International Driving Permits

At present and in anticipation of a ‘no deal’, I have applied for two IDP’s as my time away straddles the 29th March 2019 well into April, and I do not want to be left in Spain or France with the ‘incorrect’ documents.
No great problem they cost £5.50 each at the PO and create long queues behind you.
The IDP issued for use in Spain is issued under the 1949 convention and lasts for a year from date of issue.
The IDP for the rest of Europe, France etc. is issued under the 1968 convention and should last for three years, but if you are over 65 as I am, the permit only last as long as your LGV/PCV entitlement.
So in my case the IDP was issued on 28th March 2019 and expires on 17th April 2019 (the date I have to renew my vocational licence). I will be back before then but only getting a month’s entitlement for my £5.50, ■■■■■.
Hey ho! should have arranged my holidays better I suppose.

As an aside, has anyone encountered problems of not being in possession of you D/L, which has been sent off to the DVLA for renewal?

Cheers

stevel:
As an aside, has anyone encountered problems of not being in possession of you D/L, which has been sent off to the DVLA for renewal?

Cheers

Don’t try driving anywhere in Euroland without your licence in your pocket.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

So to go from here to Spain via France, I need 2 permits at a cost of £11.00 total.
Nice money making wezze this brexit.

biggriffin:
So to go from here to Spain via France, I need 2 permits at a cost of £11.00 total.

Really going to break the bank 21p a week or 3p a day

lolipop:

biggriffin:

It’s the principal.

Can you see Jonny forigener having one, when they are here after brexit.

biggriffin:

lolipop:

biggriffin:

It’s the principal.

Can you see Jonny forigener having one, when they are here after brexit.

Exactly anything that affects UK citizens in Europe should be reciprocated straight back, just got mine today and same as you needed to get 2 one for Ireland and one for France

biggriffin:

That’s incorrect…
There are 3 different IDP’s (iirc 1926, 1948, & 1968 conventions) you want the later 1968 version which covers the majority of Europe & AFAIK isn’t sold by the AA this covers all of Europe. These are sold at major post offices atm, but I was told recently by the assistant in my local PO that from the end of this month, they will be going on sale at the majority of small post offices as well, as staff are being trained to issue them. You’ll need to take a recent passport photo, your driving license and the fee, and should a few minutes to issue it.

peirre:

biggriffin:

That’s incorrect…
There are 3 different IDP’s (iirc 1926, 1948, & 1968 conventions)

gov.uk/driving-abroad/inter … ing-permit

1926 permit to drive in Liechtenstein
1949 permit to drive in Spain, Iceland, Malta and Cyprus
1968 permit to drive in all other EU countries, plus Norway and Switzerland

IDP could be a big hassle for me.
The “local” Post Office to me that issues them is in Swansea, only a 100 mile round trip.
Living in Swedenland like I do, not much choice…
Cheers
Paul

When I said “local” post offices, I meant that IDP’s are being rolled out at post offices that previously didn’t issue them, so that they can now be issued at smaller sub post offices ie: those in store post offices in supermarkets not directly run by the post office themselves

peirre:

biggriffin:

That’s incorrect…
There are 3 different IDP’s (iirc 1926, 1948, & 1968 conventions) you want the later 1968 version which covers the majority of Europe & AFAIK isn’t sold by the AA this covers all of Europe. These are sold at major post offices atm, but I was told recently by the assistant in my local PO that from the end of this month, they will be going on sale at the majority of small post offices as well, as staff are being trained to issue them. You’ll need to take a recent passport photo, your driving license and the fee, and should a few minutes to issue it.

Was in the Post Office today getting mine Spain and France are covered by different agreements as is Ireland hence you need to confirm which convention the country you are visiting is under and if driving there also the countries you are transiting through so for driving to Spain you will need two IDP’s

As for the driving in euroland without a valid licence. DVLA will issue a letter stating that a licence is up for renewal if you ask them nicely, and you dont have to send a licence in if its up for renewal, so long as you state its for work purposes, and i have been pulled and asked for my licence, which basically still entitles me to drive HGV, providing there are no medical issues that would stop you from gaining one, but some police forces can and will take offence, except in the uk where they have access to dvla database.