Just noticed an inwards facing camera in my cab

papermonkey:
Par for thecourse with a lot of firms now. Youll find that it records on a ten second loop, only retaining it when an ‘event’ occurs, like swerving, or harsh breaking. Youll also find that it has an audio recording facillity, recording your expletives when Miss Daisy cuts you up!

You might find it does that (if the company uses a Halfords style dash cam device). More likely these days - especially with bigger operators - you’ll find it records continuously with everything stored on hard disk and later downloaded. It’ll normally be kept for a few weeks before being consigned to the bit bucket.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Franglais:
I would expect that there is a mention of camera use in the contract of employment for full time drivers there. And probably another mention that temp drivers are subject to the same rules as full time drivers in their contract.
If its a half way professional company, you will have been informed about their policy on privacy* etc. May take you a few hours to read through to find it, but itll be there somewhere.

*Just after the cutnpaste clause that food is free if more than 30mins late! :smiley:

Agreed, you’d expect any company with a dedicated HR department to have all this covered!

Speaking as an owner driver, so for me this is not an issue.
I understand how most drivers hate this latest development, and so do I.
But, I think it’s going to be driven by the insurance industry and eventually will be mandatory.
And apart from old ■■■■■ like me who will retire soon, it’s the future.
No point saying if we stick together, because we wont.
The pointy shoes will win.

itgovernance.eu/blog/en/gai … the-gdpr-2

You must have been given the opportunity to give ‘specific consent’…ie not bundled up into a load of other bits on a piece of paper for you to sign.

Some of the systems record sound, some don’t.

Usually the footage will only be made available for viewing if there has been an accident or harsh braking incident, or a complaint has been made about your driving at a specific time/place.

Roymondo:

papermonkey:
Par for thecourse with a lot of firms now. Youll find that it records on a ten second loop, only retaining it when an ‘event’ occurs, like swerving, or harsh breaking. Youll also find that it has an audio recording facillity, recording your expletives when Miss Daisy cuts you up!

You might find it does that (if the company uses a Halfords style dash cam device). More likely these days - especially with bigger operators - you’ll find it records continuously with everything stored on hard disk and later downloaded. It’ll normally be kept for a few weeks before being consigned to the bit bucket.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Yes, the guy from transport said it’s on a loop. Still feels creepy knowing it’s there. I disabled my laptop’s in-built camera as soon as I bought it for the tiny chance that someone might someday somehow hack into it yet I have to live with a live one at work watching me :blush: :imp: It’s a shame because I really like the job, the guys in transport are mostly ok with a couple douchebags but also a couple really great guys, work is easy and relatively close to home.

ROADRANGER:
The pointy shoes will win.

Yes they probably will win this game in some, not all, places, but it will be an own goal long term and they appear not to see the growing industry picture.

When these companies have only the incompetents, yes men, drug users (from recent threads here of all places all of us should be disturbed at this trend) and general steering wheel attendants, because that is all who will put up with this, they will find their utopian total surveillance operation hasn’t turned out quite what they imagined it would be.

In cab cameras are simply a further ratchet on the course of complete dumbing down of the job, they want the job run down at idiot level with all drivers trained down to assumed to be at the same level of competence skills and commitment as the biggest idiot the company has on the books, and they can drag anyone cheap with a licence off the street plonk them in the drivers seat and send them off out.
Its called one size fits all based on the lowest common denominator.

Fine, carry on operators down this road, see where you end up when all you have is a disillusioned disinterested and trained down unappreciated workforce, when you’ve had so many accidents that you are down to the very last insurer that will touch you, and only then if you have total surveillance.

ETS:
I disabled my laptop’s in-built camera as soon as I bought it for the tiny chance that someone might someday somehow hack into it

They can be hacked into remotely of course… a very slight chance of it being done, but…
A bit of gaffer tape is a simple fix that works on cameras and to some limited extent on microphones, too.

manicpb:

Conor:

karl67:
You must be notified they are there.

Please provide a link to the relevant legislation that says you have to be.

citizensadvice.org.uk/work/ … g-at-work/

Best I could find in 5mins, sure there’s more solid legislation if you wish to search the internet.

Basically, if you’ve not been informed it’s there and when it will be used (accidents, random monitoring) then it can’t be used in any disciplinary proceedings. This also applies to tracking software.

