International driving permit

Franglais the IDP was first issued in 1968 with amendments up until 2011, these amendments included the current members of the EU.
Although a forgotten document for European travel it was still issued for EU countries.

Grumpy Dad:
Franglais the IDP was first issued in 1968 with amendments up until 2011, these amendments included the current members of the EU.
Although a forgotten document for European travel it was still issued for EU countries.

Date of first issue and any amendments seem irrelevant to this discussion.
Were they available? Yes, but were only necessary for non-EU licence holders whilst they were in the EU; or for EU licence holders whilst outside the EU.
It was largely ignored and forgotten because…
“Driving in Europe
You do not need an IDP to drive in any EU and EEA country, or Switzerland, for stays of up to 12 months.”
gov.uk/driving-abroad/inter … ing-permit

If you do go to Spain and do not have a spare wheel/tyre and a means of changing the wheel(Jack and wheel nut wrench) Then you can be fined…In this age where cars do not come with a proper spare wheel, I just thought it was worth mentioning.

This has only just occurred to me, looking at all the above from a different angle, will those of us who are French resident with French licences now need an IDP for driving in Britain?

BTW, I think the requirement in France for a (or 2?) alcohol tester still stands, but that if caught without one, there is no punishment. Typical French fudge. :laughing:

Nobody I know round here has ever had one, apart from the odd Brit tourist who was frightened by the AA. :laughing:

And if you would like some more fudge. The 80 limit is now lifted back to 90 in certain departements on out of town roads, but, as the cost of the new signs now falls on those departements, they may often not bother. So you won’t always know what the limit is. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Spardo:
This has only just occurred to me, looking at all the above from a different angle, will those of us who are French resident with French licences now need an IDP for driving in Britain?

BTW, I think the requirement in France for a (or 2?) alcohol tester still stands, but that if caught without one, there is no punishment. Typical French fudge. :laughing:

Nobody I know round here has ever had one, apart from the odd Brit tourist who was frightened by the AA. :laughing:

And if you would like some more fudge. The 80 limit is now lifted back to 90 in certain departements on out of town roads, but, as the cost of the new signs now falls on those departements, they may often not bother. So you won’t always know what the limit is. :open_mouth: :laughing:

So long as the UK and EU mutually recognize each others licences, all`s well. So, all OK until 2021, at least it seems.
Common sense dictates that it of benefit to all parties to continue doing so.
But “common sense” and politicians are not a guarantee…
theguardian.com/politics/20 … ter-brexit

Franglais:

Spardo:

So long as the UK and EU mutually recognize each others licences, all`s well. So, all OK until 2021, at least it seems.
Common sense dictates that it of benefit to all parties to continue doing so.
But “common sense” and politicians are not a guarantee…
theguardian.com/politics/20 … ter-brexit

Indeed, thanks Franglais, in any case I am cutting back on my activities, and especially cross Channel. Getting too old, as are those around me. :unamused: