Large UK lorry fleets 1950's to present day!

By the look of those lorries I reckon he was there before me. When I was there they had KM Befords, Mk 1 Atkis and then, after a time, Mk 2s. If there were any fodens and ERFs they would have been on the tipper fleet. All ours by then were painted in cream with green edging I think. I loved those Atkis, thought they were the bees’ knees at the time, but looking at that Mark 2 brings back a fault with them. You see those 2 ‘handy’ pockets on the back of the cab? OK for documents but if anything dropped down to the bottom it was too narrow to get your hand down to retrieve it. :frowning:

BTW, the first Mk 2 to arrive had an automatic gearbox and we shook our heads in wonder. It was driven by Dave Barker, only one letter (the B) removed from my name. He was one of the ‘Bulwell Mafia’ which included Rod Closs and another hard man whose name has temporarily evaded me. He was sadly to commit suicide later. They were all there before me so maybe your Dad remembers them. I later worked for Rod Closs when he set up his own company. My own ‘best mate’ was George Milner, we had been together at half a dozen companies and it was him who got me the job when I returned after a spell in Oz. He later worked for Stirlands too, trunking up to Stainmore every night.

windrush:
Depends what you call a large fleet really? Around here there is B.J Waters at Darley Bridge, Lowes (Matlock Transport) at Darley Dale, Slinter Mining at Cromford, Lockwoods at Sawmills, Seafield. There have been all the quarry operators which Dave has mentioned already plus Toft Brother’s and Tomlinson at Darley Dale, Via Gellia Transport, Mammoth, George Siddall at Darley Bridge, W H Phillips at Wirksworth, Joseph Hoyle at Darley Dale plus many more with smaller fleets such as Harry Evans, John Dunn, Swains, Websters of Wirksworth, Barlow and Hodgkinson, Mountains of Wirksworth , Woods of Kniveton, AK Transport, Sellers and Kent, Turners. Literally dozens of one man bands as well of course given the nature of the Peak District!

Pete.

Not to mention my old employers, J H Allen and Sons and Edgar Bentley - then around Burton area we had Ensors from Woodville, Jim Rushton, Wm Rowe and Sons, G D Allen from Tean, E Tomlinson and Sons from Hoar Cross, Tyre and Tune at Gresley, Allied Breweries/Ind Coope in Burton and not forgetting Bass, of course.

Steve

I was driving for Econofreight at Markfield when one of Ensor’s drivers was killed at Liverpool docks while unloading those very narrow Stanton pipes. As shop steward I tried to get assistance at Liverpool to save us dancing single handed across the pipes which were lifted from their pyramid stack by multi-hooks.

No chance of course, a mixture of un-sympathetic hauliers and bloody-minded dockers saw to that. :imp:

Spardo:
By the look of those lorries I reckon he was there before me. When I was there they had KM Befords, Mk 1 Atkis and then, after a time, Mk 2s. If there were any fodens and ERFs they would have been on the tipper fleet. All ours by then were painted in cream with green edging I think. I loved those Atkis, thought they were the bees’ knees at the time, but looking at that Mark 2 brings back a fault with them. You see those 2 ‘handy’ pockets on the back of the cab? OK for documents but if anything dropped down to the bottom it was too narrow to get your hand down to retrieve it. :frowning:

BTW, the first Mk 2 to arrive had an automatic gearbox and we shook our heads in wonder. It was driven by Dave Barker, only one letter (the B) removed from my name. He was one of the ‘Bulwell Mafia’ which included Rod Closs and another hard man whose name has temporarily evaded me. He was sadly to commit suicide later. They were all there before me so maybe your Dad remembers them. I later worked for Rod Closs when he set up his own company. My own ‘best mate’ was George Milner, we had been together at half a dozen companies and it was him who got me the job when I returned after a spell in Oz. He later worked for Stirlands too, trunking up to Stainmore every night.

