kent transport

cav551:
^^
The MKV AEC on which one can just read Linton is pictured at Wares Farm and is Alan Firmin’s AF 80.

Hopefully Karl Weiss will pick up on this and give us chapter and verse. From what I recall AF 80 was originally a Mammoth Major 8 wheeler which was cut down into an artic unit. For some reason it was not a success, becoming somewhat troublesome. IIRC it was driven by Frank Sands until he got the first of the new ERF A series units, with a 180 Gardner, to come home. The next one was Gardner 240 powered and went to Ron Latter?

Around about this time I think the 180 ERF went onto a night trunk, changing over trailers of reels from Reeds, with Shell fertilizer from Ince or Shell oil from Barton which had been picked up by Firmin Coates. It soon met with complaints that it took longer than the Mandators to do the job.

yes AF 80 was a 8 wheeler converted to an artic and was a big mistake it was hopeless, the steering was bordering on being dangerous and the brakes were poor nobody wanted to drive it. Firmin first 2 ERF A series had the 180 gardener engine fitted, then 3 more with the Gardener 240 engine, I think the first went to Scotty who did not look after much and was always dirty inside and out. Then on to the ERF B series Firmin also had 3 Fodens with the 240 gardener engines .

Now you see a lot of photos of the restored AEC Mammoth Major AF 105, the truck in photos is hardly original as this was cut down to a 6 wheeler recovery truck I have some photos of this and was painted yellow I recovered many firmins lorries in the 70s . will post photos soon. ( Karl )

Alan Firmins AEC Mammoth Major Reg AF 105 this is what happened to the 8 wheeler in 70s we cut it down to make a recovery vehicle and painted it yellow and I recovered many of Firmins trucks with it in the 70s. so I don’t know how original the restored drawbar outfit you see today is ?

This is a photo from the lorry driver of the year from the 60s , my dad is on the right and I think Eric Crundwell and Bob Willard are others. Oh my dad came 2nd and was well miffed saying they always make sure the Shell tanker drivers win, that was my dad all over.

I know this photo showing three different Kent companies has been shown before but so what, a nice bit of nostalgia taken from Mike Taylors blog. Shows the Addington Motors wrecker, which had been converted from one of Mike Taylors old lorries recovering another of Mikes lorries which was pulling a Lenham Storage trailer.

18198597_1704268936540097_7068685556976887711_n.jpg

sandway:

DavieSBusboy:
Another thought just occurred to me. Someone mentioned in one of the posts that Firmin’s removed all manufacturers logo from their trucks. That was true back then (60s/70s) Dad has sets of AEC badges and letters in the shed. They even replaced the AEC triangular radiator badge with one of their own with AF in the center and hops, apples and I think, cherries at the three corners reflecting their farming roots. I’m sure Dad has one somewhere. I remember a story of a new Mercury 4 wheeler arriving via Gatwards (AEC dealers) as part of a standing order Firmin’s had with AEC. Alan came down to check the new arrival over and on spotting the Leyland dust caps (AEC had become part of Leyland) on the wheels immediately refused to accept the truck even though they offered to change them for AEC items. He returned up the stair and immediately canceled the AEC order and placed a new order with ERF. Alan would never entertain anything other than AEC then later ERF in the yard and it was only once the boys took over that the European makes started to appear.

Great historical posts there DavieSBusboy. Keep them coming.

Alan Firmin had his funny ways, yes I had to remove all badges from front of the AEC and later the ERF we replaced them with Firmins own triangular badge the first made of plastic and later enamel ones, also on the rigid lorrys we fitted a sheet rack to top of cab I had to cut sides down because Firmin did not want them the same as other local hauliers it took ages to convert them but he was the boss. Alan Firmin would not allow drivers to put newspapers and notes in front of dash which I agreed with , I saw many a driver getting a telling off for doing this.

Karl can you recall the surname of the guy who was tragically killed in a crash involving one of the Six wheel unit AECs (UKM 285H?) I know he came from the Hadlow area where I think his family had a farm. His first name was Stuart. There was of course, also the equally very sad tale of the tyre.

cav551:
Karl can you recall the surname of the guy who was tragically killed in a crash involving one of the Six wheel unit AECs (UKM 285H?) I know he came from the Hadlow area where I think his family had a farm. His first name was Stuart. There was of course, also the equally very sad tale of the tyre.

