41 to old to learn new career?

Hi, after a bit of advice as to a new career as a hgv driver. I currently work as a master technician for a vehicle manufacture, but as the job is very physical i am finding it harder and harder. ( i think doing the job since 16 years old is also a factor) Working in a workshop that has had no investment for years, workshop politics (the best jobs etc etc) and spending a fortune on tools…I have had enough.
I always wanted to be a lorry driver and love the look of the new trucks, so why not give it ago before its to late. I know every job is not the same as the “good old days” and everyone has had enough of there trade…but do you think it is worth a shot? I love driving, and took the family on a little drive down to Murcia in spain from midlands in the summer, although not under pressure and time constraints as a driver. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Never too old to start there are a few on here older than that when started

Passed C when 37 and C+E this year (38) so no problem - just go for it!
The other trainee with me for C+E was 60 and I was the ‘young guy’ !!

All I wil say is I was over 40 when took both test although had been driving upto 7.5t for over 10 years then

Hi Pal

I have just started training today and am 46 years young. From reading and speaking to lorry drivers about 60% of drivers are 40 plus and a lot of them for various reasons are choosing to hang up their keys. And, there’s a lack of new youngens joining the leagues of drivers.

I found this website great as well as talking to lorry driving mates of mine who all said they had done it ages ago…

You might want to find a member called ROG on here who has LGV learner tips on his signature…loads of links on there.

Good luck in your decision. for me I will be leaving a full time officce job to do this once I have my C+E after Rigid which is what I’m doing now.

I’m 42 just finished a 21yr stint in another job, not driving, passed my class 1 2005 and now driving big big change but loving every minute so far go for it you only live once.

Dont need to find Rog

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44667

a ha…thanks animal…wasn’t sure how to do link…guess it was copy and paste… :blush: :blush: :blush:

Was 50 last year when I did my C and then my C + E ,one straight after another have no regrets , wanted to finish my working life as a trucker follow your dreams m8 , this was mines

My record is a guy of 73 who passed first time.

So welcome on board, young’n!

Fire away with any questions you may have. When you’re looking for a trainer, rely on recommendation above fancy websites. If they profess to have 35+ training centres around the country, they are a broker. This means they own no vehicles, employ no instructors, take your money, find the cheapest training possible and then pocket the change. Whilst this isn’t dishonest, folks are often under the impression they are talking to a trainer. In fact, they’re talking to a sales team.

You may find this helpful dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Winks41:
Hi, after a bit of advice as to a new career as a hgv driver. I currently work as a master technician for a vehicle manufacture, but as the job is very physical i am finding it harder and harder. ( i think doing the job since 16 years old is also a factor) Working in a workshop that has had no investment for years, workshop politics (the best jobs etc etc) and spending a fortune on tools…I have had enough.
I always wanted to be a lorry driver and love the look of the new trucks, so why not give it ago before its to late. I know every job is not the same as the “good old days” and everyone has had enough of there trade…but do you think it is worth a shot? I love driving, and took the family on a little drive down to Murcia in spain from midlands in the summer, although not under pressure and time constraints as a driver. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Similar to you, Im 35 but Ive been a carpenter since I left school, getting fed up of it now and want a change. Cost of tools, out in the cold in the winter, sweat your nuts off in the summer, breathing in crap all the time. Do I really want to be up and down ladders when I`m 70!! Got my provisional, got the theory tests booked. Hope to do my driver training around the xmas holidays.

I Did class2 at 38, then C+E at 39.

Good time at the moment because the old getting the experience problem is non existant as everyone seems to be desperate for drivers. Will drop of in Jan expect for a couple of months. This might be worth considering with your timings.

One piece of advice i would give is do C first work for a year then do C+E. I did this and feel it was a massive help. C+E is a big step. Learn the job and how it works on C first (that will feel like a big enough stress). Tacho’s paperwork loading straps finding your way all take a bit of learning. Then when you make the step up all you have to worry about is the 45ft trailer, the rest is on autopilot. I see lads at the moment working after going straight to C+E that have been given a chance cus of currnt shortage and they are getting in a right mess. Mastering the unit trailer combo is an art that requires your focus, learn all the other bits first. Just my 10p.

If you have any specific questions or worries pm me always happy to help.

Thanks for the link animal :slight_smile: and thanks everyone for advice. I took a taster lesson about 5 years ago but I think still have the the prov category till 2018 on my lience, I rember having medical and took theroy. Is it just the theroy that lasted for 2 years? So many questions floating in my head…but glad I found this site/forum :smiley: :smiley:

Winks41:
Thanks for the link animal :slight_smile: and thanks everyone for advice. I took a taster lesson about 5 years ago but I think still have the the prov category till 2018 on my lience, I rember having medical and took theroy. Is it just the theroy that lasted for 2 years? So many questions floating in my head…but glad I found this site/forum :smiley: :smiley:

Theory = valid 2 years

D4 Medical valid until age 45 for you as you did it before age 40

Did my class c and then e at 53 having worked behind a desk for over 30 years. No regrets. Couple of things I 'd add…some jobs are physical (I deliver gas in 105 kg cylinders and load them manually fro store to tail lift then from truck to where they are fitted. Just shifted 60 of them! Having driven tankers…there are less strenuous driving jobs too. And the pay can be crap for long hours, so do some research on that too. Good luck!!

I’m 46 & just started my latest career, you youngster, lol! :laughing:

I was in the military for 22 years, but wanted to drive trucks since I was 5, so when I left I did my C and C+E at 41, fell very lucky straight onto C+E work with a very patient employer, who allowed me to make mistakes as long as I learnt from them. Very steep learning curve and I did struggle but got there in the end. Give it ago if it’s what you want to do, if it doesn’t work out at least you tried.

I think employers are delighted to get mature guys behind the wheel. You need to remember the cost which is tremendous, the time it takes to go through MOdules 1/2/3/4 & the time off work. But it’s all worth it. Gregory distribution are amazing for training. It’s a long journey regardless but it’s exciting and challenging. Good luck and enjoy the journey

L’amiral:
I think employers are delighted to get mature guys behind the wheel. You need to remember the cost which is tremendous, the time it takes to go through MOdules 1/2/3/4 & the time off work. But it’s all worth it. Gregory distribution are amazing for training. It’s a long journey regardless but it’s exciting and challenging. Good luck and enjoy the journey

Excuse me

If he passed test before 97 he wont need modules 2 & 4

Guys or ladies … Absolutely ! :slight_smile: