kent transport

Thats a nice photo tyreman. The one and only Leyland on the firm driven ( i believe ) by Kev Fraser aka Fonzie. Apparently it went like a rocket but sadly ended up being rolled over ( not by Fonzie ). Anymore pictures like that would be good to see.

Seany:
A couple more…

any one know anything about these people at all?

Bailey’s of Dunkirk nr Faversham ran a handful of Scanias in the late 80’s. Here is either G664NKO or G665NKO R113M 6x2 unit at the 1989 Kent Show

My ERF was also on display at the 89 Kent Show. Reg no G840 NKO. When i say ‘my’ i mean the one i drove for Roger Earl Transport from Sittingbourne.

tyreman:
Bailey’s of Dunkirk nr Faversham ran a handful of Scanias in the late 80’s. Here is either G664NKO or G665NKO R113M 6x2 unit at the 1989 Kent Show

Tidy motors but one was unfortunate to roll over while on CNC container work in the early 90s from memory.

Les Knight Transport also ran out of the same yard before they out grew it.

CM

In reply to MarkR, I didn’t get a photo of your tipper, probably because I was trying to win the big prize on Dutton Forshaws stand! This is Alan Firmin’s G830NKO.

Fair play mate…did you win?.

tyreman:

Would that be Michael Bailey,and was there yard on the ‘old’ A2?
If it is the same Michael Bailey,he joined the police not long after leaving school.
His father may have been Jack Bailey,of ‘Bailey’s Coaches’ who had several coaches just behind the cafe at Dunkirk (not the Gate Inn Cafe!) and I used to bike all the way up there from Yorkletts on a Saturday morning as Jack gave me a job cleaning the coaches.
I remember the mechanic’s name was ■■■■,he sometimes used to take a coach out on the school run.

Here is a couple from not so long back that I used to drive. Harrier Express were a great company to drive for :smiley: . Simon, the boss, is a great bloke and I’d go back tomorrow if the kids would let me :unamused: .

Chris Webb:
Just found another photo of the Rye Harbour solvent recovery place with the Lock’s MAN blowing my mate’s load off.

i reckon your mate loved having his load blown :laughing: :laughing: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Tragett Bros Ex Alan Firmin AEC Mercury PKP 335M and unknown previous owner Ford Cargo 1313 A206 PYA.
Occasionally took the AEC to London Markets. Talking to John Tragett last week while underneath one of the current vehicles, the predecessors to these two were ex Henley’s AEC Mercury HKP927D and a Guy six wheeler OKO 180M

Tragett Bros Ex Royal Mail(I think) Seddon Atkinson 311 E999MRP
Driven a few miles and spent many hours maintaining this one and the two in the previous post.

Scottish And Newcastle Breweries Aylesford during the Renault urban artics’ first couple of weeks in service

Wm Youngers W'Hse.jpg

S&N.jpg

Younger's renault.jpg

Canopy.jpg

Here’s an advert for Caffyns from Commercial Motor 1980.

Kolster Brandes, later to become ITT, operated from Foots Cray. Remember the Indian TV advert: “ITT make heap good colour TV”? Driver is Bert Lucas - best and straightest Boss I’ve ever had. Bert would fight the management tooth and nail for the drivers if he backed their grievance. I’m pretty sure the badge Bert is wearing is his “BMC drivers’ badge” which was obtainable from the manufacurer.

scan0080.jpg

Bert Lucas.jpg

More Foots Cray vehicles.

hi all anyone got any pics of w e haselden lorries arnolds gravesend and lentons rochester my old man used to drive for them years ago hope someone can help out cheers i worked for haseldens briggs haulage and seas

tyreman:
Here’s an advert for Caffyns from Commercial Motor 1980.

My dad worked for this firm for many years. Their yard was in Crown Quay Lane Sittingbourne opposite ATS, and these three new Leylands were the first in the fleet to wear the new white & blue livery. They were also displayed at the 1980 Kent County Show. I recently contacted Caffyns to see if they had the original photos but unfortunatly they did’nt. Its the same old story, spent many school holidays down the yard but did’nt take any photos.Could kick myself now!!

Does anyone else remember this firm from Sittingbourne?.

I think this was originally Moore Bros, and they had a place in Essex as well as Sittingbourne, they did have some black ERF B Series tippers and a Foden. Bev must have got a good deal as there were never any more new Leylands in the fleet. They bought a couple of Volvo’s, then a couple of ex Car Transport Mercs, then went for more second hand Mercs. Ceased business towards the end of 1986. There was a very good article in Heritage Commercials a few years back, with some good photos.

Mark R:
Does anyone else remember this firm from Sittingbourne?.