Cameras inside your cab

Does anyone have any experience of having these in their cabs?

I’m not overly fussed about having it in the cab as I don’t have anything to hide, I just wondered what other people’s experiences are with them?

We’ve been told that they will prevent us having accidents, I don’t see how, if your tired, then your tired. If someone cuts you up, there still going to do it but hey ho.

Has anyone been done for say having a drink of juice while driving even if it causes no incident? We’re told it only records in upto 12 second blocks and generally only one clip a day is uploaded for ‘review’

I’d be looking for a new job.

Contraflow:
I’d be looking for a new job.

I have been for a while, although I’m not worried about a P45 as they can’t fill the seats at the moment!

I wouldnt be driving a truck with a camera on me all day - no way!! Invasion of my privacy!

If I want to pick my nose, whistle dixy all day long, or whatever, then that is my choice.

No office wallah is going to be reviewing my personal habits with a view to disciplinary action (which is all they would be in there for, lets be honest!)

I guess it would be a cold day in Hell before they allowed permanent CCTV watching them in their offices scratching their bits, etc. Cant see the traffic office wanting it on them, nor the TM/MD/CEO!!
If its not ok for them to be watched, why is it ok for us?? (its NOT ok, its against our privacy!

That is all…

I have my own forward facing camera for my personal assurances and if I am at fault thats my camera and it wasnt working :wink: :laughing:
I would not be a bit happy having a camera pointed at me driving all day especially a company camera, if I wanted that I would go to ES :wink:

well I hope the one’s in the cabs I’ve been driving this week are only forward facing (outwards) lol, I would have thought that it would come under ‘invading privacy’ rights if they were facing into the cab, some dirty minded TM jerking off watching you getting ready for bed :laughing: :laughing: , I know they record all the sound aswell so you have to watch what you say in the cab (I’m keeping shut after spotting a bit of tutty the other day :laughing: :blush: :blush: ) I’m sure the camara’s over write themselves after so long (hopeing so :laughing: )

I’ve seen noticeboard (at the depot) pics posted by the firm showing a guy on his phone taken by the driver-facing camera. The caption underneath states “This guy has been dismissed for performing an illegal act at the wheel”.

Now, I am in full agreement with “shouldn’t use mobile phones when driving” BUT I DON’T agree that “rampant invasion of privacy” is the way to enforce that.

The Rozzers should be the ones with the “third-party driver-facing cameras” I reckon.
All too often, you see people in their cars blatently on the phone, who’ll merely switch the phone to the left hand when a cop car comes up near them.
Does that mean that hardly any police vehicles have video recording technology in them at all? - I always thought that stuff was fitted as standard?! :confused: :open_mouth:

Well I have not got a secret camera that records me and the sounds I make, I know this as I would be sacked by now when I have had ranting (bluetooth :wink: ) phone conversations about certain people :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

NewLad:
Has anyone been done for say having a drink of juice while driving even if it causes no incident? We’re told it only records in upto 12 second blocks and generally only one clip a day is uploaded for ‘review’

good to hear that the idea of a good old totalitarian rule is alive and well. just out of curiosity, what to they do if they catch you drinking coffee or water at the wheel?

NewLad:
Does anyone have any experience of having these in their cabs?

I’m not overly fussed about having it in the cab as I don’t have anything to hide, I just wondered what other people’s experiences are with them?

We’ve been told that they will prevent us having accidents, I don’t see how, if your tired, then your tired. If someone cuts you up, there still going to do it but hey ho.

Trust me the only thing the in-cab camera would see me doing is tossing off (great for the office playback) the rest of the time it would be blanked off.
If they want to invade our privacy then they should be prepared for what they find.

I’ve heard a few rumours of these and some drivers have said they have took an in-cab dump whilst being filmed.
Think one company said that it only saves the recording a minute before any harsh braking incident (load of BS) should be no issue with me waving my ■■■■ about in front of it then.

I would leave - end of.

milodon:

NewLad:

good to hear that the idea of a good old totalitarian rule is alive and well. just out of curiosity, what to they do if they catch you drinking coffee or water at the wheel?

Don’t they stick the whole 8 hour footage on a screen, and watch it on fast-forward like 70’s ■■■■?

NewLad:

Given the way some of the morons on here drive, especially a certain one who was complaining that they were forced to do 40MPH on the A66 single carriageway sections and they couldn’t get the job done if they did, knowing they’re being watched may just calm them down a bit.

There are some 7.5T rental reefers with those dome security cameras, (Petit Foresters??) with 1 camera each down both doors, 1 in front, 2 inside the cab. That I drove recently, causing me loads of problems when I tried to take the truck inside a prison recently. the cameras inside the cab had strategically place sticky white labels stuck over the lenses by other drivers

I used to work for a home delivery company and they had driver facing cameras. They said it only recorded for 30 secs either side of harsh braking,then over wrote itself. All in the name of “road safety” and “ensuring we are covered against other road users causing damage to our vehicles”.
But after one guy drove over a speed bump too fast and triggered the camera they sacked him for not wearing his seat belt. They put there foot in it by claiming he hadnt had it on for hours.
How did they know that if it only recorded for 30 seconds?
They almost had a mutiny on their hands

I have just remembered when on the buses a good while back (about 2003) the cameras where introduced for passenger security and insurance, there where a total of 7 cameras mounted 4 outside and 3 inside, the drivers kicked off as we did not want them watching us, so the union fought the corner and won, the cab from the ticket machine was not covered.

The company was self insured to silly money per incident (I know as I went on into the office and dealt with these issues) and the cameras did pay for themselves quite quickly and reduced false claims.
But on a personal level any customer could ask at any at time to view the camera footage as was their legal right but every face or identifying object to a person had to be fuzzed out if they where not involved, at the time this was a major expensive headache but seemingly worth the effort.
I am sure technology has moved on now.

I am unsure if the situation is the same regarding the placement of the cameras on the drivers as I have been out of it for a good while but judging by the number of drivers with headphones in for that company I would think not :laughing:

The office would very soon discover I have a penchant for driving along with my ■■■■ hanging out on a Wednesday.

Mondays are act like a Pirate day.

We all know what Karaoke Fridays are for.

I do hope they only watch me on a Tuesday or a Thursday, if they want to see me picking my nose a bit…

Conor:

NewLad:

Given the way some of the morons on here drive, especially a certain one who was complaining that they were forced to do 40MPH on the A66 single carriageway sections and they couldn’t get the job done if they did, knowing they’re being watched may just calm them down a bit.

How would a camera pointed at the driver show that he was speeding any more than a forward-facing camera would?

No ifs, no buts, I wouldn’t drive a truck fitted with a camera pointing at me. If I wanted to be constantly spied on and recorded, I’d get a time machine and go and back and live in the Soviet Union when Stalin was still running it.

actually no, that is a quite inaccurate comparison, as there weren’t that many cameras and nobody would have a problem with a driver drinking coffee at the wheel. or vodka, with the other hand reserved for a cigarette.

Harry Monk:
How would a camera pointed at the driver show that he was speeding any more than a forward-facing camera would?

It wouldn’t but it would show them getting into a rage.