Is starting at age 59 too old?

Hi all.
I’m a newbie at this - even just in blogging, let alone my interest in HGV driving. I took early retirement from a totally unrelated-to-driving job, but I’m really interested in going for HGV driver training. My question, though, is this: at age 59, would you say it’s too late for me to take up training with the hopes of getting a job driving lorries?
Thanks in advance!
Don.

Go for it if it’s something you want to do.

If it’s something you realy want then go for it, but first make sure you no what the job is before you spend £3500. At 59 you maybe to old for multi-drop shop work so would need something more easy so is there any such work in your area. Another thing is the hours are you used to working the hours truck drivers can work, will your wife want you away all the time.

One of our drivers didn’t retire til he was 72…get on and do it if it’s what you want :smiley:

xichrisxi:
One of our drivers didn’t retire til he was 72…get on and do it if it’s what you want :smiley:

Thats driving for you low wages so no savings and no pension so got to work untill you die

You are not too old to train, but you have to be very sure that HGV driving is the right thing for you. Have a very thorough read through the prof driver’s section of the forum to see all the gripes about the job; go back several months. You will almost immediately notice that there is not much positive to say about HGV driving these days. It certainly isn’t: ‘out on the open road and admire the countryside’ . It is going to come as an extreme culture shock. You will have spent a lot of money training, with the result that there is a good chance of feeling trapped in a job you hate simply to be able to recover your training costs. Perhaps most importantly you need to discuss this with your partner, what are their feelings about you being away from home overnight - possibly for several nights every week? Don’t imagine that £20 odd night out money is actually going to cover the expense of being away from home. How do you feel about sleeping in laybys with no facilities at all night after night?

mac12:

xichrisxi:

Thats driving for you low wages so no savings and no pension so got to work untill you die

Not in this chaps case,he was a retired police officer no doubt on a hefty pension and drove a quite new Jaguar (50k worth of car) he worked 3 days a week purely because he enjoyed driving and didn’t want to sit at home doing nothing…but granted in many cases it is what you say with drivers still driving beyond retirement age.

On the one hand I know of drivers who carry on into their 70’s with no problems. If you’re physically and mentally ok, why not? The possible problematic. as you suggest is getting a start. Getting a licence should be ok.
I’d imagine a prospective employer would want to be sure you’d go some way to repaying him/her for them investing in you. A first employer will be taking a risk with any newly passed driver. Getting the license doesn’t mean you’re going to earn them money from the off- new drivers are often on less money etc to account for the extra risk an employer has in taking on a newbie. All newly qualified drivers are a risk.
For you- older drivers may be seen as being cheaper on insurance, maybe you’ll have a good history and references to show you’re reliable and honest.
Against- maybe you’ll be seen as someone who can afford to walk out? But then investing in your own training would challenge that assumption.
Do you know many people in the industry? Can you speak to them and their employers to see what’s happening in your area? See if any like the idea of taking you on after you get a license?
Anyway good luck

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

At 59 my main concern would be passing the medical, and continuing to pass it. As once you fail that, the licences are worthless…
So if you’re as fit as a butchers dog, I don’t see an issue!

I would however say that class 1 work would be more suited to you, as it’s generally less physical. Another consideration is that this job is often not a standard 8-10 hour days, and you can’t knock off until the work is done. So again, depending on your physical condition this may be a consideration if you tire easily.

Finally, it’s worth remembering that when you’re a Newbie you burn a hell of a lot of mental energy, probably a lot more than an experienced driver. So to start with you might find it exhausting and possibly regret your decision…

I’m not trying to put you off pal, as I say go for it.
I’m just trying to arm you so you don’t go in blind.

Best of luck pal! :smiley:

DonnyW:
Hi all.
I’m a newbie at this - even just in blogging, let alone my interest in HGV driving. I took early retirement from a totally unrelated-to-driving job, but I’m really interested in going for HGV driver training. My question, though, is this: at age 59, would you say it’s too late for me to take up training with the hopes of getting a job driving lorries?
Thanks in advance!
Don.

Hi, Donny,

I am 42 and, as you, I like driving so decided to put apart my other skills and test myself in this field.

what Evil8Beezle is saying is absolutely right… however before spending 2k or more why don’t you try driving a 7,5 tons to see if you’re confident enough to take class 2 and 1 soon after?

It depends where you live, but generally speaking I have noticed the less the vehicle weights more the drops are :smiley: when I was delivering parcels on 3.5 tons I had up to 100 drops, on a 7,5 you can do from 3 to 20 or more (I do between 3 and 7 daily doing 220-270 miles a day).

