This pulled up next to me earlier

The F7 is probably the first truck I have memories of growing up. My dad used to drive an F731 8 wheel tipper back in the mid to late 80s. He used to park it outside the house at nights and most weekends too and nobody ever seemed to bother about it. I used to go with him any chance I could get too. Those were the days [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what a shock i had when i went to pull the curtains round the cab and found they only went around the bed.that was day 1 with an F7,

tony

Should have asked them if you could take it for a quick spin around the car park. It’d only take that for you to realise things are much better now than they used to be.

Conor:
Should have asked them if you could take it for a quick spin around the car park. It’d only take that for you to realise things are much better now than they used to be.

Wrong.

In the 80’s when these lorries were plying their trade, other lorry drivers didn’t get on their mobile phones and call the police over driving infractions. They would rather help another driver…

Conor:

Manual gearbox shock horror how does that work !

robthedog:

Conor:

I can drive a manual box thank you :wink:

did my test in that… in them days it was straight to class one from a car licence…it was a weeks intense course…i failed miserably… :cry:

Cant see what all the fuss is about
Its only a frecin Actros :slight_smile:

That and the even worse Renault G 290 were two of my most hated pieces of junk.I absolutely hated the things with a a passion.

Crap driving position windscreen too low, the heavy obstructive synchro box was a joke, not much more power than a Gardner.The only 6 cylinder motor I ever drove that sounded and went like a 4 pot Bedford.

Luckily the one we were lumbered with was effectively deliberately euthanised by me on the orders of management. :laughing:

( The call to the office from the emergency phone operator on the M25 went along the lines the driver says the engine is overheating.The reply was it doesn’t matter better to blow up the engine and try to get the load back because the service failure will cost more than the value of the truck ).
It didn’t make it happy days. :smiling_imp: :smiley:

DAF95XF:

robthedog:

Conor:

I can drive a manual box thank you :wink:

Except this thing was one of the worst of the worst synchro junk.The only thing that would have imporoved it was a Skoda badge, gallon of petrol and a match.

The Leyland Clydesdale was a delight to drive by comparison.

Curtains?

Not a real truck, nor a real driver.
Ye gods I bet there’s even a mattress instead of a plank of wood…

robthedog:

Conor:

I love how for some drivers manual boxes seem to have become almost mythical things that only ‘real drivers’ can deal with when in reality most of them were a piece of ■■■■ to drive. In fact if anything drivers seem to struggle as much with driving an auto properly as they did manuals going by comments and questions on here

eagerbeaver:
In the 80’s when these lorries were plying their trade, other lorry drivers didn’t get on their mobile phones and call the police over driving infractions. They would rather help another driver…

Glad you see nothing wrong with a driver watching a film whilst he drives down the motorway at 44 tonnes veering between L2 and the hard shoulder as he does so. No doubt you were the ■■■■■■■■ I saw doing it on the M1 between J25 and 24 through the roadworks at 7am a year or so ago.

As for helping other drivers I used to do that and they used to help me. It was only when people like you started coming into the job that drivers automatically jumping out of their cabs to help you take your sheets off a load and fold them up came to an end.

Conor:

eagerbeaver:

Glad you see nothing wrong with a driver watching a film whilst he drives down the motorway at 44 tonnes veering between L2 and the hard shoulder as he does so. No doubt you were the [zb] I saw doing it on the M1 between J25 and 24 through the roadworks at 7am a year or so ago.

As for helping other drivers I used to do that and they used to help me. It was only when people like you started coming into the job that drivers automatically jumping out of their cabs to help you take your sheets off a load and fold them up came to an end.

Conor Lesson 1 - if someone hasn’t said something to justify your angry reply just make it up. Never let facts get in your way.

switchlogic:

Conor:

eagerbeaver:

Glad you see nothing wrong with a driver watching a film whilst he drives down the motorway at 44 tonnes veering between L2 and the hard shoulder as he does so. No doubt you were the [zb] I saw doing it on the M1 between J25 and 24 through the roadworks at 7am a year or so ago.

Conor Lesson 1 - if someone hasn’t said something to justify your angry reply just make it up. Never let facts get in your way.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1

"real drivers " can watch a good film,peel an orange,microvave their tea 5 mins before stopping and butter a piece WITHOUT swerving all over the road.
one might think that once stuck on a mundane tedious boring night trunk then it would be prudent to practice such diversions to relieve the monotony??

switchlogic:

robthedog:

Conor:

I love how for some drivers manual boxes seem to have become almost mythical things that only ‘real drivers’ can deal with when in reality most of them were a piece of ■■■■ to drive. In fact if anything drivers seem to struggle as much with driving an auto properly as they did manuals going by comments and questions on here

The F7 was definitely a ‘‘piece of ■■■■ to drive’’ , it was full synchro. :smiley:
Drove a hire one for 6 months ,(TVH Darlington written on side) supposedly while my day cab 400 Sed Atk was getting engine rebuilt, (never did btw) it was like getting out of a farm tractor into a modern car in comparison…lovely little truck.

F7? beautiful little wagon,we got chinese 6 tractor units to replace Scammell Trunkers,what a revelation,syncro 8 speed box,might have been small but they certainly performed well,so quiet you could actually hear the radio,and they were warm in winter,unlike most of our Scammells,and mine certainly travelled the country and never ever let me down,a class act for the time.

switchlogic:

robthedog:

Conor:

Conor:

eagerbeaver:

How did you know the truck was 44 tonnes? Impressive stuff to be fair to you mate knowing that. I can’t really tell the weight of another vehicle, but that’s because I’m not a very good lorry driver.

I do remember watching a couple of films around 7am last year, and to be fair it could have been me because…hang on a minute- wasn’t me. I know this for a fact because I always divert around roadworks because I am scared of cones.