Jobs In Canada

NMM , spotted the QE2 on the service road in Virden on Thurs morning , still out ?

Nearly all the British ex pats that I know (certainly here in Manitoba anyway) are now owner operator’s and what’s more most of us were able to start out by financing a brand new top of the range truck. Whichever way you look at it, that kind of opportunity is unlikely to occur in the UK no matter how hard you work so in the overall scheme of things the question of how many weeks holiday you might get with your first job is not that significant in the long term.

flat to the mat:
NMM , spotted the QE2 on the service road in Virden on Thurs morning , still out ?

No I got back Saturday night, made it home with minutes to spare, hit my 70 and day 14 at midnight, been a busy couple of weeks.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

wire:
Nearly all the British ex pats that I know (certainly here in Manitoba anyway) are now owner operator’s and what’s more most of us were able to start out by financing a brand new top of the range truck. Whichever way you look at it, that kind of opportunity is unlikely to occur in the UK no matter how hard you work so in the overall scheme of things the question of how many weeks holiday you might get with your first job is not that significant in the long term.

Judging by the ones who post their truck photos on here…

They all have previous generations Cascadias…

For those who don’t know 2017 Cascadia = 1995 Iveco

By the looks of timescale all of them left Europe many years ago… they left Europe when trucks were around 2000 at best… they never experienced modern European truck so they knew something in between of 1995 Iveco and 2000 Volvo, then they arrived in Canada lived there for many years and never saw the progress European truck manufacturers achieved… they knew only US trucks which by default are 10 - 15 years behing European trucks so yeah of course… if you put 2017 Cascadia in front of a old man who knew only 1995 ivecos he will be impressed and think that running at the age of before tacho on 1995+ truck is somewhat of achievement…

then we add 16h days that you do over there / here = canada
half a day drive to local shaity shtore passing cowboys and stuck in 70s small town inbreds alongside all sectants
sawdustplasterboard blow like snort houses
shaitersuicker waste disposal system
propanetank heating

• all that chemical food with no option of healthy food and bunch of inbredsectandrednecks shouting fracking is good because govner would not do bad to us he knows everything better and you get old sick man who thinks cascadia is the height of the kings lair working 24/7 driving 13+h a day + fueling loading hooking anything else…

I’ll carry on another day/…

been there done that frack that stay away…
cascadia nightmares to course me untill i die…godd ■■■■…

EDIT: a message to the one who designed previous generation 2017 cascadias heat, sound insulation and electric - non apu heater… You ■■■■■■■ deserve to die from bad disease in slow and painfull death…

kyk:

wire:

By the looks of timescale all of them left Europe many years ago… they left Europe when trucks were around 2000 at best… they never experienced modern European truck so they knew something in between of 1995 Iveco and 2000 Volvo, then they arrived in Canada lived there for many years and never saw the progress European truck manufacturers achieved… they knew only US trucks which by default are 10 - 15 years behing European trucks so yeah of course… if you put 2017 Cascadia in front of a old man who knew only 1995 ivecos he will be impressed and think that running at the age of before tacho on 1995+ truck is somewhat of achievement…

half a day drive to local shaity shtore passing cowboys and stuck in 70s small town inbreds alongside all sectants
propanetank heating

• all that chemical food with no option of healthy food and bunch of inbredsectandrednecks shouting fracking is good because govner would not do bad to us he knows everything better and you get old sick man who thinks cascadia is the height of the kings lair working 24/7 driving 13+h a day + fueling loading hooking anything else…

EDIT: a message to the one who designed previous generation 2017 cascadias heat, sound insulation and electric - non apu heater… You [zb] deserve to die from bad disease in slow and painfull death…

I thought most owner/operators drove Volvos.

And of course mostly all the Brit ex pat owner drivers bought new Volvo’ s except for a few who preferred to go with Peterbilts.

Quite a few inaccuracies in that post, first of all the Cascadia, they used Mercedes Benz Actros MP2 switchgear and door handles, steering wheel etc and were available with a Mercedes Benz inline 6 engine as well as the Detroit and ■■■■■■■ options. The only British O/O I personally know with a Cascadia has a Merc engine in his one. Nothing at all like a 1995 IVECO, I know this having owned a 1995 440E52 EuroStar, also interior specs differ greatly, a poverty spec Cascadia will of course be quite basic, but tick a few boxes on the options list and you can have an interior every bit as luxurious as anything else on the market.

Secondly, 16hr days and working for free for some of those 16hrs, that my friend is up to you, if you choose to work for a company that operates in this way, you have nobody to blame but yourself, there are plenty of well paid jobs about that don’t require you to max out your hours every day, you cannot pass judgement on the whole industry because you couldn’t find a decent job.

