darkside:

So the new drivers who live too far away from a motorway to have any lessons on one are OK to drive on one solo for the first time after they’ve passed their test and roam further away from home?
Judging by the standard I see I would question the test already being hard enough, and as for lessons already being too expensive, why would someone go to the expense of gaining the qualifications needed to qualify as an ADI and then have the not insignificant costs of buying and running a school car then charge less than necessary to make a decent living from it?

They are already…

Darkside:

Tgtrucker:

Darkside:

They are already…

Yes I know they are, but that doesn’t make it right or safe does it…

Where do we stop though. Let’s get every driver to be tested every 3 years?

In this country we seem to penalise our young so it just isn’t worth them getting jobs. Let’s make them take 100 hrs of lessons at £30 per hour. Let’s keep the working classes off the road more like, because I couldn’t afford to pay £3000 on lessons, I guess you can?

Next time you are on a motorway, and some pillock has trouble joining the traffic, or is driving badly, it won’t necessarily be a just passed driver…

Darkside:

In this country we seem to penalise our young so it just isn’t worth them getting jobs. Let’s make them take 100 hrs of lessons at £30 per hour. Let’s keep the working classes off the road more like, because I couldn’t afford to pay £3000 on lessons, I guess you can?

Loads on here pay about £3K for LGV C + CE …

Ive talked about this with people at work before and someone came up with quite a good sounding idea.

Basically, for cars you have 2 different licences, lets say a black one and a white one (probably wouldn’t be that because it’d offend someone!)

Learner drivers, if they pass, get a black licence. This would enable you to drive on dual carriageways but not motorways, it’d limit the size of the car you could drive up to say a 1.2L engine, you wouldn’t be able to drive at night say between 9pm and 6am. I’m sure we thought of some more restrictions but you get the idea.

After having held that black licence for a minimum period, 6 months or maybe even a year you could then do the next test to get your white licence. This would allow you to drive on motorways, any engine size you want and drive at any time of day or not.

It’d be near impossible to police, but i think it sounded like quite a sensible idea.

I think getting as may learners on the motorways as possible is a great idea though. Soon as id passed my dad took me out for a drive to the M11 and we practiced for an hour or so getting on it, driving properly on it and getting of it. Helped me no end as id have been scared out of my mind to do it on my own!

ROG:

Darkside:

Loads on here pay about £3K for LGV C + CE …

I understand that, but they are not school leaving age?

And does that £3000 make them all a 6 times better driver than me, who paid £500 for my class one?

bald bloke:

rigsby:

Anyone can’t just stick a sign on their car and call themselves an instructor as I’m sure you know.

I thought anybody who charged for driving lessons had to be an ADI which means you have to train and pass a test?