HGV at 57. Too old?

Hi everyone. I am thinking about training for a HGV license and wondered if people think I’m a bit old at 57. Reading some of these forums and people say you need to struggle for a couple of years before anyone will take you on means I will be geriatric before I even start!
Also live in Dorset/Somerset area and seems a lack of training schools in this area. Found one in Exeter called SRTS Ltd. run by Steve Robertson. Any one know anything about them?; sounds good but then they all do! Have done a lot of biggish van driving jobs; Luton bodied Sprinters etc and have done some quite big miles per week (1000 + was quite common) so that side of it isn’t a problem but van jobs seem to mainly be multi drop which when i tried it i hated. So thought would look into the big boys’ (and Girls) jobs.
Any pearls of wisdom would be very welcome. And I can take the brutal truth!

Welcome andywipes :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
If you click the link in my signature it will lead you to an index where you can access a lot of info which may be of use to you :smiley: :smiley:

Are you too old - never, if that is what you want to do.
As you have a C1 licence, have you tried the C1 (7.5 tonners) as they may give you an insight to the job - a bit :slight_smile: but they, and a lot of C work is

multi drop which when i tried it i hated.

, which, means that you want trunking, which, in turn means CE (artic - usually) and as you say, employers are not likely to entertain you until you have shown LGV experience on C.
If you got both licences, C & CE, this year then you would probably be looking at multidrop C work for a year or so and then with a bit of luck, get a CE job - that MAY not be until you are 60ish. Saying all that, NOTHING is set in stone - so over to you…

Thanks Rog. I have looked at your link before but will do so again. I suppose with multi drop it depends how many. Also I am children and mortgage free so don’t need to work all the hours under the sun. Few days a week would do tho’ to start I would do whatever to gain the experience

I think you are far more likely to get work as you only want part time it seems. In my experience there are lots of agencies that are desperate for people like you (and me - i’m 56), for odd days - especially weekends, So I say go for it.

You are never to old to achieve an ambition - so go for it.
But do be warned - learning any new skill gets harder as we get older, as we have to struggle against set habits of a lifetime.
But many of your age have done it so dont let a little thing like a few grey hairs put you off.

Cheers for that Smart Mart and mothertrucker. If only I did have a few grey hairs I would be grateful; it would stop the glare from the sun reflecting off my dome!

if its what you want to do go for it a change of career after a certain age does mean you seem to look at what youre being taught /depending on youre experiences from a diffrent angle from the otheir folk on the course :laughing:
but if you think itl enhance youre life or its something youve always wanted to do go get it :laughing:

andywipes:
Also live in Dorset/Somerset area and seems a lack of training schools in this area. !

Taunton Training ( guess where!) used them for my hgv several years ago 01823 272497 - eldest daughter did her’s with them 18 months ago
RPM (Yeovil) nice Daf’s , used them for D :open_mouth: 01935 425575
Transplant Mastertrain (Exeter) Daughter doing YDS with them) 01392426242
L & G (Bridgwater) - seem to have nice kit

Steve Robertson was used by somene on here IIRC - don’t really know anything about him - try a search

Thanks very much. Can’t get much more local than them! Will check them out, Cheers

Thanks everyone for all the replies but I have just been for my regular eye test (I’ve worn specs since year dot) and mentioned thinking of doing LGV test. Turns out the optician thinks it unlikely that I would meet the minimum sight requirements; evidentally there is a minimum sight level needed WITHOUT glasses! Seems a bit strange as my sight is perfectly fine with glasses. But if thems the rules I will just have to rethink my career. Have any glasses wearers come across this? :frowning: