in cab cameras

Harry Monk:

Conor:
ROFLMFAO. You’re being recorded almost all the time. Every time you go in a MSA, every time you go in a shop, every time you use a cash machine, when you walk through town, when you drive down a major road…

And any time you’re in a public place absolutely anyone who wants to can record you and there’s sod all you can do about it. People like you make me laugh because when the cameras get fitted you’re the ones who make the loudest noise but that’s all you do, just flap your gums like you think anyone gives a stuff. I doubt you’re irreplaceable at your firm and there’ll always be someone quite happy to jump in your seat when you’ve spat your dummy out.

The difference being that a truck isn’t a public place. What others do is up to them, but I personally have never driven a truck with an inward facing camera and never would.

This ^^^
I know I’m filmed everywhere I go, so is everyone else. But no one should have a camera filming them in their job 24/7 specifically trained on them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

robroy:

Juddian:
Lads, you do not have to put up with these invasions of your privacy.

Join the union, stand together and you can fight these things.

I know the way to fight these but i am not going to put it on open forum, if you unionise yourselves then your union office is a mine of information, if you can’t be bothered to unionise yourselves then lump it.
Hint…in many cases due dilligence was not exercised ‘‘before’’ installation, that’s all i’m saying.

Juddian mate, you may as well suggest taking Devil Worship up to some of them, they have been educated in the 80s and 90s with the biased syllabus, and view of history, …equating Trade Unions to paedophilia,.and they believe it :open_mouth: , just read some of the past posts on this subject.
You’re ■■■■■■■ in the wind bud. :bulb:

Divide and conquer at it’s finest example.

I agree, i wrote out a summary of the magic words, but thought better of posting it, complete and utter bloody waste of time doing so, they want to surrender without a fight, so be it.

Going to try and take a leaf from your book from now on, and leave them to it.

Pretty difficult to get out of it these days, obviously in the trucking game we all transport potentially high value cargo and the company is within its rights to protect that, for example last week in Edinburgh I had 9 deliveries which totalled approx £20,000 and that didn’t involve many (if any) kegs, thats small money compared to other days and people in other jobs but its still a lot of money and people have stolen before, there was a phase of kegs going missing from our place and not little kegs 22 gallon ones which you cant exactly hide :laughing:

Filming the driver has proven useful in some cases like that guy that was driving an artic and was changing the music on his phone, looking at it for about 10 seconds before looking up only to realise he was about to plough into a line of stationary cars, killing a family in one car. OK they would have probably figured out what he was doing eventually but it brought justice quicker.

I don’t like the idea of my conversations being recorded especially when I’m talking about my wild swinging ■■■ life but theres nothing I can do to stop it and I understand the company has to protect themselves too.

but how does recording your conversations prevent you from stealing kegs?!

Or filming your face while driving for that matter. CCTV in the trailer is a great idea, but surely no one stole who was stealing kegs then humped them up into the cab?

No driver facing cameras at our place(yet) strong union numbers though so it may have something to do with it.

id think it could be good at spotting if youve a problem, such as if youre the sort who nods off at the wheel often ,but ignores it . or catching somebody who drinks and drives, only last week that guy was caught 3 times the limit on the A14 likely he was swigging as he drove along eadt.co.uk/news/lorry-driver … -1-5553810

Yorkielad:
No driver facing cameras at our place(yet) strong union numbers though so it may have something to do with it.

No inward facing and no chance of either here, got better things to do than look at or even worse listen to my lot! No union here either, so it’s nothing to do with that.

albion:

Yorkielad:

No inward facing and no chance of either here, got better things to do than look at or even worse listen to my lot! No union here either, so it’s nothing to do with that.

You don’t pay peanuts, nor do you employ just anything that can manage to negotiate your office door on its hind legs and plonk them in the driver’s seat with a pre programmed pratnav.
Hence because you don’t scrape the bottom of the cheap barrel you don’t get the obvious results.

No need for a union at your place because you manage it (and your staff) proper, but some places do need them to help protect the good workers from the ‘‘one size fits all’’ and ‘‘lowest common denominator’’ un-management at many places, the bigger the more likely, where they reap exactly what they sowed due to ■■■■ poor recruitment treatment and management of people, but true to form blame and punish everyone else (and crap always rolls downhill) for their own failings.

Those places that have got these things, i can virtually guarantee they’ve employed and used meat heads (for a variety of reasons) and their accident rates are too high so insurance is getting harder to find and more expensive year on year, and this is their answer.

Ghiabox:
Pretty difficult to get out of it these days, obviously in the trucking game we all transport potentially high value cargo and the company is within its rights to protect that, for example last week in Edinburgh I had 9 deliveries which totalled approx £20,000 and that didn’t involve many (if any) kegs, thats small money compared to other days and people in other jobs but its still a lot of money and people have stolen before, there was a phase of kegs going missing from our place and not little kegs 22 gallon ones which you cant exactly hide :laughing:

Filming the driver has proven useful in some cases like that guy that was driving an artic and was changing the music on his phone, looking at it for about 10 seconds before looking up only to realise he was about to plough into a line of stationary cars, killing a family in one car. OK they would have probably figured out what he was doing eventually but it brought justice quicker.

I don’t like the idea of my conversations being recorded especially when I’m talking about my wild swinging ■■■ life but theres nothing I can do to stop it and I understand the company has to protect themselves too.

You’ve listened to the propaganda they’ve sold the camera idea with.
Cameras protect the driver too, from malicious reporting :unamused: …thats another one they’ll come out with if the company protection ■■■■■■■■ meets with resistance., half the time the company needs protecting from incompetent pointy shoes all looking to justify their often non jobs.