An expat I know of has recently decided to get out of long haul because he can’t make a living anymore due to the introduction of elogs, another idiot I’m afraid, only able to earn a wage by working all the hours under the sun and he says he’s sorry to leave as it was a good job! Seriously, he could only make it pay by working illegally and putting in 18hr days and he reckons it was a good job! Unbelievable! Idiots like that are the reason these crap jobs exist.

And here’s the thing, who moved to Canada to work? I never, well actually I did as I only intended to come here for a couple of years, drive a big yank tank and see the sights, but I liked the life here and that’s why I stayed. That’s what emigration is about, a better life, if you base that on work alone and decide to mess that up even more by working a crappy job, it’s hardly going to make a happy ending is it.

It does raise a good point though, if you’re only thinking of moving to Canada, or anywhere else for that matter, to get a better job, you’ll be disappointed, even if you get the best job in the country, there’s far more to it than work.

I Think that applies to almost any country.One of the biggest problems is a lack of forward planning and research,then upon arrival nothing is as expected.
Up here it is,to a degree,the same.They have a chronic shortage of people here in all sectors of employment and it is possible to earn very good Money,BUT,if you are only coming here to earn Money you will be dissapointed as it is also a big mentality and Lifestyle change which you have to accept[just as Canada].To make something of it you HAVE to WANT to be here.

That’s it Mike, whilst our job does give us a certain amount of freedom with the many different types of work under the umbrella of lorry driving, if you base your whole life on your job, I doubt you’ll ever find happiness.

The reason I came to Canada was to scratch an itch, I was at a crossroads in life and fancied driving a big rig around, the reason I stayed here has SFA to do with trucks. It was the lifestyle, the lack of traffic, no car alarms and police sirens going off 24/7, no gangs of chavs kicking off etc, the job, well that’s only to pay the bills and buy stuff I want or need, there’s far more to life than going to work, although it doesn’t always feel that way when you’re a thousand miles from home on a Friday evening as I am right now lol

kyk:

wire:

propanetank heating

EDIT: a message to the one who designed previous generation 2017 cascadias heat, sound insulation and electric - non apu heater… You [zb] deserve to die from bad disease in slow and painfull death…

You sound like a ■■■■■■ off H&R returnee/failure . Looking forward to your next post , always like a good laugh :laughing: :unamused:

Just seen this think we know people who worked here, Like to hear some comments

B&D WALTER TRUCKING LTD.

DRIVERS TO TRANSPORT BULK COMMODITIES / OVERSIZE EQUIPMENT

Company specializing in the transportation of goods between the Northwestern states & Provinces including: ID & AB, (*Main runs), MT, UT, WY, WA OR, ND, SD. Drivers will need a current Class 1 CDL with endorsements.

Newer model equipment (2018 trucks on order)
Starting at $0.44 / mile
Bi-weekly pay
3000-3500 miles A week Average
weekends Home

• recognition incentives and Bonuses (including trip For 2)

MAIL:

B&D Walter Trucking Ltd.

3214 5th AVE North

Lethbridge, AB T1H 0P4

PHONE/FAX:

Ph: 1-800-268-6935

Fx: (403) 327-0267

Lethbridge has got to be one of the worst places in the whole of Canada to get a job, apart from FritoLay, it seems that the rest of them down there are terrible places to work.

This was on Indeed today ( 5 June ) ,

algary & Surrounding Area Candidates - More Home-Time, New Pay!

Agri-Fresh from Lockport, Manitoba, has a great new opportunity available and we want Calgary Long-Haul Truck drivers to join our team! - With a new company initiative being put in place within the Calgary market, we are able to offer Calgary located candidates the opportunity for more home time! We will be out in Calgary next week to conduct in-person interviews!

We are a mid-size company located in Lockport, Manitoba just 10 minutes North of Winnipeg who specialize in hauling Fresh and Healthy Produce from California into the Canadian Prairies!

A ton of our business is located in the Alberta/Saskatchewan Markets and we feel we can offer you the work/life balance you’re wanting as our clients are in your home town!

Here’s what we’re looking for:

• Class 1A driver’s license with one-two years of experience.

• Able for entry to the United States

• Ability to do trip lengths of 7-12 days

• Ability to operate and drive articulated trucks to transport goods and materials

• Ability to plan travel schedules and routes, use atlases and other trip planning aids such as GPS

• Mountain driving experience considered an asset

• Clear Criminal Record check

• Drivers Abstract with three or less violations

*Compensation: *

• NEW - Competitive 0.43 - 0.47 RPM with Yearly Retention Bonus and Quarterly Bonus as well as Paid for Picks/Drops, Detentions, Layovers, Boarder Crossings -

*11,000 Avg. monthly miles

• After three months employment we offer a health benefits package (medical, dental, disability & life insurance)

• Vacation pay of four percent, approximately two weeks of time after one year employment

Agri-Fresh is an equal opportunity employer, we invite all interested applicants to apply online at www.agrifresh.ca, or call 204-289-3033 for details and ask for someone in our recruitment dept.

