I quit

Well done ,Onwards and upwards .

“Doing the occaisonal night out"can work in ones favour.
I know blokes who’ll happily do mon-thur…but if they get given a monster on Friday,they’ll decline,coz they’re only supposed to be"doing the occaisonal night out”
And they’ve already done 4 :wink:

Course…if it’s slack…you’ll be the first one to be sent home early.
Like me,today :wink:

Personally, I think you did the right thing - your boss was taking the mickey and being disrespectful - and you handled your departure well.

I hope your ex boss soon realises it wasn’t his finest hour letting a good driver go but I won’t hold my breath.

Good luck - tell us about your next outfit.

I reckon you did the right thing for yourself mate, it does sound as if the guy was taking the ■■■■ a bit.
Next job you go to though, make sure you tell them ‘day man only’ and nights out only as an absolute last resort, with notice, and/or in emergencies only.
This ‘‘willing to do an occasional night out’’ pony leaves you open to anything they chuck at you.
Lesson learned.

the maoster:
My pet hate is when an office wallah comes out with the classic “well you can work 15 hours”, to which my answer invariably is “well you can work 24 with no comeback but I don’t see you doing that”.

Love that one Maost. Class.
I’m going to use it myself in future…and pretend it’s mine.
:laughing:

My attitude was the same as Harry Monk’s.No nights out.Never under any circumstances.Your boss will try it on but you have to get them trained.If you’re a good driver otherwise they will tolerate it.If not.Well you’re out the gate.
When I lived in Belgium i left my truck in the Centre Routier in Mulhouse on Dec.23rd when the planner gave me work for the following week when he knew i had booked the last ferry out of Ostend to come to the UK for Christmas and New Year.I got a lift,caught the ferry and wasn’t sacked although he wasn’t a happy chappy.
You have to stick to your guns.

You done the right thing,when i go for a job i make it clear i am a day man,if they ask why i tell them the truth,ie i like my own bed at night,as i see it there are other drivers in these companies quite happy to do nights out and earn a few extra pounds,or should that be pittance once the taxman takes his share,fair play to you

Good on you sir!

Absolutely the right call to leave. He was royally taking the ■■■■.

Best of luck with the coming lottery of good boss / bad boss.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

robroy:
I’m going to use it myself in future…and pretend it’s mine.
:laughing:

No worries bud, I’ll stick it on your bill. :wink:

Good for you .
On the other hand this was my short “easy” week.
It all went ■■■■ up on Monday (not my fault or the bosses ) and I’m only in the door now . 3 nights out . I keep a bag with 2 complete changes of clothes and washing gear in the truck. Knife fork spoon various pots pans and a kettle mugs , coffee tea soup etc inverter and microwave.
Its not a problem .
It does fasinate me that some think the world revolves around them and their needs and they need “rescuing” - please your in a truck not the wilds of outer Mongolia.
Sorry the job didnt work out for you - perhaps you need a complete career change .

beefy4605:
Good for you .
It all went ■■■■ up on Monday (not my fault or the bosses ) and I’m only in the door now . 3 nights out . I keep a bag with 2 complete changes of clothes and washing gear in the truck. Knife fork spoon various pots pans and a kettle mugs , coffee tea soup etc inverter and microwave.
Its not a problem .
It does fasinate me that some think the world revolves around them and their needs and they need “rescuing” - please your in a truck not the wilds of outer Mongolia.
Sorry the job didnt work out for you - perhaps you need a complete career change .

To be fair to the op his issue is the boss knew for hours but didn’t tell him. He therefore had no time to prepare supplies. This wasn’t a breakdown/accident situation that couldn’t have been prevented, just a boss chancing his arm and expecting the driver to do it.

kcrussell25:

beefy4605:
Good for you .
Its not a problem .

To be fair to the op his issue is the boss knew for hours but didn’t tell him. He therefore had no time to prepare supplies. This wasn’t a breakdown/accident situation that couldn’t have been prevented, just a boss chancing his arm and expecting the driver to do it.

Yes exactly. There was no need to go lorry camping, his boss just wanted him to and kept it to himself. I’ve tramped. Also been on days and got caught out.

This was a chancy boss not force majeure.

kcrussell25:

To be brutally honest -
When you step into a lorry look behind the seats . If theres a bed there expect to have to sleep in it every night / some nights or once in a blue moon . It sounds like the op had said he would do the odd night out but when landed with one made all sorts of excuses to get out of it . Its the reality of the job - it dosen’t go to plan , things happen, breakdowns ,jobs get changed last minute by customers and suppliers . If you expect to be home every night and never to have to do a night out you really need to be thinking about a change of job .

beefy4605:

Hmmm, well I don’t think the world revolves around me, and I don’t need “rescuing”. I just take the truck back to the yard at the end of my shift. If that requires me to break the law then so be it. My personal requirements overrule the requirements of the law. It’s not my fault if a traffic planner can’t do his job properly.

I don’t do nights out, end of. I have done, I did them for 30 years and the longest I have been away on one trip is 107 days, but I don’t do them any more. And that’s a decision which is entirely up to me.

Me: And you didn’t think to tell me all day?
Him: What difference does it make?
Me: I’ve got plans, I’ve got no supplies with me, If you’d have let me know I could stopped at a shop. You’ve given me zero notice. You said I’d be home today
If you had plans then how would stopping at a shop be needed for supplies ? You either had plans or you hadn’t . I’ll say it - you were chancing your arm

beefy4605:
Me: I’ve got plans, I’ve got no supplies with me, If you’d have let me know I could stopped at a shop. You’ve given me zero notice. You said I’d be home today
If you had plans then how would stopping at a shop be needed for supplies ? You either had plans or you hadn’t . I’ll say it - you were chancing your arm

Me: ‘find someone else to pick up your truck. I’ve left the keys inside and it’s open’

You might be willing to be treated like a mug. And many other drivers might be. But there are some people with enough self respect to not put up with it.

I can see the waters being muddied on this one with what is two seperate issues.

The unforeseen events that cause you to go from within range of base to out of hours

Planned events that will take you from being within range of base to out of hours.

beefy4605:

kcrussell25:

To be brutally honest -
When you step into a lorry look behind the seats . If theres a bed there expect to have to sleep in it every night / some nights or once in a blue moon . It sounds like the op had said he would do the odd night out but when landed with one made all sorts of excuses to get out of it . Its the reality of the job - it dosen’t go to plan , things happen, breakdowns ,jobs get changed last minute by customers and suppliers . If you expect to be home every night and never to have to do a night out you really need to be thinking about a change of job .

I have done nights out. Both planned and unplanned and was never bothered hence sometimes I got “challenging” runs as the office knew I would night out so wasn’t an issue.

You need to read the post again. The op’s boss knew hours before that a night out was required but didn’t communicate it. I am sure the op would have viewed it differently if it had been a breakdown situation.

“To be brutally honest” it sounds like you are happy to have no plans outside of work or are willing to change them at the drop of a hat because of poor planning/management. That’s a world of difference from “unforseen circumstances”. Whilst you might be happy doing that don’t think the majority are

beefy4605:

I think that’s pretty incidental. A driver should not have to answer his whys and wherefores of homelife. Do you justify what you are doing on your days off to your boss?