Learner drivers on motorways

Darkside:
Next time you are on a motorway, and some pillock has trouble joining the traffic, or is driving badly, it won’t necessarily be a just passed driver…

If nobody taught them how to join a motorway, they may never learn regardless of how many years they’ve been driving.

muckles:

bald bloke:

rigsby:
My grandson passed his test in Plymouth , and a week later drove up to see his parents in derbyshire . He freely admits to bricking it the first time even though he was into motorsport when he was younger . People need motorway experience with their lessons, but as has been said what is the point when anyone can stick a sign on a car and call themselves an instructor .

Anyone can’t just stick a sign on their car and call themselves an instructor as I’m sure you know.

I thought anybody who charged for driving lessons had to be an ADI which means you have to train and pass a test?

Yes you’re correct a pretty stringent test it is too.

muckles:

Darkside:
Next time you are on a motorway, and some pillock has trouble joining the traffic, or is driving badly, it won’t necessarily be a just passed driver…

If nobody taught them how to join a motorway, they may never learn regardless of how many years they’ve been driving.

Norfolk’s only just progressed to dual carriageways so motorways are a long way off.

bald bloke:

muckles:

bald bloke:

rigsby:
My grandson passed his test in Plymouth , and a week later drove up to see his parents in derbyshire . He freely admits to bricking it the first time even though he was into motorsport when he was younger . People need motorway experience with their lessons, but as has been said what is the point when anyone can stick a sign on a car and call themselves an instructor .

Anyone can’t just stick a sign on their car and call themselves an instructor as I’m sure you know.

I thought anybody who charged for driving lessons had to be an ADI which means you have to train and pass a test?

Yes you’re correct a pretty stringent test it is too.

“Pretty stringent”? I heard from my instructor when I did my car test that its a ridiculously hard test, multiple tests infact. The barrier to become a car test instructor is actually rather high compared to what we have now for HGV instructors where any old hack with a clapped out motor can teach people.

Hammy747:
Ive talked about this with people at work before and someone came up with quite a good sounding idea.

Basically, for cars you have 2 different licences, lets say a black one and a white one (probably wouldn’t be that because it’d offend someone!)

Learner drivers, if they pass, get a black licence. This would enable you to drive on dual carriageways but not motorways,

Near me there is the A46 dual by pass with slip roads and the M1/M69 motorways

Both have 70 limits but the dual can have tractors and bicycles on it making it more dangerous than a motorway

May be age is to do with it. I was 20 when I passed my car test, and don’t remember feeling any differently about going on a motorway than driving on a dual-carriageway. Perhaps they should raise the initial age?

Héraultais:
May be age is to do with it. I was 20 when I passed my car test, and don’t remember feeling any differently about going on a motorway than driving on a dual-carriageway. Perhaps they should raise the initial age?

Unless they raise it to age 25 when the brain is fully formed it will be a waste of time

Héraultais:

There is way more traffic on todays roads compared to the time you took your B test.

Héraultais:

I think that has more to do with self confidence than age.

ROG:

Both have 70 limits but the dual can have tractors and bicycles on it making it more dangerous than a motorway

That is a good reason to learn on dual, being prepared to meet slow moving traffic as well, particularly in the rush hour. The A11 and A12 are notorious for this.

Fincham:

ROG:

That is a good reason to learn on dual, being prepared to meet slow moving traffic as well, particularly in the rush hour. The A11 and A 12 are notorious for this.

And parts of the A1. That has some horrible sections.

It is proposed to be extra tuition after you pass the actual driving test I believe? This was on the news this morning while Mrs Windrush’s carers were here and one of them said that her sister passed her test over 20 years ago but has never been on a motorway or even a dual carriageway as she is just too frightened of traffic going fast and overtaking her. She lives in Chesterfield and works in Sheffield so she only uses the ‘old’ A61 through Unstone and Dronfield as the by-pass is too scary for her to even attempt and if a vehicle looks as though it is overtaking her she stops! Some folk just aren’t cut out for driving. :confused:

Pete.

Uncle Albie:
Ha Ha that would make sense.Most instructors are failed lorry drivers and I believe instructors need not be qualified.
As you blind leading blind.

Troll alert. :unamused:
The worst instructors are those that fall for those “become an instructor and change your life” adverts that appear on chavvy tv channels in the daytime.

windrush:
It is proposed to be extra tuition after you pass the actual driving test I believe?

Thats how it is now if wanted after passing the test - the new proposal is to allow the training on a provisional licence with a qualified ADI only

I would think we can only agree on making driving safer for new drivers.
Cost can never be an excuse for safer better drivers, who can drive in the dark and on every road type.
It would be good if insurance companies would support this and reduce premiums for young drivers with extended training.

The rest of the world is much further than this, when I passed my test in 1980 on the continent, driving on the motorway was part of the driving test.
The system that France use with restricted speed for new pass in easy recognisable vehicles would be another improvement (big 90km at the back)
Germany has more extended test, and requires the use of approved driving should and instructors (no mommy and daddy driving), same as the Netherlands.
The excuse that there are places with no motorways, than they have to travel further, for my driving instruction, I had to travel over an hour and a half to be in the city, as it is required to drive in a city for your driving test.

Anything to lift the standard of driving should be welcomed by the professional brigade on here, and not knocked down with any excuse as cost.
The life of your children is more valuable than a couple of grant I may hope?
To many young people get still killed, and some of these accidents could have been avoided by better education, and more restrictions.
There would be nothing wrong with similair rules like motorbikes, first slower cars, probably with a passenger restriction, and maybe even certain hours a day.
A black box could easily control that.

caledoniandream:
It would be good if insurance companies would support this and reduce premiums for young drivers with extended training.

Many now do if the driver passes an advanced driving test

The pass plus did not reduce the amount of incidents so the insurers stopped giving discounts for it

bald bloke:

rigsby:

I do know that BB , but sometimes one sees performances that make us think " How the hell did that prat qualify as an instructor " , I’ve had instructors take pupils up the inside of me turning left with a 45 footer and accuse me of poor lane discipline , they couldn’t see 4 yellow flashing lights on the side . A possible solution might be to include a heavy goods cpc in their training .

120 hours?

I did mine in 17 with no previous experience of driving a car. Anything that makes it harder for everyone else though im all for :slight_smile:

SuperMultiBlue:
120 hours?

I did mine in 17 with no previous experience of driving a car. Anything that makes it harder for everyone else though im all for :slight_smile:

I only had 8. But I was a terrible driver, in no way ready for the real world of driving. I would personally love to see some sort of staged test, that has hours and skills logged.

I’ve always looked at most driving lessons as just a way to get you through a test rather than actually being proficient driving on the road in the real world. As for this idea, not a bad one really… I’d also like to see more time spent teaching people how to park more often in a congested car park… the amount of people I get stuck behind who spend way too long shunting a ford fiesta into a bay I could fit a truck in.