How many of you can remember the following?

Old truckstops and snack cabins on the A1
Kate’s Cabin when it had the bar
Friar Tucks on the A1 / A614 / A57, and the fried breakfast swimming in grease
Blue Boar Bawtry
Boot & Shoe
Swiss Cottage north of Wetherby
Quernhow
Washington nightowl

Grumpy Dad:
Blue Boar Bawtry
Boot & Shoe
Quernhow
Washington nightowl

Do you mean BP Birtley.
Now Aronld Clarke car place.

Capt Morgan’s in the sawtry weighbridge,

Maurice’s at the Black cat, his two handed breakfast stick, 4 sausages, 3 eggs,4 bacon,beans,. All in a French stick.

The

Running money.
Hand written receipts.
Happy days.

mushroomman:

Sixties boy:
Tooley St used to be coach park by day and truck park at night and is now the site of the Mayor of London’s building, ironically!

When that closed started parking at Vallance Road, Whitechapel ( birth place of the Krays!) used to park in order of departure eg late starters at back, as you were treble parked.

Drivers moved more freight when parked there, then they did while delivering, you could buy nearly anything there.

Vallance Road, :unamused: how could you forget the Jamaican lad who did the evening shift with his own roll of car park tickets. Drinking in The Blind Beggar pub and the Jewish bakers who used to open up at 10 o’ clock at night so you could eat a fresh Bagel on the way back to the car park. Irish Bridget The Midget who would do anything for a bottle of Mackeson. Walking around the corner with a bunch of drivers to the Y.M.C.A. doss house on Whitechapel Road with your washing gear to a get a wash. Walking down to see the stripper at The Red Lion in Aldgate or a dozen or so drivers catching the tube to go and see Jimmy Jones at The Montague Arms in New Cross and petrol engined Bedford T.K.'s with the choke cable sticking up just behind the gearstick.

The Red Lion :laughing: , the stripper in there who used to smoke a ■■■ in a very strange and unique way. :open_mouth: :laughing:
The other pub up the road…The Long bar?
And the little Indian guy who used to watch you reverse on to the roundabout at Aldgate and take the parking money, he used to wear sandals with no socks, never forget the night me and a couple of lads were coming back to the park late on, and he was knocking on somebody’s cab door really irate.and screaming, the driver had presumably crapped down by his trailer, and the Indian had stood in it and was wiping it off from between his toes. :laughing: :laughing:

the happy hour café at bassetts pole. and further down the drome café at minworth…

robroy:
The Red Lion , the stripper in there who used to smoke a ■■■ in a very strange and unique way.

Always class acts there. The girls were so posh they even had their tattoos spelled rite!

When I started on distance, the older hands were mourning the demise of “Paraffin Annie`s” somewhere near Banbury or Warwick?
Carmen a nice Maltese lady, had a good small cafe off the A34 near Harwell. Not big parking, but good food.

The Five Ways Café near Warwick , and the Café at Ryton on Dunsmore. Lincoln Farm too. Are any of these still open ?

Lincoln farm still going, five ways now houses and bob’s at ryton now a car sales place…

biggriffin:

Grumpy Dad:
Blue Boar Bawtry
Boot & Shoe
Quernhow
Washington nightowl

Do you mean BP Birtley.
Now Aronld Clarke car place.

Capt Morgan’s in the sawtry weighbridge,

Maurice’s at the Black cat, his two handed breakfast stick, 4 sausages, 3 eggs,4 bacon,beans,. All in a French stick.

The

Yes Birtley, next exit after the services, turn left and come back on yourself, not sure what it is now, last time I was up there someone was dumping trailers on what was the lorry park, and everything else had been demolished.
The A1 had more roundabouts than Milton Keynes :laughing:

Filling the engine oil in the cab of a Volvo F86 without spilling it or touching the steering wheel or grab handle. The cap wouldn’t tip because the torsion bars were broken on the cab.

Trapping your jacket in the handbrake quadrant, then jumping out at your tip/load hanging out of the cab by your jacket

m.a.n rules:
Lincoln farm still going, five ways now houses and bob’s at ryton now a car sales place…

Thank you. Long ago memories indeed in both places with my Dad. He drove for Benfords in Warwick. All gone now, like the people.

Nobody has mentioned log books……

Nobody has mentioned log books……

which one, n01 or n02… :smiley: :wink:

Well I didn’t like to be pre-emptive but I can remember my dad having two log books, especially with the delay’s at Tilbury.
Parking in the Five Ways and being collected.
Getting a lift simply by holding up a log book.

The Lincoln Farm used to painted sky blue, for Coventry and had pot holes you could hide a tank in .

Doing…

60mph on the motorway and no elephant racing.

Trickydick:
No ABS
Only one electrical suzie
Three air lines
No air suspension
320bhp being seen as decent horsepower
Tautliners being seen as dead posh

Wrong 240hp seen as decent horsepower. Started in late 1970’s on the road in 1980. First motor CMR244L Seddon 180hp Gardner !

Sand Fisher:

Trickydick:
No ABS
Three air lines
No air suspension

Wrong 240hp seen as decent horsepower. Started in late 1970’s on the road in 1980. First motor CMR244L Seddon 180hp Gardner !

my first unit at Carryfast was a SedAtki 400 with a 180 Gardner…what a surprise when one day i was allocated a borrowed 400 unit from Reg Morris’ up the road…expecting it be another 180,was in fact a Mighty 240! wow…what a motor :smiley:

carryfast-yeti:

Sand Fisher:

Trickydick:
No ABS
Three air lines
No air suspension

my first unit at Carryfast was a SedAtki 400 with a 180 Gardner…what a surprise when one day i was allocated a borrowed 400 unit from Reg Morris’ up the road…expecting it be another 180,was in fact a Mighty 240! wow…what a motor :smiley:

How did you get on with the clutch when shunting with the 240? I think they were a prick of a thing unless they made the air assisted thing work a bit smoother a bit later.

Trickydick:
No ABS
Three air lines
No air suspension

320bhp you must be a newbie :laughing: :laughing: 220 RR Eagle was classed as a decent motor in my days on “general”