It also depends the company you work for if they use forklifts or you have to unload handballing heavy items… my idea is that if you have NEVER experienced doing multidrops it will be good to test yourself, because it is not easy to go from class B to class 1 and get a job driving from point A to point B :slight_smile:

I’m 56 and renewed my hgv last year. Granted, I had a lot of previous experience but that was 20+ years ago. What I would think, on top of your personal life situation is it’s down to your level of personal fitness and your character - imo, the character of a person will often dictate if they can make a go of something or fail (I know guys less than half my age who are what I call defeatists: slightest thing doesn’t go to plan and they cry like a baby).

Starting off as a new driver, if you don’t have a local place offering your work it could mean going the agency route and although I’m very fit and agile for my age, I know my limits and want to keep my own kneecaps and hips for when I retire (at about 80 the way things are going) and all the agency’s I registered with initially tried to entice me with smaller wagons to start and as already said that equates to more hassle/ drops/ stress etc. You will often see agency’s adverts that seem to offer you a cushy job, good money/ hours etc. It’s rarely true and it’s a ruse to get you into their door. I held out for some months and finally got a call for some class 2 work which was mainly forklift on and off and the occasional pallet truck drop.

I passed hgv 1 & 2 at the age of 50 having a totally different career before. I then done some agency class 1 every other weekend to get experience while still in permanent employment. Just over a year ago I got a permanent class 2 position for good money. The driving took a bit of getting used to at first but like most jobs you have good and bad days. I will be 53 in July and having the choice again I would still have made the change

The first couple of years after passing are the worst. With the best will in the world, it is hard enough for any newbie to land a permanent job. A newbie with more experience behind them than in front might find it even more difficult.

You may end up with the agencies taking whatever you can find. Again, very limited opportunities for new drivers without 2 years’ experience, but there are some and your age is likely to be less of an issue. All the agency is interested in is bums on seats if they have work to do for their clients. Even a wrinkly old bum is better than none.

Wow!
Thanks for all your replies, people!
Very informative and helpful!
From what I’ve read here so far - including the negatives - I feel a bit more of a mind to pursue it. The money isn’t such a massive issue - I’m only looking to supplement my pension (even though it’s not THAT much!) - and to get out of the house on a (fairly) regular basis - so maybe temp work would be a good start for me. As for the missus…well, I reckon she’d welcome a bit of R&R away from me from time to time!
Thanks again for all your replies and encouragement! :slight_smile:

mac12:

xichrisxi:

went to the funeral of one of my drivers on Tuesday, that retired last year due to ill health.

we said a couple of times to him, do you want to slow down a bit, but no, he didn’t. He certainly wasn’t doing it because he needed the money, he did it because he loved his job.

So Op, as long as you go in with your eyes wide open and realise that it is a long hours culture, and your first job has a high chance of being pretty carp, then go for it. With luck you’ll land on your feet somewhere that suits you nice hourswise and workwise.

Never too old for anything

Life too short. Go for it . Good Luck :wink:

albion:

mac12:

xichrisxi:

went to the funeral of one of my drivers on Tuesday, that retired last year due to ill health.

we said a couple of times to him, do you want to slow down a bit, but no, he didn’t. He certainly wasn’t doing it because he needed the money, he did it because he loved his job.

So Op, as long as you go in with your eyes wide open and realise that it is a long hours culture, and your first job has a high chance of being pretty carp, then go for it. With luck you’ll land on your feet somewhere that suits you nice hourswise and workwise.

Tbh, I’d rather pop me clogs sooner than I may have if I had a quality of life which I enjoyed as did your colleague by the sounds of it… the thought of retiring and basically withering away with boredom etc. is not my cup of tea.

Being a girl I can get away with saying this, it brought a tear to my eye to know that he had been happy while he was with us :blush:

I’ve found that out speaking to older drivers. Once retired they came back because they couldn’t hack the life of doing nothing. For some, retirement is a blessing, for others its a quick way to an early grave.

Radar19:
I’ve found that out speaking to older drivers. Once retired they came back because they couldn’t hack the life of doing nothing. For some, retirement is a blessing, for others its a quick way to an early grave.

Tenant downstairs retired from nursing after 30+ years 3 years ago… she doesn’t have a hobby, hardly goes out etc. and eventually got a real liking for the alcohol, drinking most days.