Did you go over to OZ with the help from TDG ? my dad got the chance but he declined
I can’t remember the dates he worked at West Hallam but I remember he started at Stirlands in 75
There’s a few names from the past
I see Rod quite a lot he was running a pub I think it was the White Swan in Basford after he packed up with the transport game
I see big Sol Auckland quite often he was on tankers
Good old George Milner (RIP) a cracking bloke he used to run with
Johnny Lambert (RIP)on the Scottish changeover
A lot of the old Stirlands drivers are sadly long gone now but there’s still some I meet up with a couple of times a year for a good drink and a laugh

gazsa401:
Some from my part of the country apologies if some have been mentioned before
RH Freight
Stirlands
Geo Dominic
Wm West and Sons
Clearway Distribution
Thomson Jewitt
Middletons
BFI
A R Marshall (Bulwell)
Watts of Notts
The CO OP
Maurice Hills
Bowrings
B Taylor and Sons
Placketts Parcels
Eastern BRS
Alf Vaughn
H Sladen and Sons
Robin Hood transport

Don’t forget Irvings,nice pic of a Daf sheeted up in the heritage commercials this time .

Irvings I had a good mate Steve Woodward sadly no longer with us work for them
We did a bit of work out of British gypsum when we’re a bit slack and it was seen as punishment to go into gypsum to do your own shunting and loading
Irvings Proctors Middletons BFI Jempsons were all well sheeted and roped

Spardo:
I was driving for Econofreight at Markfield when one of Ensor’s drivers was killed at Liverpool docks while unloading those very narrow Stanton pipes. As shop steward I tried to get assistance at Liverpool to save us dancing single handed across the pipes which were lifted from their pyramid stack by multi-hooks.

No chance of course, a mixture of un-sympathetic hauliers and bloody-minded dockers saw to that. :imp:

I remember that incident - a nice lad with a young wife and son, although i can’t recall his name now. Oddly enough, just about a year after his dad was killed, the son died unexpectedly on the bathroom floor one morning at home. A double tragedy!

Steve

Hi all another big firm was remploy in Oldham ,they had depots all over the country no longer with us

Oldham depot

image.jpeg

gazsa401:
Did you go over to OZ with the help from TDG ? my dad got the chance but he declined
I can’t remember the dates he worked at West Hallam but I remember he started at Stirlands in 75
I see Rod quite a lot he was running a pub I think it was the White Swan in Basford after he packed up with the transport game
A lot of the old Stirlands drivers are sadly long gone now but there’s still some I meet up with a couple of times a year for a good drink and a laugh

No, I went as a co-driver of a bus to Pakistan and India then air lifted myself to Darwin. Only came home for a holiday a couple of years later but got married and never returned.

I met George building the M1 driving for Wimpeys, then both of us went to Shaws and several more places afterwards. In later years I used to see him and Johnny (didn’t know he was gone too) at Balloon Woods when they were setting off and I was driving home from Toray at Bulwell. We’d have a brief 3 way on the cb before going our seperate ways. My wife used to work at the Hassocks old peoples’ home in Beeston and George’s mother was in there. So we’d meet up from time to time. Then we moved out here and lost touch for a long while until one visit back we called at his flat and his 3rd wife invited us in. We asked after George and she pointed to the urn on the mantelpiece, he’d have seen the humour of the look on our faces. :slight_smile:

Sol Auckland is another name which rings, but I don’t remember the face. :confused: Say hello to Ron from Dave Marker next time you see him. (I bet you know Johnny Hancock and Paul Evans too don’t you?)

I’ll have to cut you loose on this thread for a few days. At almost 73 I’m still rolling all around Europe, with the Berlingo, caravan and the dogs now though (see link below) and am off this morning via Dieppe with 2 drops Kenilworth and Conisbrough. Then into Stibbington Diner Wednesday night and back home Friday. If I don’t get diverted for the Dobermann Association from Dieppe that is. It has happened. :smiley:

Spardo:

gazsa401:

No, I went as a co-driver of a bus to Pakistan and India then air lifted myself to Darwin. Only came home for a holiday a couple of years later but got married and never returned.

I met George building the M1 driving for Wimpeys, then both of us went to Shaws and several more places afterwards. In later years I used to see him and Johnny (didn’t know he was gone too) at Balloon Woods when they were setting off and I was driving home from Toray at Bulwell. We’d have a brief 3 way on the cb before going our seperate ways. My wife used to work at the Hassocks old peoples’ home in Beeston and George’s mother was in there. So we’d meet up from time to time. Then we moved out here and lost touch for a long while until one visit back we called at his flat and his 3rd wife invited us in. We asked after George and she pointed to the urn on the mantelpiece, he’d have seen the humour of the look on our faces. :slight_smile:

Sol Auckland is another name which rings, but I don’t remember the face. :confused: Say hello to Ron from Dave Marker next time you see him. (I bet you know Johnny Hancock and Paul Evans too don’t you?)

