EU insurance

You don’t currently need a Green Card to drive your vehicle in the EU, and that will still be the case until 31 December 2020. But if you’re leaving before that date and coming back after, you might need one.

It’s possible that the UK and EU won’t have a new trade deal at the end of the Brexit talks and “transition period”. If this happens, you’ll need a Green Card to drive your car in Europe.

And an international driving permit.

Conor:

Yes. Or maybe two of them.
France and Spain need different ones.

I thought the EU was supposed to have harmonised all that stuff like driving licences, presumably including international ones.

trevHCS:
I thought the EU was supposed to have harmonised all that stuff like driving licences, presumably including international ones.

What! And have it all “one side fits all”?
#10 Overspeed thread.

Franglais:

Conor:

Yes. Or maybe two of them.
France and Spain need different ones.

How can there be ‘different ones’.The clue is in the title ‘PERMIT’ singular not PERMITS plural.
The AA advised and issued IDP’s for travel to Italy even when we were both member states.We also had bail bonds for Spain.You know guilty until proven innocent under Napoleonic law.
Many insurers have always required a Green Card to extend full comprehensive UK insurance to other EU member states EU cover only provides basic 3rd Party.
Just as no one with any sense travels from UK to other EU member states in the deluded hope that the ECIH provides NHS level health cover outside UK.
Project fear remainer bs.

There are at least three different IDPs - referred to as 1926, 1949 and 1968. The type required by any particular country depends on when they signed up to the scheme. There may or may not be a single type applicable across all EU countries when the transition period ends, but until agreement has been reached, who can say?

Most EU countries require a 1968 IDP from non-EU licence holders, but Spain (and Ireland, Malta and Cyprus) require a 1949 job.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

As above.
1968 and 1949

my insurer advises if I may need a green card if travelling in the following countries if brexit has been acheived and no agreement met.

Euro:
my insurer advises if I may need a green card if travelling in the following countries if brexit has been acheived and no agreement met.

Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland

I’m glad we’re removing all of this red tape… oh… :laughing:

toonsy:
I’m glad we’re removing all of this red tape… oh… :laughing:

If you think making Europe a one size fits all Federalised conglomorate is the answer be careful what you wish for.We’ve rightly fought wars over centuries to stop it.

Also don’t remember being told by the AA one IDP for Italy and another for anywhere else.Oh and that was at least into the 1980’s.So what happened in the case of a journey between Italy and Spain via France in 1967-9 by a respective Italian or Spanish driver.Also ironically was never asked for an IDP to drive in US and Canada.But do remember the EU licence type categories being on it including from memory C and C + E.

Franglais’ latter example seems to strangely have Euro style number characters for a Brit issued permit the continental 1,7 and 9 especially being clear. :confused:

Carryfast:
Also don’t remember being told by the AA one IDP for Italy and another for anywhere else.Oh and that was at least into the 1980’s.

No-one has mentioned Italy needing a different IDP than other EU countries (mainly because they require the same permit as most other EU countries). What has been stated is that Spain, Ireland, Malta and Cyprus have different requirements. The current advice on the AA website makes it clear that different IDPs are needed for some EU countries.

So what happened in the case of a journey between Italy and Spain via France in 1967-9 by a respective Italian or Spanish driver.

No idea - more than likely they had their own agreements to respect one another’s driving licences. Maybe the AA could tell you (since you appear to respect the authority of their advice).

Also ironically was never asked for an IDP to drive in US and Canada.

Here’s a little secret: The fact that you were not asked to produce one doesn’t mean one was not legally required…

Carryfast:

toonsy:
I’m glad we’re removing all of this red tape… oh… [emoji38]

If you think making Europe a one size fits all Federalised conglomorate is the answer be careful what you wish for.We’ve rightly fought wars over centuries to stop it.

Also don’t remember being told by the AA one IDP for Italy and another for anywhere else.Oh and that was at least into the 1980’s.So what happened in the case of a journey between Italy and Spain via France in 1967-9 by a respective Italian or Spanish driver.Also ironically was never asked for an IDP to drive in US and Canada.But do remember the EU licence type categories being on it including from memory C and C + E.

Franglais’ latter example seems to strangely have Euro style number characters for a Brit issued permit the continental 1,7 and 9 especially being clear. :confused:

If the young lady’s calligraphy entitles her to sit behind the counter at a Post Office, I reckon it’s good enough for me.
If you’re suspicious of her, that come as no surprise at all.

Carryfast:

It also “strangely” says issued by post office, authorised by DVSA and says United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland at the top :unamused:

Mine say the same.

IDPs aren’t a new thing, we just haven’t needed them for a loooooonng time. I won’t be needing mine for work much longer as we won’t get enough licence permits to operate to cover all the work so its been subbed out to a Belgian firm. Which is great for British business :unamused:

Don’t remember Italy requiring an IDP in earlier years, but do remember you had to have a translation of your licence