Cameras inside your cab

milodon:
actually no, that is a quite inaccurate comparison, as there weren’t that many cameras and nobody would have a problem with a driver drinking coffee at the wheel. or vodka, with the other hand reserved for a cigarette.

in that case.what hand would the ruskies be using for the baseball bat and machett.,mashett,masett…bollox,cleaver… :astonished: …and I know how to spell machete before someone enlightens me…

once the majority of plobber companies use them,then you will have no option,other than sitting at home all day watching loose women.every larger company will jump on the bandwagon as soon as theres a insurance incentive to have them,so you might as well be getting used to the,.as no doubt if your seen to be hindering them itl be a slap on the wrist and no rice pudding on your “debrief” :stuck_out_tongue:

I have no issue with cameras on the truck i.e. covering all angles so you can’t claim against them etc but sod having one looking at me. I remember talking to another driver when I was at Kingsmill, he said they had one demo unit fitted with cameras all over it including in the cab. It lasted 10 minutes before it was covered up by the driver. Not sure if the company are still perusing that route.

dreamlands2001:
well I hope the one’s in the cabs I’ve been driving this week are only forward facing (outwards) lol, I would have thought that it would come under ‘invading privacy’ rights…

At TP group they are trying to bring it in. All the new units have cameras around it, was meant to have inside cab too however they are struggling with getting over privacy problems.

Conor:

Harry Monk:
How would a camera pointed at the driver show that he was speeding any more than a forward-facing camera would?

It wouldn’t but it would show them getting into a rage.

Are you saying that if you are driving over the speed limit, then you must be in a rage? That the only reason a truck driver might be driving at 45mph or so on a long, straight, wide single carriageway is because a red mist has descended over him?

I think it is outrageous that stuffed shirts hold truck drivers in such low regard that they think they can observe us as though we were worms or ants in some wildlife documentary. If I was ever forced to drive a truck with a driver-facing camera, then I would get the Gaffer Tape out before I even put my card in.

I wouldn’t drive with a camera pointed at me, you would. That’s your choice, and may the Lord’s blessing go with you. :stuck_out_tongue:

End of the world as we know it…If we need cameras because of lack of trust, then who do we actually trust? As those who want them fitted surely do not trust themselves :wink:
I would walk…A long way too, probably away from this country, as there is not much that is keeping me here to be honest.

I’m a bus driver.
Camera on me all the time.
You get used to it.

It will happen to lorry drivers as well, and if you don’t like it, you’ll be out of a job.

We are getting forward facing cameras soon and I’m not bothered one little bit, and I’m not worried about office bods watching me driving along as I’ve spent some time in the office and they ain’t got time to scratch their arse let alone watch endless hours of footage. But obviously if there was an incident then it would be viewed.

NewLad:
Does anyone have any experience of having these in their cabs?

I’m not overly fussed about having it in the cab as I don’t have anything to hide, I just wondered what other people’s experiences are with them?

We’ve been told that they will prevent us having accidents, I don’t see how, if your tired, then your tired. If someone cuts you up, there still going to do it but hey ho.

Has anyone been done for say having a drink of juice while driving even if it causes no incident? We’re told it only records in upto 12 second blocks and generally only one clip a day is uploaded for ‘review’

Are they having forward facing cameras or cameras actually focused on the driver?

rambo19:
I’m a bus driver.
You get used to it.

It will happen to lorry drivers as well, and if you don’t like it, you’ll be out of a job.

Most lorry drivers don’t have loads that might attack them though do they?

Another example of, if drivers tolerate it, it will happen. If they man up and stand together and say ‘no’ we won’t have it enforced on us.

There is no legitimate reason to have a camera trained on a lorry driver all day. I would simply cover it up if it was present.

rambo19:
I’m a bus driver.
You get used to it.

I won’t be. :stuck_out_tongue:

If they can’t trust you to drive their trucks, don’t.

Truckulent:
There is no legitimate reason to have a camera trained on a lorry driver all day. I would simply cover it up if it was present.

I would disagree that there is no point to the camera, as from the Employers point of view it is just another way of saving time during incidents and knowing who’s side to take. (Not that I like the idea of this!)

Truckulent:
Most lorry drivers don’t have loads that might attack them though do they?

Another example of, if drivers tolerate it, it will happen. If they man up and stand together and say ‘no’ we won’t have it enforced on us.

You have a very good point, this really is something we should stick together to prevent. There are enough sacrifices for the pay, this is one step too far.

rambo19:
I’m a bus driver.
You get used to it.

Get on busnet then,what you say has no input whatsoever :neutral_face:

ckm1981:

NewLad:
Does anyone have any experience of having these in their cabs?

I’m not overly fussed about having it in the cab as I don’t have anything to hide, I just wondered what other people’s experiences are with them?

We’ve been told that they will prevent us having accidents, I don’t see how, if your tired, then your tired. If someone cuts you up, there still going to do it but hey ho.

Has anyone been done for say having a drink of juice while driving even if it causes no incident? We’re told it only records in upto 12 second blocks and generally only one clip a day is uploaded for ‘review’

Are they having forward facing cameras or cameras actually focused on the driver?

Both, it will be activated in the event of an incident, with a manual record button the driver can press too.

Brakes have driver facing cameras in all their new trucks and have retro fitted to some older ones too. After a while you just forget they are there. I wouldn’t want one if I was tramping though.
At the start the gaffers were reviewing images regularly and disciplining drivers for things like eating an apple while driving. One had a warning because the rear facing camera caught him jumping out of the back of the truck in an unsafe way. Now the novelty has worn off the rarely check footage unless the vehicle is in an accident.

seth 70:

rambo19:
I’m a bus driver.
You get used to it.

Get on busnet then,what you say has no input whatsoever :neutral_face:

See my post further back in this thread, our union won over one of the biggest bus companies in the UK and Europe for that matter, if drivers stick together small wonderful things can be achieved :wink:
Granted the concession was allowed to have the cameras covering the almax ticket machines but not the drivers seated position.
I was actually on the union committee at the time of introduction.
Still it didnt stop drivers sticking old or blank bus tickets halfway over the camera, thats if they had enough spare to stop windows and cab doors rattling :unamused: oh how I miss those days :open_mouth: :laughing:

I can’t see how a driver facing camera improves road safety in my opinion. Sounds like it’s a good tool to incriminate a driver, how do you know what’s being looked at, what’s kept on your personal work file. What’s to stop a company using it against a driver when it comes to an annual pay revue…good excuse for not giving a pay increase or sacking you ?

I know this might seem a dumb question but how can you tell whether the camera is an inside or outside facing cam or both? the ones in the wagons I’ve been driving this last week seem to be just outside, little black box stuck on the screen with two leds on the back, one blue one white

dreamlands2001:
I know this might seem a dumb question but how can you tell whether the camera is an inside or outside facing cam or both? the ones in the wagons I’ve been driving this last week seem to be just outside, little black box stuck on the screen with two leds on the back, one blue one white

They are forward facing,if the were facing inside you would see the lense as it would be pointing at you.