How many hours is too many?

Redrum:
I’m really at my wits end at the minute. I’m parked up, not at base waiting to see if somebodies going to come and meet me which is the difference between getting home tonight or not.

In the interest of keeping my card legal I even rang my boss earlier and told him I MUST be back at 7 (or end my shift at 7, but I’m a day driver and surprise surprise I have no night out gear with me today). Instead he insisted to carry on with handballing the 8 pallets on the side of the road he’d sprung on me because the collection on the back ‘is only a short one’. No surprise the M6 on the way back is a cluster [zb] and I’ve had to pull off at Wednesbury in the interest of staying legal now I properly understand daily rest.

This happens more than you think, I’m ran to the wire all the time and I’m left asking for somebody to meet me which doesn’t happen or I just have a night out. Thing is hey don’t really care whether I make it back on not.

I’m tempted just to ditch the truck if when he phones me back he isn’t sending anyone.

You say that this happens on a regular basis and you’re a day driver, the fact that this often happens I would suggest that at the beginning of every shift you bung in a sleeping bag and pillow just in case it happens again. Even to the point that you might run out of hours because of an incident on you’re route.
■■■■ Albion you beat me to it !! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

albion:
■■■■■■, we’ve all had days like that.

I know this is a typo/ auto correct but I am howling :laughing:.

Redrum you decided when it’s time to stop and head back to the yard. No point phoning the office as you know they obviously don’t care. Stuff can always go back out tomorrow so don’t worry about taking it back. It’s not a big deal even if they tell you it is.

Redrum, you gotta change your username, auto correct does dreadful things with it… :blush:

harrawaffa:

albion:

Redrum you decided when it’s time to stop and head back to the yard. No point phoning the office as you know thjey obviously don’t care. Stuff can always go back out tomorrow so don’t worry about taking it back. It’s not a big deal even if they tell you it is.

I was hoping to get my edit in before anyone noticed! Trust you :grimacing:

albion:
Redrum, you gotta change your username, auto correct does dreadful things with it… :blush:

:laughing: :laughing:

That’s given me a good chuckle Albion :smiley:

Somebodies coming to meet me. I’ve taken my card out already but the thing is it’ll probably be past 9 once I get back to the yard so I’ll have spent over 15 hours at work again today with me starting at 5:45

I know I’m doing alot of moaning but I’ve just felt quite down about driving over the past few days. I think part of the problem is I’m not sure how much of this is normal stuff all drivers deal with, or if it is in fact me not being at the best company

You are at a bad company by the sounds of it. As I say, deal with it today, tomorrow start job hunting. Ask for some recommendations on here for your area.

Redrum:

Somebodies coming to meet me. I’ve taken my card out already but the thing is it’ll probably be past 9 once I get back to the yard so I’ll have spent over 15 hours at work again today with me starting at 5:45

I know I’m doing alot of moaning but I’ve just felt quite down about driving over the past few days. I think part of the problem is I’m not sure how much of this is normal stuff all drivers deal with, or if it is in fact me not being at the best company

I’ve been rescued before, car turns up, you get in it other driver takes your wagon. Make sure you get paid for the hours right up to when you get back to the yard, you’re still on duty, not on your card but in their their time.
Are they rescuing you because::: they don’t want to pay you a night out? they need the wagon back? Still got deliveries/collections to be done?

Redrum:

I’ve been in this situation as a new pass in my class 2 work. Learning now to better know when I need to call it a day to get back in time. The office gets a text saying I’m on my way back with x number of drops on-board.

The hardest thing I’ve found since passing is having the confidence and understanding to protect my hours.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yesterday - start at 10 finish at 2. 8 hours pay at sunday rates.

Today - start at 7 finish at 1.15. 8 hours pay normal rates.

Those are the sort of hours I like.

Q How many hours is to many ■■
A The first 50 :laughing: :laughing:

harrawaffa:

albion:

Redrum you decided when it’s time to stop and head back to the yard. No point phoning the office as you know they obviously don’t care. Stuff can always go back out tomorrow so don’t worry about taking it back. It’s not a big deal even if they tell you it is.