So there’s nothing to stop them doing it as it isn’t a private area and even for private areas:

Guidance under data protection law says that secret monitoring should not be allowed in private areas at work, such as staff toilets, unless there is serious crime involved - for example, dealing drugs.

It is only guidance for private areas, there is no law stopping them. As for your claim it can’t be used in a disciplinary where does it say that?

If you are dismissed and evidence is used from a camera and you weren’t previously made aware the footage would be used in that way you will win a case for unfair dismissal hands down.

The camera footage would be disclosed to you during the dismissal procedure as you were in the office getting a dressing down if you claimed the event didn’t happen.

I disabled my laptop’s in-built camera as soon as I bought it for the tiny chance that someone might someday somehow hack into it yet I have to live with a live one at work watching me

You do know you’re probably captured on CCTV hundreds of times a day? Go to a cash machine, you’re on CCTV. Go into a customer’s premises you’re likely to be on CCTV, load up on the docks you’re on CCTV, walk down the High St you’re on CCTV, fuel up at a petrol station or services you’re on CCTV, you’re on CCTV driving down smart motorways.

Ultimately in the next several years all you lot banging on about not driving lorries with cameras in will have one of three choices - buy your own unit, only end up working for crappy operators or quit driving lorries because pretty much any half decent company will be having them.

Conor:
You do know you’re probably captured on CCTV hundreds of times a day? Go to a cash machine, you’re on CCTV. Go into a customer’s premises you’re likely to be on CCTV, load up on the docks you’re on CCTV, walk down the High St you’re on CCTV, fuel up at a petrol station or services you’re on CCTV, you’re on CCTV driving down smart motorways.

Yes, I do know I’m being captured on CCTV hundreds of times a day every day, I know my phone is tracked by google and so is all my search history online etc. etc. so can I please at least have some privacy in my own home while it’s still legal to be entitled to it?

15-20 years ago the amount and extent of tracking would’ve been unthinkable - things like Windows 10, android/apple iphones, google and FB’s “policies” would’ve been outlawed right away but over time corporations have convinced (bribed -sorry- lobbied) governments that all of this is for the greater good.

Conor:

Ultimately in the next several years all you lot banging on about not driving lorries with cameras in will have one of three choices - buy your own unit, only end up working for crappy operators or quit driving lorries because pretty much any half decent company will be having them.

I personally couldn’t give a ■■■■ about being monitored on all the examples of cctv you list,.what I do object to is the one to one personal intrusive surveillance of a driver in a truck, say wtf you like, but that is an entirely different scenario.
A truck that many of us live in for maybe up to a few weeks.in some cases.
I put it to you would you be content to have a camera watching you in your home if for argument’s sake your home was rented ?

I find it amusing (although in your case true to form :unamused: ) that you equate a firm who constantly monitors and spies on their drivers as being ‘‘half decent’’, and one that does not as being ‘‘crappy’’. :unamused: . That is up there with the ‘‘Well if you’re doing nothing wrong’’ chestnut. :unamused:

Christ I know you can be d…
ah forget it.
:sunglasses: :laughing:

Conor:

If you can’t work out the difference between a CCTV camera and an in-cab camera then you’re not half as clever as you like to think you are

Conor:

And thanks to bend over merchants like you it’ll happen sooner rather than later

How about if they said the camera wasn’t turned on ? That’s what my old firm did, put outward and inward facing cameras in the cabs but said the driver facing one isn’t turned on. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Colin_scottish:
Well were i work now they tried in cab cameras but they didnt last long.Every driver refused to drive it and away they went.They have not came back only cameras now is front facing and 2 side cameras thats all.

I heard a whole depot full of drivers tried this at DPD and the mangement backed down, and now every camera is taped over. Could’ve been just RDC talk, but still, it reflects that the sentiment not to have these cameras is there.

My firm caught a driver scrolling through his phone, and apparently sacked him. Not only did they sack him, but they put the footage up on the large tv’s looming in the reception of every depot. The talk is that he hadn’t had an incident, but was victim of a spot-check. Perhaps the pointy shoe brigade had a grudge against him. Be afraid, be very afraid (to rummage around for, and eat your marmite sandwich).