I’ll have to cut you loose on this thread for a few days. At almost 73 I’m still rolling all around Europe, with the Berlingo, caravan and the dogs now though (see link below) and am off this morning via Dieppe with 2 drops Kenilworth and Conisbrough. Then into Stibbington Diner Wednesday night and back home Friday. If I don’t get diverted for the Dobermann Association from Dieppe that is. It has happened. :smiley:

Blimey you’re still clocking up the miles which is good
My mam and dad live on the east coast these days they’re coming over this week so I’ll mention I’ve been chatting to you
It may rattle the old mans brain cells !!!
Again it’s years since I’ve heard those two names Johnny and Paul brings back good memories of my childhood
Sadly George and Johnny Lambert never reached retirement age but we did give them a good send off
The Red Cow pub in Lenton was packed to the rafters
It’s been great talking to you hopefully catch up on here again soon
I’ll have a pint with Rod next time me and me dad catch up with him
All the best
Gary

Just got back in the house half an hour ago, the 2 dogs were great and I was sorry to part company but they have both fallen on their feet in their new homes after months and years in the refuge.

Did you mean that Johnny and George died close together? I’m sure Johnny was still working when George was ill because his wife said he wanted to ride with Johnny but the powers that be wouldn’t allow it. He wanted to come with me when I started going over the water much earlier but that never happened either. As a young driver I would sit in his kitchen with him and his 1st wife, Cynthia, and listen to the humerous stories of their courting days. There was always a kettle on and the time flew past.

John Hancock and Paul Evans drove for me at Toray after being permanent agency drivers for some years. As soon as the bosses allowed me to I set them both on along with 2 other good drivers. I think Johnny has retired now but last I heard Paul was working at K&M, though that might have been before Clearways. A few years ago I went back for a school reunion and Jackie Hancock insisted I stay overnight with them, there’s a lass you can’t easily say no to :laughing: .We spent the evening in the pub and I had to work very hard not to keep up with them. While there Jackie spotted Ron and ‘summond’ him over to say hello.

Sorry, a bit of thread drift, but I did mention K&M, so, although probably mentioned before, perhaps I’ll be forgiven. :slight_smile:

Sorry, just realised, I’ve been calling Rod, Ron. That is because, although I knew him well later and worked for him, when I first heard his name it was just before I started at Storage. He had fallen off a lorry and broken his leg so I never actually met him there, but his name as given to me at the time, Ron, has always stuck in my memory.

Spardo:
Just got back in the house half an hour ago, the 2 dogs were great and I was sorry to part company but they have both fallen on their feet in their new homes after months and years in the refuge.

Did you mean that Johnny and George died close together? I’m sure Johnny was still working when George was ill because his wife said he wanted to ride with Johnny but the powers that be wouldn’t allow it. He wanted to come with me when I started going over the water much earlier but that never happened either. As a young driver I would sit in his kitchen with him and his 1st wife, Cynthia, and listen to the humerous stories of their courting days. There was always a kettle on and the time flew past.

John Hancock and Paul Evans drove for me at Toray after being permanent agency drivers for some years. As soon as the bosses allowed me to I set them both on along with 2 other good drivers. I think Johnny has retired now but last I heard Paul was working at K&M, though that might have been before Clearways. A few years ago I went back for a school reunion and Jackie Hancock insisted I stay overnight with them, there’s a lass you can’t easily say no to :laughing: .We spent the evening in the pub and I had to work very hard not to keep up with them. While there Jackie spotted Ron and ‘summond’ him over to say hello.

Sorry, a bit of thread drift, but I did mention K&M, so, although probably mentioned before, perhaps I’ll be forgiven. :slight_smile:

