Hit something and drove off

Yes i had my first knock today, i was reversing and nugded a brick wall column about 3 foot high on a front garden wall. The house was empty and up for sale so i just drove off. Was that correct.

bagpuss64:
Yes i had my first knock today, i was reversing and nugded a brick wall column about 3 foot high on a front garden wall. The house was empty and up for sale so i just drove off. Was that correct.

On looking back - do you think it was :question: :question:

If the wall was damaged then you have a duty under the Road traffic Act to;

1. Stop
  2. Exchange details (Your name and address, the vehicle owner’s name and address and the registration numbers of the vehicle) with anyone who could reasonably request them.
  3. You must report the collision to the police as soon as practicable and in any case within 24 hours of the collision.

I appreciate that the house was empty, but what about a “for sale” sign with the estate agent’s details? How about knocking on a neighbours door and attempting to leave your details?

It all boils down to honesty and integrity doesn’t it?

If the wall wasn’t damaged at all, then you have no obligation to comply with the above.

You’d better hope no-one got your reg number…you may be getting a visit from plod…or even worse, you could end up being named and shamed on this 'ere forum!

:wink:

ROG:

bagpuss64:

On looking back - [/quote

i dont think he looked back rog he never said if the wall had fallen over :smiley:

:blush:

The trouble in being honest comes when you knock on the door and it is answered by a 7 foot tall Hells Angel who doesn’t take kindly to you knocking his wall down and proceeds to kick your head like a football.

I shunted a garden fence once and tried being honest and ended up trying to fend off a Mike Tyson lookalike attempting to connect his boot with my testicles. Ever since my advice is if you can avoid being honest in such situations then so much the better.

JeffA:
The trouble in being honest comes when you knock on the door and it is answered by a 7 foot tall Hells Angel who doesn’t take kindly to you knocking his wall down and proceeds to kick your head like a football.

I shunted a garden fence once and tried being honest and ended up trying to fend off a Mike Tyson lookalike attempting to connect his boot with my testicles. Ever since my advice is if you can avoid being honest in such situations then so much the better.

:laughing:

I’d have knocked on the door, if nobody answers then I’d have put my companies number down on a bit of paper, and just written a short apology. Then told the gaffer when I got back.

Unless it was a really small knock… or if I didn’t feel/see/hear the aforementioned knock :wink:

Alex

I have known drivers loose their licences for this type of thing. You have to remember that the truck has probably got the company details on and also the reg number.

Accidents do happen especially with these size of trucks.

Best thing to do is be honest and learn from your mistake

I wouldve left the company details then at least you are covering yourself. Never think you havent been seen in todays “big brother” society with cctv everywhere.

dont be to quick to condem yourself true this i went onto a site got tipped then i noticed pile of bricks with half knocked down (I HAD SEEN BRICKS BUT NOT THE OTHER SIDE OF THEM THAT HAD FELL DOWN) ANY WAY WENT to site manager told him he said yes i know a dumper knocked em down the other day

Just leave a note in future.

“To whom it may concern”
I had a slight accident with my truck and knocked over your wall and some of it fell onto your Porsche.

When I did this I was seen by another driver who is watching me write this note. He is smiling and explaining to your neighbour that I am a caring citizen and have left you a note.

I am that caring I forgot to put my name and address on it.

Sucker :smiley:

one of our drivers recently, whilst under a lot of pressure backing into a tight spot on an industrial estate, pushed a parked car with the bullbar on the truck, leaving 2 massive dents in the drivers side door.

he finished the maneouvre, backed the truck into where it had to go, then rang the boss, boss said, ok no problem, leave a note with the companys contact details, when he looked up from writing his note, the car had gone.

brilliant.