Conor:

manicpb:

If you are dismissed and evidence is used from a camera and you weren’t previously made aware the footage would be used in that way you will win a case for unfair dismissal hands down.

The camera footage would be disclosed to you during the dismissal procedure as you were in the office getting a dressing down if you claimed the event didn’t happen.

As we’ve already gone over above, any decent company will have covered the required paperwork to close these gaps.

But I guy at a place I worked gardening (yeah, one of those stories) got the sack for sitting in a lay-by all afternoon. Evidence used was a GPS tracker. We’d only been informed they were to be used to monitor speeds and irratic driving. Union became involved and he had a nice paid break from work before he was reinstated due to them monitoring the employee without his knowledge (I’m presuming he preferred about a months paid break from work and continued employment over a few grand from an unfair dismissal case).

You have to be informed of how or when your being monitored before that evidence can be used in a disciplinary hearing.

manicpb:

Conor:

manicpb:

As we’ve already gone over above, any decent company will have covered the required paperwork to close these gaps.

But I guy at a place I worked gardening (yeah, one of those stories) got the sack for sitting in a lay-by all afternoon. Evidence used was a GPS tracker. We’d only been informed they were to be used to monitor speeds and irratic driving. Union became involved and he had a nice paid break from work before he was reinstated due to them monitoring the employee without his knowledge (I’m presuming he preferred about a months paid break from work and continued employment over a few grand from an unfair dismissal case).

You have to be informed of how or when your being monitored before that evidence can be used in a disciplinary hearing.

I’ll admit I’m finding it hard to find a link as it’s a grey area but this article explains it better than I could:

walesonline.co.uk/business/ … t-13471162

It is a grey area but to put it in perspective it depends on what your getting sacked for. If your caught smoking, your breaking the law so they could just say they stumbled upon it whilst using the footage for some other reason. If you were sacked for tossing yourself off on the day bunk with the curtains shut, you may very well have a dismissal case for invasion of privacy!

robroy:

Conor:

I personally couldn’t give a [zb] about being monitored on all the examples of cctv you list,.what I do object to is the one to one personal intrusive surveillance of a driver in a truck, say wtf you like, but that is an entirely different scenario.
A truck that many of us live in for maybe up to a few weeks.in some cases.
I put it to you would you be content to have a camera watching you in your home if for argument’s sake your home was rented ?

I find it amusing (although in your case true to form :unamused: ) that you equate a firm who constantly monitors and spies on their drivers as being ‘‘half decent’’, and one that does not as being ‘‘crappy’’. :unamused: . That is up there with the ‘‘Well if you’re doing nothing wrong’’ chestnut. :unamused:

Christ I know you can be d…
ah forget it.
:sunglasses: :laughing:

Ooh Matron :laughing:
Gotta go with that Rob
So many hard done flowers out there

Another reason I hope NEVER to drive a HGV again in my life.

Aslef rules!!!

Cable tie a smart phone to the camera run a a couple of ■■■■ clips and see what gives.

neybour of mine drives one of those transit taxis and he showed me the camera lens is on the face of one of the dash switch buttons,a fake button

If you work for Hermes, Keedwell’s, Maritime, etc you are monitored with your in cab camera’s and I am sure there are plenty other rubbish firms that subscribe to this nonsense.

But let’s be honest here, it WILL get worse because drivers in the main have no fibre. Plenty say how close their depot is and other crap like " They don’t mither me so it’s ok ". Other glimpses of the weak are phrases such as " I’m not bad financially and just do a few hours here and there to keep my hand in " or " I like doing agency (LTD Co) because I only work 9 months a year ".

Too many have houses and cars that they really are struggling to afford and don’t have the confidence and belief in themselves to push back against the system. I remember one poster on here boasting about having a nice middle class lifestyle involving drinking Merlot on one of my previous ’ employment roastings ’ :unamused: The politicians in this country have most people exactly where they want them sadly, trapped by debt and materialistic desires whilst working & being treated like a dog doing 50/60/70+ hours a week.

A very grim situation indeed. You only get one life so why don’t you tell the pointy shoes to shove their spying devices up their arses and show some fortitude and pride ffs :imp: It’s a piece of ■■■■ to get another truck driving job, get a spine you fools :bulb: