JWQ Transport

Hi again,Yes Suedehead it was the County ground ,Adrian took quite a few there,heres some more.

Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Suedehead:

bubbleman:
Hi again,apologies for the loss of the Fiat pic in the last post…its the picture resizer playing silly buggers :unamused:

Here she is again and a few mates. :wink:

Cracking pics as ever bubbs.Was the pic of the Daf taken at the County ground ?. . . looks like somebody nicked the poor [zb] tilt cover overnight!! :smiley: :smiley:

L&H fiat defo paul parkin and the Berliet new to brother in law Irvin Rahael .Oh and congrats on the 300 mark .

bubbleman:
Hi again,Yes Suedehead it was the County ground ,Adrian took quite a few there,heres some more.

Does that say Cirencester on the door of the Mercury ?,didnt realise they had a depot there.
Cracking pics as ever bubbs.

smiffy52:
Wow that old mandator brings back memories of my time at j diddly doos well thats what bob easton used to call it back in the 1975-77 era when we drove qs they put bob and myself through our class one licences back then,we worked in reading depot and what some laughs we had,ive been rackin me old brains for the names of all me old mates,the list goes like this,bob easton,tommy mee,matt parfitt,pete lewis,martin wickens,les turner,billy rudd,jonny herbert jonny faulkner,charlie with the long hair,bob scott,bernie n joe mcoen,martin willis,dave staines,steve wallace,brian smith,dave elvin, tommy fiddler,dave pither, micky turner, paul watson,adn of course my self roger smith,not forgetting pauls dad ol berty watson,whos favourite saying was PUT THE KETTLE ON PAL,to who ever walked in the office first in the morning,we had some great nights in the kennet pub outside the yard on friday nights,every one got ■■■■■■ and usually lost all their hard earnt playin 3card brag,its great thinkin of them days when going to work was a joy and every day you had a bloody good laugh,even though every load was rope n sheet it was hard work but we all seemed to love it,anyone out there got any comments on them times,id love to read em add exchange our old times.,smiffy. :unamused:

Hi there Roger, you remember my Dad then, Pete Lewis? I met you once in about 1985/6 at Lee Mill cafe just off the A38 near Plymouth, I had my Mercedes 814 7-5t and you were on for Lambert Brothers, Eastleigh I think. I remember all of those drivers but only from a nippers point of view-I think Long haired Charlie" was a scotsman-Charlie McCreary-take care now, all the best-Terry.

GAZ70:

Mark R:
Heres an old JWQ photo, sorry its not very good quality but better than nothing, does anyone know anything about this old Merc or where the photo was taken?.

can any one tell me if these merc’s had a proper sleeper,they always looked way too narrow for a bunk :question:

My Dad had a 14-18 (GRD127L picture is on an earlier page) then he eventualy got a 19-24 (KAN439P), the cabs were always described as “rest” cabs if you remember the later design of cab-16-26 etc you’d see them with both rest-e.g. Towmaster Tpt and full sleeper cabs, but those earlier ones only came with rest cabs. I remember a few of the J.W.Q. drivers fitted a second bunk in a d.i.y. style. My Dad included, he brought the lorry home one night (remember when you used to be able to do that?) he got an old door which he upholsrered, two car seat belts aquired from a scrappie, and it was hinged at the rear of the cab.You then had two sets of hooks in the roof of the cab, these were duley bent a little to accommodate the two car seat belt ends, which were screwed to the bottom of you new bunk-voila! a double bunk sleeper! Terry.

Suedehead:

bubbleman:

Does that say Cirencester on the door of the Mercury ?,didnt realise they had a depot there.
Cracking pics as ever bubbs.

