How much per hour for dray work?

I did the drays for a while, starting as agency… After a few months they offered me a permanent position…

I ended up on annualised hours and the same hourly rate with more hassle about getting the job done faster. The final straw was having to have a row about the hours accrued over the previous month, with the company saying they owed me half the amount that I said I was due… There was no compromise at all from them nor even a willingness to discuss it like adults. I had a diary of all hours worked and all hours owed and they just weren’t prepared to be at all reasonable.

I was given a single day off at the start of the next week, went and got another job, and returned with a letter giving my notice. They even had the cheek to ask why I was leaving and were quite surprised when I told them they were robbing, conning ■■■■■■■■ who had cheated me of my own time and/or money :smiley:

I should have stayed agency - perhaps you should too?

Good luck, whatever you decide

UKtramp:

Mantis:

UKtramp:

Mantis:
Try £11-12 p/h and if its a small company salary is always negotiable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s class 1 money round here mate,

This job isnt a class 1 motorway deliveries or collections we talking about pub basement deliveries. Ive seen few ads offering £14 an hour in London for the same role driving a 7.5tonner. Please remember you will rarely get more than 8 hours so class 1 job isnt comparable at all.

There are class 1 dray jobs, and London is hardly comparable to Hull now is it. You can buy a house in Hull for the cost of a garage in London. So £14 p/h in london would equate to minimum wage here.

Job isn’t in Hull or London, housing costs around these parts probably half way between those two. I gave examples of two other Class 2 jobs around here paying £10 and £10.50 an hour (pallet work and council waste collection) - I just wondered if anyone thought dray work should attract a higher rate than those other jobs due to the fact that (presumably) quite a lot of drivers wouldn’t want to do it?

Seems to me that if there are other (less physically demanding) class 2 jobs in the local area that pay circa £10 an hour, then maybe circa £11 an hour for dray work would be reasonable?

I realise that Mantis has already suggested that ballpark figure…

Piston broke:
I did the drays for a while, starting as agency… After a few months they offered me a permanent position…

I ended up on annualised hours and the same hourly rate with more hassle about getting the job done faster. The final straw was having to have a row about the hours accrued over the previous month, with the company saying they owed me half the amount that I said I was due… There was no compromise at all from them nor even a willingness to discuss it like adults. I had a diary of all hours worked and all hours owed and they just weren’t prepared to be at all reasonable.

I was given a single day off at the start of the next week, went and got another job, and returned with a letter giving my notice. They even had the cheek to ask why I was leaving and were quite surprised when I told them they were robbing, conning [zb] who had cheated me of my own time and/or money :smiley:

I should have stayed agency - perhaps you should too?

Good luck, whatever you decide

Oh, interesting…Would be very surprised if they wanted to put me on annualised hours (they are a small outfit) but thanks for the warning !

UKtramp:

Mantis:

albion:

Mantis:
Try £11-12 p/h and if its a small company salary is always negotiable

Ok, after they know that you are good and they do like you why not to ask for a payrise? Ive just told few agencies what i am looking to be paid and they just agreed with me because its better to pay a bit more for a professional ar reliable driver than to look for a replacement. Does that make sense to you?

■■■■ off

U mad old timer?

Not at all, I make allowances as it is the school holidays.