Looking for work in manitoba area

Me and my wife are coming out in mid to late jan to see if i can work.
So I’m wondering if there is anybody that can give me some name of companies that are hiring uk drivers in manitoba and the names of the companies to aviod. cheers

MR1970:
Me and my wife are coming out in mid to late jan to see if i can work.
So I’m wondering if there is anybody that can give me some name of companies that are hiring uk drivers in manitoba and the names of the companies to aviod. cheers

Big freight are hiring UK drivers, they do flat deck work, they have a add in Truck stop news.(November page 20-21)
truckstopnews.co.uk/index.asp
I was thinking of going with them myself… : :slight_smile:

You can check their websites:

Arnold Bros
Bison
Big Freight Systems
Kleyson
Penner (all owner operator fleet; the o/o’s might be hiring drivers)
TransX
Reimer Express
Winnipeg Motor Express
Paul’s Hauling
Kindersley
Paine
William Harris
Jade
Custom Transport
Yanke

That’s a few anyways; some might be hiring UK drivers.

I arrived here yesterday, 5th Nov as bluejay said there are loads, just get there numbers off there web site and phone, no worries.

You will also need to find out if the said companies use the Manitoba PNP scheme for long haul trucking.
In my opinion there’s no point in imigrating to Canada on a 2 year work permit only and then having to leave the country for 4 months after your two years are up in order to renew the WP :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth:

It wouldn’t matter. The MPNP covers long haul trucking so you could do it yourself. If they aren’t part of the scheme then they would have a hard time hiring from abroad anyway. A lot of what is said about the WP is bunkum anyway. I renewed mine and didnt have to leave the country, and am doing so again.

I’m passing on what I was told by another member on this forum who spoke to the HR people at ERB Group in Ontario for a considerable time.
Ontario doesn’t have PNP for truckers and according to this lady the UK drivers who have been working for them on a WP this past few years HAVE to leave the country every two years for four months to allow the authorities to renew the WP.
Would it not be true that drivers in other provinces that allow PNP for OTR would have “moved” onto a PNP long before they have used up a 2 year WP :question:
Maybe the rules for a WP are different in Manitoba because of the PNP :question:

Ontario and BC are different. I am still on PNP but that makes no real difference because you are still on a tied WP. My PR should be on its way at the end of this week or the beginning of next. Once that is done then the WP issue is obviously moot, but because it takes months to sort the PR I shall need to renew.

Sometimes you can simply go to the border, leave the country for a few minutes and get it renewed using a dodge, but if you apply to extend it in good enough time then you can continue working under the applied status and simply wait for the new WP to arrive in the mail.

Theoretically, under HRSDC, you need to leave the country, but if you can’t get a nomination within 2 years then there is something wrong.

how much experience do these companies ask for when you apply to them because i am only recently quaulifed as a class 1

Every job i’ve seen requires 2 years minimum, and a lot like you to have Euro experience, though with very few UK companies still going to Europe I guess that’s not such a big requirement anymore, might just be because they like drivers with LHD experience.

Here’s a thought for you Bob, or anyone else with the knowledge. What is Québec’s attitude to recruiting from France? We have heard on another thread that it is easier to move to the States from countries other than from the UK, and I wondered, bearing in mind the Québecois attitude to English, if they give preference to French citizens.
As I said, just a thought, although I am on the way to becoming a French citizen, I have absolutely no intention of emigrating again. :wink:
I have heard, from you, that though they may think themselves French, the grub there isn’t a patch on the real McCoy. :unamused: :laughing:

hi,i dont know about the immigration,but your dead right about the food,le nuritiment est merde a quebec,le mange et americain avec its brains blown out.

oh, and the quebecans dont like the french either.

I like the food in PQ.(Quebec) Meet loads of drivers from that province,most are very friendly. :slight_smile:

Helo Everyone:

Jim here in Toronto.

It is possible to convert a Work Permit to a Permanent Residence status card while in Canada. It’s done all the time. Being IN the country is the key. It is a great deal easier to check up on an applicant that is sitting in front of the Immigration officer than some one "across the pond ".

Of course the applicant has to have the needed "points " on their self test, to be considered. The self test asks that you have a MINIMUM of 67 points to be considered for PR status. Educational levels and actual work history wlil be the most important items that are considered .Additional points are gained from higher educational levels, and the number of years of formal education attained, plus the person’s ability to be further trained once they are in Canada, permanently .

Jim Bunting. Toronto.

Welcome to TN Jim and thanks for your info, I’m sure there will be many on here interested in what you have to say.

I suspect the Quebecois don’t like anyone who see things differently to them. Then again, they are generally cordial enough to me.

I have some more info about the PNP and PR which I will not put on open forum just yet. I will share with people on PM as long as it is kept quiet for a couple of months.

The points thing is not a great issue if you completed secondary school and have relevant experience. A small understanding of French helps to get your total up.

The experience requirements are understandable enough, and I think the reason they look for European experience is to show that you are used to being away from home for a while.

Hi Bob
Could you Pm me information on PNP & PR please