Interview with Brakes

Welshy74:
Quite concerned about these now. Are they that bad to work for looking at some of the reviews■■?

I would say they have to abide with legislation as much as the next company mate but make sure, if you get an opening, you cover your own backside in the first instance. From what I’ve read, it can be hard graft and not the easiest of driving work out there but being new, you might have to take a lot of rough before the smooth opportunities are offered.

I know the world is a different place, but when I left the Army a long time ago and wanted a foot in the door with getting that magical ‘previous experience’ ticked off on a job I really wanted, I worked a few years as a Coalman driving a 7.5 tonner which entailed a 6 am start, outside in all weathers, shovelling coal into hundred weight bags, lifting them all onto my flatbed and making deliveries then going home every night knackered, black and sweaty.

I couldn’t do that now though, it would kill me but my point is, you are at the bottom of a ladder and can’t be that fussy at this point in time so take what opportunities you can if you’re prepared to graft… but keep your licence clean.

You’ll get it as they’ll take anybody on and no driver with any experience would go near them. Have you tried David Hathaway at Yate?

They have still gone dark with me, its like the company dont exist anymore.

Had my first interview on 31/01/17, went quite well.
Was told they would be in touch to set up driving assessment, they couldn’t do it all that day as their driving assessor was not there.
Heard nothing since then, when I try to call the number just rings endless, when I try the customer number they dont no what your talking about, or they just fob you off once they realise I’m not a customer complaining about a delivery.

Even turning up at the depot cant be done, its like fort knox you dont get in without an appointment.

thehig:
They have still gone dark with me, its like the company dont exist anymore.

I think they have decided their books are stocked for the minute…
I wouldn’t take it personally mate, as it’s probably not you failing, it’s them treating people like dirt and without courtesy.

Onwards and upwards pal! :smiley:

Just as I sent that message they called to set up a driving assessment for Tuesday

thehig:
Just as I sent that message they called to set up a driving assessment for Tuesday

Good luck mate. What was your initial interview like?

Welshy74:

thehig:

Good luck mate. What was your initial interview like?

Strange.

Started off with standard questions you’d expect, then some talking about brakes, then he started filling in the right answers and said I’m going to give you a chance …Im not interested in the rest of the questions.
He said he was impressed I’d been with my previous employer 10 years and that I had the balls to self fund my licence and leave my old job to get experience and go full in.

So it went well I think.

I’m working with an agency today doing 7.5tn trunk to somewhere.
I go two weeks of hearing nothing then it all happens in one day

Had my interview. Very weird. Interview hardly asked any questions them asked me if I had my phone for the maths questions which I didn’t!!! He didn’t know how I was supposed to work out one section of the maths so no idea there. Drive went OK I think but struggled with the gears a few times and stalled a few times at junctions!!! Reversed fine. Then said we will let you know in a couple of days

Then had agency ring about a job and said to start Monday. I have go give 4 weeks notice in my current job!!! Is this normal with agencies?

Welshy74:
Then had agency ring about a job and said to start Monday. I have go give 4 weeks notice in my current job!!! Is this normal with agencies?

Think of it like this; if the job happens in 4 weeks and they get their commission, then they will tell you anything… :laughing:
If it doesn’t happen, they won’t give a crap where that leaves you! :open_mouth:

I’m not saying don’t do it, more to hedge your bets…

Welshy74:
Had my interview. Very weird. Interview hardly asked any questions them asked me if I had my phone for the maths questions which I didn’t!!! He didn’t know how I was supposed to work out one section of the maths so no idea there. Drive went OK I think but struggled with the gears a few times and stalled a few times at junctions!!! Reversed fine. Then said we will let you know in a couple of days

what was the reversing there ?

Reversing into a loading bay, got my assessment drive with them Tuesday

Reverse around a corner into a coned area. Pretty simple. It’s easier than the test reverse.

Welshy74:
Reverse around a corner into a coned area. Pretty simple. It’s easier than the test reverse.

That’s good news, I’ve done harder reversed than that working for P &H and with agency for Harvey’s

Rejected :frowning: . Said not up to standard on driving or the written tests!!!

Welshy74:
Rejected :frowning: . Said not up to standard on driving or the written tests!!!

Sorry to hear that, you just have to take what positives you can from it - at least you got some interview practice, that will help you for your next interview :slight_smile:

Just dipped my toe in the (hopefully not too shark infested) Agency waters yesterday after getting my Class 2 pass last month. One of them sounded very positive about finding me work, the other one not so much. Going back to the positive one on Thursday for an online competency test and to return the (completed) forms they gave me to get on their books.

Welshy74:

Was there any detail on what aspect(s) of your driving was not up to scratch?

Sadly the written tests can be a bit of a lottery - In my experience they are often written by the assessors themselves and nitpick about aspects of the drivers hours regulations which in reality have little or no relevance to a typical dayshift multi-drop driver just so the assessor can big himself up in front of his bosses with his detailed knowledge.

Only thing I can think of is that I stalled it a couple of times at junctions as not used to driving a truck that’s not automatic

Is that what they said, or is that your own assessment?

They just left a message on my phone

Just chalk it up to experience then. I would have suggested seeking some more detailed feedback but from what you said in earlier posts they don’t seem to be the easiest people in the world to get in touch with.

Their loss anyway - as I’m sure that as a new driver you would have been keen to get on and get the job done. Learn what you can from the interview/assessment and move onward and upward! (To be honest, from my few interactions with Brakes drivers I get the impression they’re not the best firm to work for).