If leaving the haulage industry.....what would you do?

somtam:
I’m looking at learning a trade on a 3 month crash course and to go self employed.

Oh jesus, yet another “tradesman” with the quality of work of a cowboy builder. You cannot learn what takes years of apprentice training “in a 3 month crash course.”

Better keep that license and DCPC up to date because you’ll be needing it. I’d also make sure you’ve got damned good liability insurance as well for your business.

GasGas:
and you don’t have to steer!

or navigate!

No they leave that to the rail professionals signallers

Trains will go driverless before trucks

I left the industry about 20 years ago, did a 2 year college course, funded by being a part-time driver, and then worked in the IT sector for about 2 to 3 years, the jobs were good even enjoyable and a 37.5 hour week and flexy hours was a bit of a novelty, :open_mouth: but never really settled into office work and being in one place and sort of drifted back into driving, then into a niche job which has done me ok really and I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to be on the move to be happy, so not looking to move away from driving now.

corij:
neighbour cleans windows . him and his 3 lads start at 9 and home by 3 usually. iv kind of fancied doing it,he has new car new van etc and always seems relaxed even in the Winter they head on out

but like most things in life,it seems very easy ,when your just an observer !

The joys of a trade that mainly deals in cash :laughing:

I think I’d Sell all my vehicles and equipment rent the garages out and relax :sunglasses:

I left quite a while back and went into pool cleaning/maintenance. It was good business and even bagged a contract with a small holiday villa rental co. Eventually got bored with it, sold my two vans and equipment and went back on the road. If i left again i’d open a gym…

Nine years ago I started a degree in psychology, and graduated 5 years ago. Since then I’ve been marking time driving HGVs (like I did for a few years before my degree). I’m thinking of learning how to do counselling by volunteering for the Samaritans, as I enjoy listening to people spill their innermost personal problems to me. I then hope to be a counsellor, or therapist of some kind. I understand it’s likely to be less money than HGV driving, but I think I will find it more fulfilling, and I believe it’s something that can never be automated.

somtam:
I,after many years driving am now looking at an alternative line of work as I’m tired of the unsociable hours, irregular start times and poor hourly rate that hasn’t gone up in more years than I can remember.
I’m looking at learning a trade on a 3 month crash course and to go self employed. It will take a couple of years to establish myself but I’ll be a lot happier I’m my job.
Just wondering what would you do if you were to leave the haulage industry?

In 3 month became to traders??What you will trade?

I don’t want to disillusion you, but if I were you I would ring a few companies involved in whatever trade you decide to do a “crash course” in, and ask what they think of 3 month plumbers/joiners etc, I suspect you will not like what you hear. my late uncle was a time served plumber with his own bushiness and he would not let you through the door with those qualifications, you might find yourself labouring on, and I hate to put it like this, PROPER tradesmen at min wage at best, look into it thoroughly before you spend your money, remember these trade schools lie through their back teeth to get your money.

somtam:
I,after many years driving am now looking at an alternative line of work as I’m tired of the unsociable hours, irregular start times and poor hourly rate that hasn’t gone up in more years than I can remember.
I’m looking at learning a trade on a 3 month crash course and to go self employed. It will take a couple of years to establish myself but I’ll be a lot happier I’m my job.
Just wondering what would you do if you were to leave the haulage industry?

Colin_scottish:
Ive applied to become a train driver with virgin good pay and the base is only 20 mins from my house.

I applied for a job with Connex South Eastern as a trainee train driver. Quite a long time ago now. They wrote back and said that my application had been accepted but due to the overwhelming demand etc etc etc…

I later found out that there are 300 applicants for every job, and the majority of the jobs go to staff promoted internally.

Funnily enough, I’m old enough to remember the days when anyone who wanted to drive a train could get a job driving one.

Harry Monk:

Colin_scottish:
Ive applied to become a train driver with virgin good pay and the base is only 20 mins from my house.

I applied for a job with Connex South Eastern as a trainee train driver. Quite a long time ago now. They wrote back and said that my application had been accepted but due to the overwhelming demand etc etc etc…

I later found out that there are 300 applicants for every job, and the majority of the jobs go to staff promoted internally.

Funnily enough, I’m old enough to remember the days when anyone who wanted to drive a train could get a job driving one.

There is a lot of competition for train driver jobs, of those that get through the application sift, most fail the assessment stage. 300 applicants per job is a fair assumption. In my experience, around 50% of drivers are recruited externally.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I’d go back to my trade plumbing/gas.

I would like a job that is totally un-regulated with no health and safety issues. The only thing I can think of is “Portrait Painter.”

Harry Monk:

Colin_scottish:

Aye its certainly a tough old job to get into

The competition is so huge, when seeing figures of the amount of people applying for just a single position it can be quite disheartening for anyone wanting to become a train driver

Virgin a year or 2 back opened up 80 new trainee driver positions, something unprecedented, and they say around 20k people applied for them (around 250 apps per position)

They are also now starting a new apprentice driver scheme, and they’ve taken on 3 applicants selected from a cv list of 1200 people.

As someone who is currently trying to become a train driver, I like to look at things differently, rather than with a negative outlook thinking I’ll never make it.

A) If I don’t try, then its a fact I will never make it
B) I’m confident of my abilities, and I know IF I was to be selected, and I applied myself correctly (like if anyone applied themselves) then I can achieve anything I want
C) Even if Train Driver jobs are sort after and highly competitive, If I apply or anyone who applies for that matter for current vacancies, our chances of being selected and passing the tests to get you to the point of starting training leading to a decent Job with earnings in excess of £45k a year, are far far greater than winning just over £25 on a lottery ticket…and applying is free too!!

As some others have eluded to, I think the OP will in for a shock with his “3 month crash course” plan. Learning & mastering another trade to the point where you are matching your take home earnings as a Class 1 driver can often take years. Go for it by all means, but you might have to adjust your lifestyle in order to afford it in the short term.

I’ve got another career in mind right now, the stumbling block is the £13,500 cost of the course. That’ll take 18 months to complete part time and I’d still be dropping some money initially.

If your only background is driving, one option is to try the office route to try & gain some transferable skills such as IT/people management etc.

rob22888:
I’ve got another career in mind right now, the stumbling block is the £13,500 cost of the course. That’ll take 18 months to complete part time and I’d still be dropping some money initially.

I think we’re all really intrigued now :question: :slight_smile:

ezydriver:

rob22888:

commercial diver. Stab in the dark :laughing: ?

Freight Dog:

ezydriver:

rob22888:

Ballet Dancer. :laughing:

muckles:

Freight Dog:

ezydriver:

rob22888:

Ballet Dancer. :laughing:

Midwife?