I wonder what the ‘impact assessment’ said in summary, have you seen a copy?, has any driver? were the staff properly and fully consulted during this period? have they signed off permission to be watched and listened to? what data protection system is in place (this one could cos the company ££££ if they don’t have adequate and secure procedures)? where is the data stored? who has access to it? what safeguards are in place to ensure only the person with access has access?

No, beating them won’t be simple, it will require people to stand together, but that’s much more difficult than surrendering without a shot being fired, hence this thread which isn’t asking about the legalities or how to fight back, but asking if sound as well as video of every moment of your working day is being recorded, it seems most have already agreed to them.

Juddian:
nor do you employ just anything that can manage to negotiate your office door on its hind legs and plonk them in the driver’s seat with a pre programmed pratnav.
Hence because you don’t scrape the bottom of the cheap barrel you don’t get the obvious results.

I have to say, I do have some cracking drivers - mistakes will always happen, but we don’t get many problems.

albion:

Juddian:
nor do you employ just anything that can manage to negotiate your office door on its hind legs and plonk them in the driver’s seat with a pre programmed pratnav.

I have to say, I do have some cracking drivers - mistakes will always happen, but we don’t get many problems.

And without ever having met you i know you wouldn’t penalise all your good drivers (kudos for saying that about them) because you cocked up and employed a poor driver and then failed to deal with him when the inevitable wreckage started to pile up.

That’s the difference between good and poor employers, good ones pick their staff well, appreciate them and get to know them, and then utilise their individual strengths by clever planning, and this thread then becomes redundant, just as in cab cameras are at your company—chapeau :sunglasses:

I talk to myself when driving and can have some great adventures. I wouldn’t last five minutes with an audio camera [emoji14]

Although I have no issues with being filmed, in fact I often turn my dash cam round for some in cab footage for my memoirs, the subject of in cab cameras did raise its ugly head at our place but after one of the brighter drivers mentioned all phones would be turned off then to avoid distractions the idea was dropped for now.

It’s inevitable though at some point insurance companies or drivers own stupidity will demand it.

Anyone mentioned the freedom stealing mantra of: ‘if your doing nothing wrong you’ve got nothing to hide’ yet…

You’ve got to wonder what some people get up to in the cab seeing as they’re so against being recorded at work.

Im recorded constantly at work (not driving) and couldn’t care less.

Dipper_Dave:
Anyone mentioned the freedom stealing mantra of: ‘if your doing nothing wrong you’ve got nothing to hide’ yet…

You were saying :laughing:

These devices fall within the scope of the new GDP Act.

Basically, then can only be installed and used after numerous legal hoops have been jumped through.

Audio recordings are even more problematic than video.

Consent to audio recording cannot be assumed, and employment cannot be made conditional upon it.

maga:
You’ve got to wonder what some people get up to in the cab seeing as they’re so against being recorded at work.

:unamused:
It aint a question of what they get up to, it’s all about an invasion of privacy and liberties being taken. :bulb:

Some stand up for their rights, and against unfair injustices.
Others bend over at the drop of a hat and take anything that is dished out to them up their arses,.while watching the boundaries being pushed to as far as can be got away with.
I know which camp I’m in, …and evidently the one that you’ re in.

robroy:

maga:

It aint a question of what they get up to, it’s all about an invasion of privacy and liberties being taken. :bulb:

Others bend over at the drop of a hat and take anything that is dished out to them up their arses,.while watching the boundaries being pushed to as far as can be got away with.

Just curious rob, let me run a hypothetical situation past you.

Say you worked for company X that you thought were OK, a decent company, but their main customer Y decided that it was part of the contract that X had to fit inward facing cameras into the truck or they would find another haulier.

If your boss decided that he’d rather walk away from the job and close the company than have inward facing cameras, (straw breaking the camels back scenario), would you think good for him standing by his principles or that he should just get on with it?

Genuine question.

albion:

robroy:

maga:

Just curious rob, let me run a hypothetical situation past you.

Say you worked for company X that you thought were OK, a decent company, but their main customer Y decided that it was part of the contract that X had to fit inward facing cameras into the truck or they would find another haulier.

If your boss decided that he’d rather walk away from the job and close the company than have inward facing cameras, (straw breaking the camels back scenario), would you think good for him standing by his principles or that he should just get on with it?

Genuine question.

Wow :laughing:
I reckon that it would be an unlikely scenario, but I’ll go with it.
I don’t think any haulier would be prepared to go as far as wrapping it up for it, and if it was a particularly lucrative contract I reckon his/her hands would be tied, no choice.
In that situation I would not think any less of the owner if he went with it.
Now from my point of view I would be away, there is no way in hell I could suffer constant surveillance, I would be so self concious of it that it would make me a bad driver, but that’s just how I am (self concious not bad driver :laughing: )
We have the driver facing ‘‘incident camera’’ that is bloody enough, mine is discreetly covered btw, no probs with outward facing.

robroy:
Wow :laughing:
I reckon that it would be an unlikely scenario, but I’ll go with it.
I don’t think any haulier would be prepared to go as far as wrapping it up for it, and if it was a particularly lucrative contract I reckon his/her hands would be tied, no choice.
In that situation I would not think any less of the owner if he went with it.
Now from my point of view I would be away, there is no way in hell I could suffer constant surveillance, I would be so self concious of it that it would make me a bad driver, but that’s just how I am (self concious not bad driver :laughing: )
We have the driver facing ‘‘incident camera’’ that is bloody enough, mine is discreetly covered btw, no probs with outward facing.

Sorry :smiley: , thought I’d throw something random at you.

I think people can walk away from a good business when the corporate pressure gets too much. You say you’d go because there is no way you could put up with it, doesn’t the same apply to an operator? There is something that makes them say enough is enough and money isn’t enough to stay.