Jobs In Canada

Paul Gavan:
Hi, I’m new on here, I see that Gladstone Transfer are coming to the UK in September on a recruitment drive, anyone on here have any information on the company please? Many thanks

Based in a small town just over an hour NW of Winnipeg , they run Super Bs mostly hauling grain I think . Tidy newer trucks and a neat looking premises , never heard any reports about them which can’t be a bad sign . Maybe some of the MB guys on here can give more info .
You like Banjos right ? :wink:

they also run a fleet o belly dump /tippers as well. seems to be a marmite sort o place. I don’t want to get involved in a “slagging match over them” as I believe they are on the forum ,as I know a few brits had problems in the past with them.iirc it was over weekend working and having time off through the week.(as most grain haulers run Monday -Friday they thought /expected the same but Canada only work is different). spoke tae a few o the brit drivers over the years and the ones I spoke to said its an ok job for a start in MB. jimmy.

Thanks for the information, interesting but I’m looking for really long haul stuff hopefully

Paul Gavan:
Thanks for the information, interesting but I’m looking for really long haul stuff hopefully

Manitoba is just about centrally located in North America, 3 days tops will get you just about anywhere. It might seem really long haul right now but it’s not going to be coast to coast!
Always seemed to me a good place for family guys working toward PR but getting home to see the family regularly.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I would just like to see as much of North America and Canada as possible, I have a friend who left the UK in 2007 and went all over, he now lives in Ontario and loved it all, want to do it for myself

Paul Gavan:
I would just like to see as much of North America and Canada as possible, I have a friend who left the UK in 2007 and went all over, he now lives in Ontario and loved it all, want to do it for myself

I understand you. I wanted to do the same thing, so I did. So did my wife and my dog and we’re still doing it now as not fed up with it yet.
Like I said before, you won’t have a problem getting hired on. Choose the province and the type of work carefully. General freight all kinds all states is going to be a different animal to say a fridge company hauling produce for instance, where you’ll see a lot of Texas and California and back to your home province.

dunchues:

Paul Gavan:

I understand you. I wanted to do the same thing, so I did. So did my wife and my dog and we’re still doing it now as not fed up with it yet.
Like I said before, you won’t have a problem getting hired on. Choose the province and the type of work carefully. General freight all kinds all states is going to be a different animal to say a fridge company hauling produce for instance, where you’ll see a lot of Texas and California and back to your home province.

I’m thinking dry freight or maybe flat bed work, although maybe Gladstone Transfer would be a good thing but it looks like they only do Canada and I would really like to see the US too, decisions, decisions eh

Do you have family coming out with you or just you to think about?

dunchues:
Do you have family coming out with you or just you to think about?

Just me, no ties

I believe Gladstone Transfer run from MB to BC and back.
FTTM, they were advertising on the other forum a couple of years ago and the lady wouldn’t answer a few questions me & you asked about the money and job.

neilg14:
FTTM, they were advertising on the other forum a couple of years ago and the lady wouldn’t answer a few questions me & you asked about the money and job.

I remember vaguely , wasn’t she the wife of a Brit driver trying to recruit more ?

If you want to do flatbed, then Searcy Trucking is the place to go, it used to be a dead man’s boots job, but lots of the old crew have retired and since the buyout by Bison, they’ve expanded so need drivers, they came to the UK for the last job expo thing. There’s a few Brits on there, good lads too, they have nearly all bought their own trucks and stayed at Searcy, it would be my number one choice if I was starting out again. You’ll be based in Winnipeg and there’s plenty of affordable housing around that area.

The other flatbed job is Edge in Saskatoon, part of the Siemens group, I have heard horror stories, but to be fair, the story tellers would struggle to get laid in a whorehouse, so worth considering, Saskatoon is a decent city too, a little less conservative than Winnipeg.

Stay out of the maritime provinces, nice places to live, but the wages are mostly crap and the majority of the work is down the eastern seaboard then to Toronto and back to the maritimes, unless you like sitting in traffic and waiting around (unpaid) for reloads, someone will probably come along and argue that, but that’s basically what you’ll get out there.

Ontario has no PNP, so that’s out and Alberta is home to the very worst of the companies that import drivers, so best avoided, BC I don’t know about PNP, but unless you can afford a million dollar property, you’ll end up in a trailer park in the middle of nowhere.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

flat to the mat:

neilg14:

I remember vaguely , wasn’t she the wife of a Brit driver trying to recruit more ?

That’s the one, I think the lady is the recruiter, they do the recruiting in the UK.

Paul Gavan:

for the real long haul .there is only one …and thats agri tel transport!.,if you dont mind being home and live the" gypsy trucker life " a month or two at a time. they dont pretend to be family friendly and if you are single and young enough to want to see the world through a windscreen give them a bell.

Random nonsense removed.

Looks like a lot of drivers had to take an unplanned and unpaid day off in the middle of nowhere.

That’s an early winter, no matter how you look at it

youtube.com/watch?v=6fMXhnf-mbA

hkloss1:
Looks like a lot of drivers had to take an unplanned and unpaid day off in the middle of nowhere.

That’s an early winter, no matter how you look at it

youtube.com/watch?v=6fMXhnf-mbA

Its been a bit crazy out here , but you can’t have in Indian summer without a squaw fall so we still live in hope .Too early though :cry: