Infringment query

stevieboy308:
“A break is any period during which a driver may not carry out any driving or any other work and which is used exclusively for recuperation. A break may be taken in a moving vehicle, provided no other work is undertaken.”

You ain’t complying with that though. I had it from the horses mouth, people are getting busted for it

I’d be interested to know which particular horse’s mouth you got that from. TTBOMK it is simply not possible, regardless of how clever the analysis software as the necessary information simply is not recorded on the card. To do it they would also need to have access to the vehicle head unit which was in use at the time of the movement - possibly easy enough for drivers using the same vehicle every day, but not for cab-hoppers.

Roymondo:

stevieboy308:
“A break is any period during which a driver may not carry out any driving or any other work and which is used exclusively for recuperation. A break may be taken in a moving vehicle, provided no other work is undertaken.”

You ain’t complying with that though. I had it from the horses mouth, people are getting busted for it

I’d be interested to know which particular horse’s mouth you got that from. TTBOMK it is simply not possible, regardless of how clever the analysis software as the necessary information simply is not recorded on the card. To do it they would also need to have access to the vehicle head unit which was in use at the time of the movement - possibly easy enough for drivers using the same vehicle every day, but not for cab-hoppers.

A DVSA officer shaped horse!

I’ve asked him, yes you’d need to be in the same vehicle, legally they can download the last 144 hours of speed, but if it’s a control at the premises then potentially upto 6 months

So nothing to do with any special DVSA software at all then - just them downloading your card, downloading the vehicle head unit (assuming you’re in the same vehicle…) and working it out from that. And of course, this is just what they might, in theory be able to do if they really really REALLY wanted to - which is not the same as the claim that drivers are actually being “busted” for it.

I think you may find that DVSA bods are just as prone to exaggeration when chatting as a typical lorry driver in a RDC waiting room :wink:

Roymondo:
So nothing to do with any special DVSA software at all then - just them downloading your card, downloading the vehicle head unit (assuming you’re in the same vehicle…) and working it out from that. And of course, this is just what they might, in theory be able to do if they really really REALLY wanted to - which is not the same as the claim that drivers are actually being “busted” for it.

I think you may find that DVSA bods are just as prone to exaggeration when chatting as a typical lorry driver in a RDC waiting room :wink:

No, they got new software 3 or 4 months ago, this will automatically ping this type of movement on a break and he has busted people for it, he said yes, often when I double checked with him. I trust the bloke.

It’s upto you fella, I’ve given you the information, do with it what you want, but don’t ■■■■■ if you now get ‘busted’ for it!!

Drive 4 hours
Break 45 with a little ‘unregisted’ drive
Drive 4 hours

That’s driving 8 hours without a break, dig deep!!!