kent transport

Love this old photo. The old Kent number plates and tiny mirrors on the lorries. I left Lenham school in 1960 and reckon the photo was taken about then. I’m sure someone will know?

sandway:
More H E Woodcock photos courtesy of that prolific photographer Paul Willis. Thanks Paul.
Plus click on a photo to enlarge.

Out of interest how would drivers have veiwed the Ergo cab against the BMC derived cab?

Bathgate cab: cheap and nasty, a cab designed for potentially three man local distribution but lacking the lower level access of the Sankey Ergo. Then bought by operators because it gave a bit more payload and put on distance work. Why on earth did Leyland cling to the idea, at least on the early versions, of having the speedo and gauges in the middle of the cab in line with the engine rather than the driver. The only improvement I can think of is that from a fitter’s viewpoint the o/s of the engine was more accessible with the Bathgate. ISTR that you had to release the bolts and prop up the driver’s floor to get an AV760 or Leyland 680 out of an Ergo chassis. But then nothing like the size of either was ever under a Bathgate cab.

cav551:
Why on earth did Leyland cling to the idea.

Have you thought of asking the Leatherhead resident & Leyland expert this question :slight_smile:

cav551:
Bathgate cab: cheap and nasty, a cab designed for potentially three man local distribution but lacking the lower level access of the Sankey Ergo. Then bought by operators because it gave a bit more payload and put on distance work. Why on earth did Leyland cling to the idea, at least on the early versions, of having the speedo and gauges in the middle of the cab in line with the engine rather than the driver. The only improvement I can think of is that from a fitter’s viewpoint the o/s of the engine was more accessible with the Bathgate. ISTR that you had to release the bolts and prop up the driver’s floor to get an AV760 or Leyland 680 out of an Ergo chassis. But then nothing like the size of either was ever under a Bathgate cab.

Why do you think the BMC cab was used on what was essentially the old Albion product rather than say the uprated Ergo high datum. It seemed to replace the LAD on some trucks.It seems unbelievable that the LAD was still offered into the 1970s.

When you didn’t have to worry about twistlocks.

Maidstone & District ran bus services through our village of Ulcombe. Some terminated at Grafty Green whilst a few went through to Ashford. There were at least five maybe six a day. I remember standing out in the road in the 50’s waiting for a bus which was very rarely late.

When I worked for Mitchell & Robertson much of our work was in this area

123592580_840968153380839_6852052260770582883_n.jpg

sandway:
When I worked for Mitchell & Robertson much of our work was in this area

Bunch’s Arch.

Looks like a little weekend job for Lenham Storage.

Steve J:
I started work at RJ Wood at Teynham aged 17 in January 1985 as a transport clerk. As you quite rightly say Robert, Roy Wood had retained the warehousing side of the business and had bought M&R to replace the transport arm that had gone to Detling. The transport side was overseen by Transport Director Les Williams

I am still at Teynham, having been Transport Operations Manager for the last 28 years, and seen the company change hands from the original family run business to WRM in 1995 through to Fowler Welch in 2003 and now part of the Culina group.

I hope Bewick isn’t reading this if he sees those initials he’ll go mad

It has been reported that David Lumsden, one of Kent’s most respected hauliers, died on 22nd October. His son Colin posted the news and added some of the companies photos. RIP David.

I believe Stocker’s Transport were around in the 60’s. I know the name but thats all. Anyone know any more about them?

EH Nicholls B-series - Not my picture.

sandway:
It has been reported that David Lumsden, one of Kent’s most respected hauliers, died on 22nd October. His son Colin posted the news and added some of the companies photos. RIP David.

Just seen this sad news. I only met Dave the once which was when he had a small yard on the way into Larkfield trading estate. For some reason I was sent round from Francis Commercials to look at an F88 with a clutch hydraulic problem. I can recall that my first impression was how grateful he was for assistance. IIRC an F88 master cylinder was a rather fiddly job.

Looking at the pictures I see a Henley Trombone trailer which was either purchased or on loan.

sandway:
I believe Stocker’s Transport were around in the 60’s. I know the name but thats all. Anyone know any more about them?

Ray or is it Ron? Stocker worked for Wm Youngers at Aylesford in the 1980s and 90s. Here on the first day with his new Renault urban artic. I remember him talking about when the family used to run lorries.

R Stocker.jpg

Picture from the Paul Gee thread this morning:

L3869p.JPG

A few old ones, Kent Show I believe

H. Smith & Son Ltd, model presented by Roger Sparshatt and David Jones.
I wonder where it is now?

Fantastic photos you’ve posted there TDL102. I’ve attempted to enlarge them as there’s some real interesting stuff there. I know they will enlarge if you click on them but many people don’t bother. The green Crusader with the grill up may be the ride of Norman Horsford of Mitchell & Robertson and the AGA lorry and is that a Colin Ashby Crusader and---- well, there’s so many old Kent companies represented and Roger was in with all of them.

To enlarge your photos TDL102 I had to take screen shots and then enlarge them which means they lost a lot of definition. Do you have the means to enlarge them yourself. Marvellous photos though. Hopefully you have more.

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 19.43.48.png