Well caught that man! :laughing:

Redrum:

You’re entitled to moan but you also need to stand up to your gaffer/office and protect your licence! Don’t argue over the phone with anyone just tell them how it is then finish the call. They won’t give two hoots if you get busted and will deny any knowledge of pressuring you. It’s not unusual for crap companies to try it on. When you get to the point in the day where you think you should be heading back call or text them to let them know then switch the ■■■■■■■ phone off! They won’t like it but if they’re employing newbies it might suggest they’re struggling to get drivers and will get the message. If they don’t you’re working for a real shower of ■■■■ and I’d get out of there using the following method. Finish this week at work and start making phone calls to try and get something else going and try to set up interviews for next week when you will be sick all week. I’d do this to ensure getting all/most of my money due. Not my usual way but they sound dodgy.

sammym:

Are you sure your driving a truck bud you seem to have the best job in the world and never a problem

Redrum:
Hello chaps,

Out of curiosity how many hours would you say is too many? (If such thing exists in this line of work). I knew when making the step up to class 1 work instead of the class 2 local pallet distribution I’d be doing a lot more hours but wasn’t sure exactly how many. Last week I handed a time sheet in and I’d spent 69.75 hours at work and a couple of nights out as well (with 6.75 hours in breaks leaving my working time at 63 hours). To make it worse I’m salaried and if I divide my hours worked by my weekly pay, I’ve barely earned £8.70 an hour for last weeks work (which is only a small amount more than the class 2 work hourly rate wise).

Is there a point at which you’d be inclined to mention to you employer about the amount of hours your doing or is it the sort of thing where you’d get laughed at as we’re all expected to work crazy hours no matter what?

Ps. I don’t think I’m terribly hard done to and I haven’t made the thread to try and make out I’m some super worker. Just genuinely interested in your opinions thanks

How long are you working for this company and is it the same company you were doing class 2 for

DonutUK:
I wouldn’t worry about it…once we’re out of the EU all this working time limits will be abolished and employers will be happy to see you working 70 hrs every week!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what are we meant to do for the remaining 3 days then? :confused:

dieseldog999:

DonutUK:
I wouldn’t worry about it…once we’re out of the EU all this working time limits will be abolished and employers will be happy to see you working 70 hrs every week!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what are we meant to do for the remaining 3 days then? :confused:

What? You reckon getting a day off every week?

Freight Dog:

albion:

[emoji38] [emoji38]

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

nightline:

sammym:

Are you sure your driving a truck bud you seem to have the best job in the world and never a problem

Normal week for me…add in around 5/6 hours of break and an hour/week going through the truck wash every night or topping up with juice and another 4 or 5 ponsing around brings me up to around 30…that’s enough for me!

nightline:
How long are you working for this company and is it the same company you were doing class 2 for

I’ve been with them around 7 months now, almost 6 of those have been on the Class 2 day distribution in our local area though so never had my hours pushed like I have been recently. Might also be worth noting I’m under a different transport manager now too.

I made my feelings clear Monday night and told him I wasn’t going to have a repeat of last week and that I wouldn’t be using any reduced rests for a couple of weeks until I get my card straight. Turns out I do have a couple of daily rest infringements. The last two days have been better and last night I parked up in the services about an hour earlier than I probably had to just to make sure I made it in time and didn’t run the risk of any other infringements. Seems he may have listened to me but only time will tell

Redrum:

nightline:

I’ve been with them around 7 months now, almost 6 of those have been on the Class 2 day distribution in our local area though so never had my hours pushed like I have been recently. Might also be worth noting I’m under a different transport manager now too.

I made my feelings clear Monday night and told him I wasn’t going to have a repeat of last week and that I wouldn’t be using any reduced rests for a couple of weeks until I get my card straight. Turns out I do have a couple of daily rest infringements. The last two days have been better and last night I parked up in the services about an hour earlier than I probably had to just to make sure I made it in time and didn’t run the risk of any other infringements. Seems he may have listened to me but only time will tell

That’s a great start, we all have to work but not under pressure or stressed out with the hours all of the time its acceptable at times but not every week
Just keep on nit picking at it in a nice way and make sure you have all the facts right as you said your not new to the company so that helps
It you can’t get any results then i would be looking for another job now that’s just me saying what i would do
There is good and bad out there you just have to keep knocking on doors, there is nothing as bad as working for a company that your not happy in because of one reason or other
Them hours every week is not acceptable but its in all jobs and you live with it, but not every week