What would you do

In a bit of a situation here what would you do I got made redundant 4 weeks ago I was driving a drawbar £100 a day I’m now in a agency working 5 days a week driving a brand new unit 2 trips to the midlands every week the other 3 just local shunting job is 5 minutes from my home but it’s only 37.5 hours a week hence taking home around £320 a week. As I was made redundant I’ve got a carrot of £1500 dangling in from of my nose for retraining (as what is up to me) I don’t know to take extra training maybe hiab,clam,adr,something down that line and seek a job working nights for 3 nights of the week for the same as I’m getting now what would you do

Depends on your personal financial situation but £320 pw is a pittance to live on. Either look for other better paid full time work or take that carrot and most likely better yourself further…

AndrewG:
Depends on your personal financial situation but £320 pw is a pittance to live on. Either look for other better paid full time work or take that carrot and most likely better yourself further…

£320 take home for 37hrs a week is loosely around £10.40ph which is better than quite a few places and would obviously come to more if he did the standard truckers 50/60hrs per week.
If doing those hours is enough financially then I’d hang around there and enjoy the extra hours you’re spending away from being a lorryist compared to those doing 50/60hrs every week.

As Andrew said £320 is crap money a week doing anything let alone being a lorryist,before you take the training option look what jobs or firms are by you to make the most of the money,where abouts in Wales are you? Plenty on here to point you in the right direction to get the most out of your training and good luck.

Daytrunker:
As Andrew said £320 is crap money a week doing anything let alone being a lorryist,before you take the training option look what jobs or firms are by you to make the most of the money,where abouts in Wales are you? Plenty on here to point you in the right direction to get the most out of your training and good luck.

£10.40ph if the op is working 37.5hrs only,better than a lot of places…

I would look for something that takes you out of driving and gives you another string to your bow. You already have your hgv so you will always be employable.

I find it hilarious that people are shocked at £320 being a low wage, it is only low because it is normal working hours, not trucking hours where you do 70+ hours for £640 (do the maths)

Thanks for the replies and advice the company is a only a one lorry company I feel like I’m back in school with the hours lol however I have got to be around the other half a lot more (not a good thing ) im near Pontypridd lots of agency work around at around £12-14 hour so they say but haven’t experienced agency work for a long time other than the one im doing now

Honked:
I would look for something that takes you out of driving and gives you another string to your bow. You already have your hgv so you will always be employable.

I find it hilarious that people are shocked at £320 being a low wage, it is only low because it is normal working hours, not trucking hours where you do 70+ hours for £640 (do the maths)

One of the best comments EVER!
Do yourself a favour & look for something apart from driving (I am) while working ‘part time’ because in my humble opinion the jobs fooooked.

Reading between the lines you seem to be suggesting £300 pw or thereabouts would do you if you could get that for three days/nights work instead of five and that you are planning on continuing to work as a driver. If that’s the case then a decent agency should be able to find a good reliable worker a minimum two days per week in the quiet period from Jan-May-ish. For the remainder of the year when it is busier you can raise your average for the year by working 4 days a week without any problem. It might be a good idea to work out your expenditure for the year to give you a clearer picture of what you need to achieve this way. Beware of agency promises though. 95% of it is absolute bull and the rest is suspect!