Job Type: Full-time

Salary: $60,000.00 to $80,000.00 /year

Licence:

Class 1 Driver’s License

And another one , I,m sure there will be some words about this firm

B&D WALTER TRUCKING LTD.

DRIVERS TO TRANSPORT BULK COMMODITIES / OVERSIZE EQUIPMENT

Company specializing in the transportation of goods between the Northwestern states & Provinces including: ID & AB, (*Main runs), MT, UT, WY, WA OR, ND, SD. Drivers will need a current Class 1 CDL with endorsements.

Newer model equipment (2018 trucks on order)
Starting at $0.44 / mile
Bi-weekly pay
3000-3500 miles A week Average
weekends Home

• recognition incentives and Bonuses (including trip For 2)

MAIL:

B&D Walter Trucking Ltd.

3214 5th AVE North

Lethbridge, AB T1H 0P4

PHONE/FAX:

Ph: 1-800-268-6935

Fx: (403) 327-0267

Job Type: Full-time

If I were looking at coming out, Agritel would be the best option of the two, but I would check the immigration thing out first, Alberta was a nightmare to get PR a few years ago.

B&D Walters, not a firm I would recommend to anybody, I’ve heard some real horror stories about them, no personal experience of them, but there’s no smoke without fire.

I was on more than those as fresh import recently and run away…

Frack that “Canadian dream”…
UK - live to work
Scandi - work to live
Canada - work to work…

hutpik - I mistyped, sorry :smiley: I’m on the same page with you, just bloody typing error…

I certainly dont Think that Sweden is a ‘‘live to work’’ Culture.The people here value their free time and the Culture revolves around earning Money to spend during free time.If you look at how many families have a ‘‘holiday home’’ then you see that the work ethic is directed to finishing work to get to the cottage asap.

In certain parts of Canada, it is work, work, work. No doubt about that, not just in trucking either, it’s like everyone wants to be the boss’s favourite and they do that by sucking up big time. At Paul Brandt Trucking, I was asked by the safety director of I wanted to donate towards a Christmas present to the owners, I asked how much bonus we got, was told there was no Christmas bonus and answered that there would be no donation from me then. The rest of them all coughed up though.

All i did there was my job, no sucking up at all, i made them aware of what i was and wasn’t prepared to do and it was never a problem, on the contrary, i was very well looked after and despite being a bit militant, i never had to have words with the office. They did expect a little too much at times, but they never tried it on with me as there were plenty of ■■■■ ups waiting in the wings ready to impress.

Firms like that are few and far between though, even for owner operators, I’ve been considering a move to another part of Canada and did a bit of research in case I had to move companies too (which I don’t thankfully) I’ve found a lot of firms have a policy in place that require you to notify them of any time you want at home, days or weeks in advance and you must complete a specific number of days on the road each month.

It’s all or nothing at most firms, if you want to earn money they will give you all the miles you can handle, but if you want to take reasonable time off, you’ll get punished with low miles and therefore crap wages. This is not the place to come to if you want a 40hr week.

Certainly Canada isn’t for the workshy , unless you’re happy living on SFA and missing out on what the place has to offer . Sadly some are which allows those with a bit of ambition to make the most of life and flourish , most of the expats on here seem to be surviving :laughing: .
Surprised on you wanting to move NMM , Steinbach seems a nice town , bit out on a limb but has everything you need and looks smart enough . Although every business seems to be called Reimer , maybe that’s the hinderence , not being part of the sect . Small town lifestyle with a good work/playtime balance has a lot going for it , especially in our later years , wins hands down over the concrete box cities , IMHO .

Yeah Steinbach is a nice place, we’ve got a very nice house too, but it’s a bit too quiet, if you want to go out for a decent meal then you have to go to Winnipeg, that means one of us can’t drink and in winter its just not worth the hassle of driving up there. Coming home in a white out blizzard tends to take the edge off a good night out.

We’re thinking just outside of Calgary, I can stay with Penner and keep my other truck, which is good, plus the mountains are less than an hour away and the winters are not quite as harsh.

We’ll see, we have also talked about downsizing and staying in Steinbach and get a place down south to retreat to for a long break over the winter, or get a 5th wheel camper and go mooching around wherever the mood takes us.

The good thing is, they are all options, so we’re still living the dream.