James c ashworth of bradford

Whats in the magazine is it a story about ashworths?

Ihave a lot of photos of bells motors some going back to the 1930s and some colour ones later Leo Horsfall who worked at bells gave me them along with others of old bradford wool hauliers Peter the painter looked after bells motors and Frank Shaw lettered them

peterq5422:

No not this time but there shoud be some wool wagons in it

Is Pete the paint the same one who worked for Chris Metcalfes, think he came from Bells and his wife had a hairdressers in Bradford?

scrapman:
Is Pete the paint the same one who worked for Chris Metcalfes, think he came from Bells and his wife had a hairdressers in Bradford?

Idont know but i know a man that does ill find out and let you know

scud:

peterq5422:

No not this time but there shoud be some wool wagons in it

That will be interesting i get it every month

I ve been talking to my brother today he has been rebuilding a cab on an ERFchinese six for Brian Paitfield up at oxenhope and Brian told him that it once belonged to Jack Ashworth also the bloke who drove it lives in the village .Ive asked him to find out his name and take some photos of the wagon

That erf used to be in patefields yard at school st in bradford it was driven by kevin bedford can you still see the ashworths livery i would like to get hold of a picture if its still visible

peterq5422:
That erf used to be in patefields yard at school st in bradford it was driven by kevin bedford can you still see the ashworths livery i would like to get hold of a picture if its still visible

Its been painted red and white at some time but when our lad has finished rebuilding the cab hes going to rub it down and re paint it .one of the doors is in our garage now to be repaired .Ill have a go at it to see whats under the red paint .Did you get the numbers i e mailed you ;

Got the numbers thanks will be arranging a get together sometime this summer hopefully

Hi lads

This is the photo that I promised to put on. Have you seen this one before!

I used to have rides out with my father in and old O type petrol Bedford when we lived in Walsden. One time we were coming back from Rochdale to Todmorden loaded with cotton beams and on the run up from Littleborough to the Summit the old Bedford seemed to be going rather well.
What had happened was one of James Ashworths wagon and drags loaded with wool bales was using his upper front bumper to push us up the hill. When we pulled over at home the Ashworth’s lorry passed us the driver and mate were waving at us and laughing like hell.
The old man remarked that in future he would wait for one of Ashworths to push us up and save us some petrol.
All this happened way back in the late 40’s early 50’s 's by the way.

I can’t remember his lorries loaded with tractors coming through the village but I found this photo of one.

Russell.

Superb photo better than the one in the book i have is there any chance you could scan and email a copy to peter.quirie@sky.com cheers oh and the bradford industrial museum has slides of bradford hauliers they have 15 ashworths ones so no doubt there will be others just havent had chance to go i have a contact fir the guy if you want to ring him about the wool haulage

peterq5422:
Superb photo better than the one in the book i have is there any chance you could scan and email a copy to peter.quirie@sky.com cheers oh and the bradford industrial museum has slides of bradford hauliers they have 15 ashworths ones so no doubt there will be others just havent had chance to go i have a contact fir the guy if you want to ring him about the wool haulage

Which photo do you want i have both yes if you can e mail me his contact details

there is a pic of this outfit circumnavigating the old Crystal Palace toilets in Town Hall Square somewhere around.
I last saw it in Joe Cravens front room just before he passed away.
Is that the one in the red Lion?

GREAT pic, by the way!
As for the pushing up the hills, you must have heard the story of one of Ashies pushing a coal tipper up past the Motormans at saddleworth, when the tipper reached the summit and the vehicles angles changed the pusher bar lifted the catch on the tailgate of the tipper… lots of coal on the road.
no idea if true or not but makes a good yarn!

Iposted the first photo which was taken up at the harvesters at idle on 15 march 1965 .When ■■■■ Driver came to work for us he gave me this photo idn 1973. He said he drove it at one point telling me that they sometimes had to remove all the steering wheels from the tractors on the top deck .My dad once helped one of its drivers to lift the run up ramps back onto the side of the wagon as the mate with him could not lift them’ Ialso have the 2nd photo but dont know anything about it .Ithink theres also a colour shot somewere.Which Red Lion do you mean ionly go in the one in Silsden ;

No, the red lion at 4 lane ends in Bradford, I had seen the red lion mentioned on here and going by the names of the people mentioned assumed thats the one meant.

Tankerman:
I used to have rides out with my father in and old O type petrol Bedford when we lived in Walsden. One time we were coming back from Rochdale to Todmorden loaded with cotton beams and on the run up from Littleborough to the Summit the old Bedford seemed to be going rather well.
What had happened was one of James Ashworths wagon and drags loaded with wool bales was using his upper front bumper to push us up the hill. When we pulled over at home the Ashworth’s lorry passed us the driver and mate were waving at us and laughing like hell.
The old man remarked that in future he would wait for one of Ashworths to push us up and save us some petrol.
All this happened way back in the late 40’s early 50’s 's by the way.

I can’t remember his lorries loaded with tractors coming through the village but I found this photo of one.

Russell.

This is a great photo Russell i was given the same photo about 20 yrs ago where did you get yours

Peter have you seen this one Jack found it in a mag?

No i have never seen that picture it looks like thats what was left after the firm was auctioned off which mag was it in?