Knocked down a wall after only 2 weeks on the road

The honest peopleon here have all hit something or other.No real harm done so put it behind you.

My shame was 13 wing mirrors on one street in BSE

peirre:
My shame was 13 wing mirrors on one street in BSE

i was on top cover once, in a pig out of fragglerock. ( fort whiterock ) west Belfast. Paddies on a Friday night, double parked kellys corner following two RUC hotspurs! Foot down driver, cars going bang, bang, bang! Funny early 80s. :grimacing:

Brickies need jobs too !

Spash9113:
So after passing my class 2 test in may and landing my first job two weeks ago everything g was going great…until I knocked down a wall!!.

So yeah I hit a bloody wall when trying to reverse back down a road that was clearly to small for my 18 tonne rigid. Luckily nobody was hurt and the wall was only small (around 4ft).

Now reflecting on this over the weekend it’s made me question if I’m even suitable for the job!?

Has anyone experienced or felt like this as a new driver ?

Yes the fact that you reflected over the weekend shows that you have the right attitude.
Of course, I have never hit anything …oh, yes there was a wall now I come to think of it.
It leaves you with a horrible feeling of shame, embarrassment and inadequacy… oh, and a bollard if that counts.
…and that van
You have to display a bit of remorse to the wall owner and the boss but inside you’re thinking, “Go on then. You try and do the job”
Alright, there was a bridge , but just one
And we aren’t counting the pallet stacks or the weighbridge
And those road signs were too near the road.
Trees! What?
And

Don’t worry too much about it mate, you are a new driver, and ■■■■ happens.
The fact that you are ■■■■■■ off about it proves that you have the makings of a good responsible driver, there are many today who never learn from their mistakes, and simply would not give a ■■■■ …until they knocked down the next wall. :unamused:

I aint a new driver by any means, and I make ■■■■ ups also…, we all do…end of.
So move on from it, and be a bit more careful next time because of the lesson that you learned. :wink:

The title of the thread caused me to be interested in its contents and sympathise with the OP as I had this experience a couple of weeks ago, only I passed my car driving test in the 70s and the wall was in front of me (just). In my defence I had reversed into a layby so hadn’t seen it in front of me, so to speak, and, being an idiot, forgot it was there. It was the end of one of those ancient Cornwall granite dry boulder walls so I just put it back together again; shame the N/S steps are a bit scraped. Well said tacho ,Optimum, robroy; still, worse things happen at sea. Rear facing cameras are a godsend these days.

damo84:
I hit a wall 4 weeks after getting my first job.
Also hit a tree!!

Well played. :laughing:

109LWB:
You ain’t a driver unless you’ve knocked a wall down.
No one died, crack on.

Hmm, apparently I’m not a driver then :neutral_face:

Not saying I haven’t hit anything, of course I have, just never a wall :laughing:

Spash9113:
So after passing my class 2 test in may and landing my first job two weeks ago everything g was going great…until I knocked down a wall!!.

So yeah I hit a bloody wall when trying to reverse back down a road that was clearly to small for my 18 tonne rigid. Luckily nobody was hurt and the wall was only small (around 4ft).

Now reflecting on this over the weekend it’s made me question if I’m even suitable for the job!?

Has anyone experienced or felt like this as a new driver ?

Don’t worry about it. When there’s a combination of the transport office sending you somewhere without doing a recce, and you trying to get the job done, there’ll always be scrapes. I’m on a car and a lamp post so far. The fact it’s on your conscience is good. I’ve seen some good drivers have mishaps. It happens. Crack on and learn from it :smiley:

First day on a new job newly qualified I managed to drop the front wheel down a gully on my first delivery at 5am. I dropped it so bad the workshop manager came out and eventually gunned it out of the gully. It wiped the wheel guard trim out flattening it. ( Old Bedford TK) I spent the rest of the day only able to get out of the passenger door ( different times) you beat yourself up but as long as you learn from it crack on

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

lost count at what I have hit over the years,posts,fences,cars,you name it,as other drivers have said,laugh it off [if no one hurt] and crack on,no doubt you will hit other things as the years go on,hazards of the job,you cannot be a perfect driver,no such thing

I reversed into a brand new Alloy lampost on a new build industrial estate,only been erected an hour earlier :unamused: it bent like a drinking straw,and I never felt a thing,I was only alerted to the fact by a group of Hi viz clad chaps doing some sort of ritual dance :laughing:
A 150 yd. reverse…a series of lazy S bends…never clocked it once :blush:
Thing is,I was working my notice at the time,and I couldn’t convince my boss that I hadn’t done it deliberately :sunglasses:
( I didn’t BTW)

What can be said that hasnt already? Like most things you learn to pass a test and then you really learn.

Hey it could be worse, you could have knocked a wall down after being asked to take out a 7.5 tonner on a “quick job” :unamused:

The whirlwind:
We have a guy at our place who hits something every week. I’d just take your time for the next couple of weeks and get out and walk the route if you ain’t sure if you will fit.

walk the route? What if he has to go from wales to scotland, that some walk, would it be classed as other work

■■■■ happens. Forget about it. It’s only a wall.

I knocked 50 feet of newly built wall down with a cbr 600 about a week after I passed my bike test. Bloody thing had just been built and the cement was still wet, went over like marzipan and there was a row of cars parked behind. I barely touched it with the footpeg :frowning: made me a much more careful driver ever since.

Got accused of knocking a customers gatepost in an 18t. Had a banksman at the time, even he went on record that I never touched it. Firm still payed for a brickie to rebuild it. It was a rotten, knackered post but now they have a nice newly built post and guess who got the blame.

Yep we’re pruffeshunalls, ■■■■ straight… (unlike the various body parts of our vehicles) :laughing:

damo84:
I hit a wall 4 weeks after getting my first job.
Also hit a tree!!

Well of course you hit the tree, it was right in the middle of the ■■■■■■■ road !

I’ve had so many bumps but I learnt something from them, if in any doubt GET OUT AND LOOK! When young I was (like many) pig headed and didn’t want to get out in case other drivers laughed at me! Now I always get out for a look. Don’t let it get to you OP, is a occupational hazard. I personally think anyone who reckons they’ve never been involved in any accident lied to others so much they believe it themselves! :wink: