licence query?

Can you drive abroad,without a hgv licence on your person,while the licence is being sent offf for the 45 year old medical,and the consequent wait for it to arrive?A lot of folks on my DCPC course are shipping out without it,armed only with a printed letter from their employer.

I went to the South of France last year on my hols without my normal licence because that was sent away for my 45 yr old medical. I phoned DVLA up to see if they could do me a letter saying that they had it for renewal but they would not do that but they said if i got stopped and obviously had no licence to show them that would be a 98.00 euro fine, luckily enough didn’t get stopped in fact never even saw the police on the way down or up ( mind you i drove through the night both ways )

They are sleeping,the gendarmes.

I have received a “cover note” from DVLA whilst they process my medical. If you speak to the Drivers Medical Group and explain that you need it, as long as there is no forseeable problem with your medical, they can get it in the post PDQ. Whether foreign police forces would accept it, I don’t know…

They must be, ive driven through France at night loads of times going to Spain, Italy or the Cote d’Azur and have never seen one yet.

I wrote a long letter in French explaining the situation but it was not needed but driving an HGV in France you might need to produce it, if you aint got it then a fine would persue im sure, but you can always take a chance i suppose.

I have. I just took photocopies of the old licence and of the application form with me and it wasn’t a problem.

Coffeeholic:
I have. I just took photocopies of the old licence and of the application form with me and it wasn’t a problem.

This too, but cannot remember been asked for a driving licence for several years, it is normally cmr, authorisation, disc, and occasionally passport.

Coffee,any photocopies in France are a no-no,they dont like them,as they think they can be forged.
On the subject of driving at night,to my surprise,my Dad and i,were loading old racing cars from a run down cement mixer repair centre near the airport in Lisboa.
The other business the Porky had,must have been a front for the tax man,as when done loading,he showed us a private collection of rare and new racing cars,one was the ex-dictator,the the Porky boss,would drive in one hits to the uk,speeding through France at night,when no speed traps were around.

toby1234abc:
They are sleeping,the gendarmes.

Sleeping Policemen even :smiley:

While it is no an offence to carry your licnece in the UK while driving; only to be able to produce it upon request within 7 days
Is it the law to carry it with you in other EU counotys and which ones?

Batista230:
While it is no an offence to carry your licnece in the UK while driving; only to be able to produce it upon request within 7 days

I expect the law is the same all over Europe. But how would you produce your licence within the required 7 days if your on your way to Italy when you get a tug?
You can’t, so they fine you on the spot.

Simon:

Batista230:

I expect the law is the same all over Europe. But how would you produce your licence within the required 7 days if your on your way to Italy when you get a tug?

Many European countries, New Zealand and Canada require drivers to produce their license on demand when driving. In such countries, the driver must always carry their license on them when driving. In the United Kingdom, it is not necessary for drivers to carry their driving licence while driving. However, if stopped, a driver may be required to produce their licence at a nominated police station within seven days. The police issue a form for this purpose

webcache.googleusercontent.com/s … ogle.co.uk

See the parts higlighted in section 2 Identification

Batista230:

Simon:

Batista230:

Many European countries, New Zealand and Canada require drivers to produce their license on demand when driving. In such countries, the driver must always carry their license on them when driving. In the United Kingdom, it is not necessary for drivers to carry their driving licence while driving. However, if stopped, a driver may be required to produce their licence at a nominated police station within seven days. The police issue a form for this purpose

webcache.googleusercontent.com/s … ogle.co.uk

See the parts higlighted in section 2 Identification

I won’t bother.
You asked a question. I gave you an answer which I considered reasonable and pointed out that I wasn’t quoting you the law, merely what I expected.

If you knew the answer all along, why ask the question :question:

Simon:

Batista230:
If you knew the answer all along, why ask the question :question:

I didnt
I wanted to know which contory it was