Hiya Spardo there was a few years between George and John passing away
George finished on ill health and John took bad whilst at work he collapsed in Spenymoor and sadly passed away a few weeks later
I’ve got me mam and dad over and my dads gave me a few more names you may remember
The other member of the Bulwell mafia who you couldn’t remember who committed suicide was Warren Tennant
I mentioned Ilkeston Haulage my dad said can you remember the McClusky brothers Harry and Pat ?
Also I mentioned Toray he said you’d know Barry Marlow he lived on me mams road in Broxtowe
A few names from Midlands Storage you may remember
Roy Barnes
Dave Grinham
Shaker (fitter)
Bob Isacs
Colin Flint
Ted Pickin
Wilf Fisher
Bill Osbourne (fitter)
Jonny Weldon
Arthur Brittle
Derek Bates
Mick ■■■■■■■■■■
Pete Warren
Jock Carrington
Len Moore
Roy Barnes
Jonny Thornton
John Stanley
Ray New (fitter)
Bill Kelly
Frank North and Tom Hackket
both transport managers
Ken Shaw and Pete Clementson who both went to Australia through TDG
kind regards
Gary

Wow, a few there to get my teeth into.

Warren Tennant, I remembered his first name but not the second. A real hard nut he once put his fist through a car driver’s window to punch him for cutting him up, and I do mean ‘through’, the man had wound it up, locked the doors and grinned at him. Bad move, Warren connected nevertheless. On the other side of the coin we were both waiting to tip at Liverpool docks and in the queue at the canteen. We both ordered ham sandwiches but Warren specified ‘without butter’. She thought he was joking and gave him a buttered one with a grin. He refused it and told me after we sat down that he had seen someone spit into a butter vat when on a school factory visit. I thought that was a bit extreme and lily livered - but refrained from saying so. :laughing:

Don’t remember any names from Ilkeston Haulage, apart from George’s, who was with me at the same time. We went there from Shaw’s. Oh, and ■■■■ East. He used to park his wagon along with George and me on the waste ground on Derby road Stapleford. One night his load of whisky (all on roped and sheeted flats in those days) went up in flames and the police grilled him for some time (not on the flames, obviously). They suspected he had set the fire to cover his theft of several of the boxes.

I met Pete Warren at Shaw’s, he had a brother who was at Storage with me but can’t remember his name. His wife left him and went off with another driver at the same place, Johnny McQueen. A good mate of mine, but you couldn’t trust him where women were concerned. Surprisingly, if you didn’t know better, you’d think he batted for the other side. His cab was always spotless inside and out and smelled like a tart’s boudoir - so did he. :laughing:

Barry Marlow was one of the 4 I set on from agencies along with John and Paul. A bit of a fusspot he nevertheless became a fine drawbar driver but, brimming with confidence would always prefer to back in on his blind side. Justifiably so though, along with Paul (and of course, me :unamused: ) he was very skilled. I taught myself with the help of Aussie experience, and then I taught them.

To pick out a few from the many familiar names in the Storage list, was Johnny Weldon the same bloke I knew at Bulkliners in Beeston? Stocky and bald headed his private car was a well looked after Volvo ‘Amazon’.
John Stanley I knew at Bulkliner’s and Stirland’s, his brother was in the office there too. He later set up his own business with a light van and, when I did the same later we passed work between us from time to time.
Bill Kelly was at Storage when I first knew him. I was at Shaw’s and we both had 4-wheeler loads for London docks. He tipped first and I helped him strip and fold his ropes and sheets. Then it was my turn, but when I looked round, Bill was gone. :open_mouth:
Later I knew him when he had a couple of wagons of his own, a bit of a sharp operator from my memory. :wink:

Give my best to your Dad, not sure if we met, but we are two of a rare breed now, still alive. :laughing:

Apologies if these are posted elsewhere.

2E62716E-63FF-44B0-8075-F404E399930C.jpeg

6E65BFE5-BB17-4680-B62C-67E64C27A6E4.jpeg

58B970EB-6253-4CC9-B1C6-F8251DD423F4.jpeg

58B970EB-6253-4CC9-B1C6-F8251DD423F4.jpeg
image (1).png
Birds of a feather. When Leyland ruled, Moores of Ashby

B9F0E84A-73A3-44A8-AF06-AD5AEB009F24.jpeg

A9B39DAF-9606-4A31-B643-EA186AA446C9.jpeg

154CD224-868D-4C6F-A884-F124DB36130B.jpeg

Spardo:
Sorry, just realised, I’ve been calling Rod, Ron. That is because, although I knew him well later and worked for him, when I first heard his name it was just before I started at Storage. He had fallen off a lorry and broken his leg so I never actually met him there, but his name as given to me at the time, Ron, has always stuck in my memory.

This a Paul Gee photo which was on the Paul Gee site I hope he doesn’t mind me sharing it on here