James c ashworth of bradford

where abouts in Bradford were they based?

Allerton

peterq5422:
No i have never seen that picture it looks like thats what was left after the firm was auctioned off which mag was it in?

Classic and vintage commerecials august 2011.
They also had a garage at the bottom of leeds rd in Bradford and a yard in Doncaster.

the yard up leeds rd was ventnor st its just behind the petrol station still has ashworth green sliding doors and donny was where the tesco at west bank is prior to that it was about half a mile further up an unmade rd they also had a yard at liverpool, anybody got a copy of the magazine please

If I’m not mistaken didn’t they also have wool storage at the bottom of Kings Rd Bradford , somewhere near where Home Bargains is now?

dont know about that one i believe they used to have a yard in the north east too but not sure where

Ididnt know they had a yard in Liverpool where abouts ? Iwas talking to Ralph Smith the other day after some photos of his seddon and his F88 loaded with wool for my book ; hewas telling me he used to subbie for ashworth when the wool job was slow but hed no photos.
What about ashworths otheryard ?Denholme? There must have been half a dozen units parked up in the village when i went through on a saturday afternoon.

Yes there was a few in denholme my dad gerry jones eric windle not sure if bob bonfield ever drove for them rughead sure there will be more roger jackson lives there now The liverpool yard was just set back from the docks will find out exactly where when i see me dad this weekend

Bob probable did he worked for everone else .Talking with dib dib today he said when he went back after the strike he got an f86 straigt out of the paint shop .It was ex jefferys from Halifax said Bob; your dad also had one .

Yes dad had an f86 on an l plate he knows the full reg his first sleeper prior to that he had an a series erf in burgundy dont know if it ever got ashworths paint job and i believe a guy big j before that used to go for five nights out with dad in that little volvo happy days

They were good little trucks i had one when i worked at lawsons in skipton it was Treg it strugled a bit with the low loader. it had a factory fit bunk went to the shetlands with it once .do you remember ashworths daf 2600 it was blue and the 2800 that was factory paihted green i think stansfield had both.

scud:
They were good little trucks i had one when i worked at lawsons in skipton it was Treg it strugled a bit with the low loader. it had a factory fit bunk went to the shetlands with it once .do you remember ashworths daf 2600 it was blue and the 2800 that was factory paihted green i think stansfield had both.

never seen a f86 with factory fitted bunk ,but love to see any phots of one,any one got one,s and t regs were the last ones made.thanks keith

Remember the 2800 that was a different green to the rest think frank mcquade had that after stansfield and cant remember the name of the guy who drove the 2600

I think Jack Smith drove the DAF2600. He also had AEC Mandators. I can see them parked up on Gilstead Lane in Gilstead Bingley. There used to be quite a few motors parked on the spare ground in Bingley up to the 70s until they built the new shopping centre. A few Ashworths and numerous others.
Cheers Andy

keith 2:

scud:

never seen a f86 with factory fitted bunk ,but love to see any phots of one,any one got one,s and t regs were the last ones made.thanks keith

When i say factory fit bunk all it was ,was a bed which half of it folded onto the top of the fixed bit and it was trimed in brown to match the rest of the cab. My boss sent it to volvo to have it fit because he was going to take it to shetland but in the end he sent me.

fodens20:
I think Jack Smith drove the DAF2600. He also had AEC Mandators. I can see them parked up on Gilstead Lane in Gilstead Bingley. There used to be quite a few motors parked on the spare ground in Bingley up to the 70s until they built the new shopping centre. A few Ashworths and numerous others.
Cheers Andy

Tommy Lodge probably drove one of the motors parked in bingley

Jack smith thats the guy think that was the only 2600 daf they had can anyone remember the scania they had sure it ended its days as yard shunter at bradford

Yes it was a day cab dib dib drove it at one time.
Can anyone remember the international loadstar tractor units they ran , or the 6 wheeler AECmarshalls rughead had one it was all bulled up and had coach wheel trims on t , i wonder where he got them.

the International’s LOOKED the part!

del949:
the International’s LOOKED the part!

You never saw them with wool on much , Ithink they only bought them because they were on for harvesters