The Daf A828 I think was Scottish Sammys lorry

TautlinerTerry:

GAZ70:

Mark R:
Heres an old JWQ photo, sorry its not very good quality but better than nothing, does anyone know anything about this old Merc or where the photo was taken?.

can any one tell me if these merc’s had a proper sleeper,they always looked way too narrow for a bunk :question:

My Dad had a 14-18 (GRD127L picture is on an earlier page) then he eventualy got a 19-24 (KAN439P), the cabs were always described as “rest” cabs if you remember the later design of cab-16-26 etc you’d see them with both rest-e.g. Towmaster Tpt and full sleeper cabs, but those earlier ones only came with rest cabs. I remember a few of the J.W.Q. drivers fitted a second bunk in a d.i.y. style. My Dad included, he brought the lorry home one night (remember when you used to be able to do that?) he got an old door which he upholsrered, two car seat belts aquired from a scrappie, and it was hinged at the rear of the cab.You then had two sets of hooks in the roof of the cab, these were duley bent a little to accommodate the two car seat belt ends, which were screwed to the bottom of you new bunk-voila! a double bunk sleeper! Terry.

Thats a great discription of how to do a double bunk sleeper conversion Terry. My dad was a subbie for JWQ Sheerness and i remember spending a lot of time down the yard in Rushenden Road. I was hoping that someone may have a photo of one of the early 1626s as i remember being in the yard one day when a driver was clearing out his 1418 or 1924 and loading it in a new 1626. That would have been around 1980/81 i reckon.

Mark R:

TautlinerTerry:

GAZ70:

Mark R:

Thats a great discription of how to do a double bunk sleeper conversion Terry. My dad was a subbie for JWQ Sheerness and i remember spending a lot of time down the yard in Rushenden Road. I was hoping that someone may have a photo of one of the early 1626s as i remember being in the yard one day when a driver was clearing out his 1418 or 1924 and loading it in a new 1626. That would have been around 1980/81 i reckon.

Thanks Mark, I do remember the 16-26s- when I started in 1895 we got three old 'uns from Sheerness on T plates, but alas I never took any pics of them because they didn’t stay long.All the best, by the way what was your Dads name? My Dad might’ve known\remember him-Terry.

hello tel hope things are ok with you ,the charlie roger spoke about was charlie norton he left when they were still down rose kiln lane went to CYPRESS to be a jeweler sent some oranges over i seem to remember your dad will remember him .suedehead the mercury having cirencester on the doors could be because linton &hirst owned cirencester tool co, also ask ivin if he remembers what happened when he went to oxford with llu 369v and one of those high tautliners , and the place were we used to load the books was called the book club

It’s great to see a colour pic of a Qs Bullnose Merc and as I’ve said before on this thread, always my favourite JWQ lorry.So… last September I had a holiday to Kenya, a very diverse selection of lorries to be seen here, from bonneted Leyland tractor units to Hinos to Volvos and Scainias and…Bullnose Mercs! The reason I’ve put these pics on is I actually had a sit in one (to be fair, not a bad driving position) and I took two shots of the interior, apart from a few new add ons it looked pretty much original this lorry. Incidently it had been sent to pick up a brand new tractor that had injector problems-the old overcoming the new! I hope you enjoy the pics and maybe it’ll jog a few memories for the ex-Q squadron drivers.

TautlinerTerry:

Mark R:

TautlinerTerry:

GAZ70:

Mark R:

Thanks Mark, I do remember the 16-26s-

when I started in 1895 we got three old 'uns from Sheerness

Kin ell ,looking good for youre age mate :slight_smile:

does anybody know if micky french is still around he worked out of reading

tautliner terrys dad may know last time i saw him he was on courages

Hello there chaps and how are you?? Ref Micky French-he passed away maybe 8-10 years ago now, cancer I think, sorry I was the bearer of bad news but at least you now know-regards Terry.

lurch1945:
does anybody know if micky french is still around he worked out of reading

Hello there chaps and how are you?? Ref Micky French-he passed away maybe 8-10 years ago now, cancer I think, sorry I was the bearer of bad news but at least you now know-regards Terry.

terry.thanks for info on micky french.did u drive bull nose mercs for jwq.if so which depot

No I didn’t, but my Dad, Pete Lewis did-for the Reading depot in Katesgrove Lane as it was then,Terry.

remember your dad, had night out at your grans then watched liverpool play.i work out of swindon most of the time,had a short spell in reading,always leaving for summers and returning in winters four times if i remember correctly must have been doing something right.terry ask your dad if he remembers me,lurch long haired bearded hippy

tony cannons ?

you have the name right.so i guest he must remember me, send him my best regards and i hope he has a long and happy retirement