Hi I just cant remember Stuart surname I’m sure it will come to me, Stuart was one of those drivers who kept himself to himself and did not say much, not the usual sort of Firmin diver of the 70s. The AEC we scraped as it was so badly damaged, the impact was so bad it had snapped the engine block.
The driver who was killed by the wheel was just before I started in the 60s, I recall the ambulance flashing pass me in Redwall Lane on my way home from school, he was killed by the split rim wheels of the day very dangerous to fit and pump up.

This is where it all started for me. In the spring of 70 I got behind the wheel of a lorry for the first time.

The attached aerial photo shows Mitchell & Robertson’s Brandon Farm yard near Staplehurst. Many thanks to Darren Goldup for bringing it to my attention. Darren works for Staplehurst Transits who of course are based at Brandon Farm or what was Brandon Farm. He said the photo hangs in reception. Definitely no reception there in my day. At a guess I would say the picture was taken in about 1977. M & R had three artics by then and the small yard prior to them arriving had been enlarged to the right to accommodate the growing fleet.

The second photo is of the first artic on the fleet EKP 551L in about 74 driven by Norman Horsford.

Mitch & Rob 10.jpg

Bosman Transport from a while ago. Photos came from Simon Denton who’s father Harry Denton drove for them.

Invicta Transport Volvo F89 from Hart Street Maidstone in blue. First time I have seen this lorry painted up in anything but Wim Vos colours. Unfortunately cant read what is written on the side.

Invicta Trans 6.jpg

Used to lots of these Norby 40’ tilts in Dover in the '80s - I used to haul 'em out on traction; not with Volvos though! Robert

Youngs of Faversham, then Dargate…

Someone tell Paul Baker this one’s on ebay today. Fairly certain it’s the one his old man drove in the '70s. Robert

The Young Bros Volvo F89 was driven by Barry Brown. He drives for Gist Faversham now although must be nearly at retirement age now.

Mark R:
The Young Bros Volvo F89 was driven by Barry Brown. He drives for Gist Faversham now although must be nearly at retirement age now.

Thanks Mark! :smiley:

Often a photo will jog the memory and shake out the cobwebs. I saw the attached pic of a Lenham Storage bull nosed Merc from the mid to late 60’s and it immediately got the ‘little grey cells’ excited.

Does anyone remember Lenham Storage driver, Alan Turner, who drove one of those Mercs. Alan had married Jane Thomas who was the daughter of my old Head Mistress. They all lived in a bungalow at Kingswood next door to the ‘Battle of Britain’ pub. I was doing some work for them on the property and got to know Alan quite well. He often started the week running up to Manchester or Liverpool. Monday he drove up. Tuesday he tipped and reloaded and Wednesday he drove back. It all sounded very well organised, perhaps they were a strong union company. Thursday and Friday were spent much nearer home. I think it would have been between 65 and 67.

Later when I was on the road myself and running abroad Lenham Storage were to be seen running to Belgium and a few other destinations near to home. They were still running very much to the book. I often wondered how the company made any money from those trips over the water.

Another little anecdote has just surfaced now my brain has been jogged back into life. I think it must have been about 64 or 65. We got a job doing some decorating at a very nice house in Hollingbourne. The guy who owned the house was short and round and had a Rolls Royce. It was almost comical watching him getting in and out of the car. He kinda rolled in and rolled out. His name was Reg, better known by many as ‘Tubby Tolhurst’ owner and founder of Lenham Storage.

I have read somewhere, that Lenham’s European work was loading OMC (Johnson & Evinrude) outboard motors, from Antwerp. Apparently they did the UK storage & distribution of the outboards.

Also, re the Young Bros Mack pictured recently, an old boss of mine called Ian Oatridge drove one at Youngs - he reckoned they were flying machines.

Cheers, Keith

kmills:
I have read somewhere, that Lenham’s European work was loading OMC (Johnson & Evinrude) outboard motors, from Antwerp. Apparently they did the UK storage & distribution of the outboards.

Also, re the Young Bros Mack pictured recently, an old boss of mine called Ian Oatridge drove one at Youngs - he reckoned they were flying machines.

Cheers, Keith

I Used to work with Ian Oatridge…he sadly passed away recently.

Paul Willis provided me with some great photos for the Promotor thread recently. I understand Paul works for Derek Linch Transport based down on the flatlands near the coast. Hope you don’t mind me posting some photos of that company here Paul. Must say the lorries do look smart and colourful and I see the boss has been spending a bit of money on distinctive number plates as well as on a new Scannia.