How many hours is too many?

Redrum:
I may have over exaggerated on the hours posted, I haven’t been racking up any infringements so I can’t be doing 13/14 hours every day. I am just under the legal limit though, I use my reduced and the other days I’ll usually just get 11 hours off. The time sheet in the OP is correct.

OK. If you were doing the normal lorry driver ■■■■■■■■ in regard to how many hours you work, good luck with sorting it yourself.

:unamused:

If you do more than 13 hours duty that is a reduced rest regardless if you have 11 off and I think thats where you may fall down, eg start 6.00 and work until 20.00 and restarting at 7.00 is still a reduced rest even with 11 off. I would download more often than once a month as well

kcrussell25:
If you do more than 13 hours duty that is a reduced rest regardless if you have 11 off and I think thats where you may fall down, eg start 6.00 and work until 20.00 and restarting at 7.00 is still a reduced rest even with 11 off. I would download more often than once a month as well

I think you may be right, I think I’ve misunderstood what makes a reduced rest. I’ve been under the impression that aslong as I has 11 between shifts I wasn’t using any

It’s looking like I’m going to have a few infringements

Redrum:
I think you may be right, I think I’ve misunderstood what makes a reduced rest. I’ve been under the impression that aslong as I has 11 between shifts I wasn’t using any

If you start work on Monday morning at 0600 and you are still working at 1900 then it doesn’t matter how much time you have off afterwards, you have had a reduced rest that day.

over 8 hours i get a sweat on lol

I wouldn’t worry about it…once we’re out of the EU all this working time limits will be abolished and employers will be happy to see you working 70 hrs every week!

One could be forgiven for thinking its still 1963, which is where the employer is obviously stuck in his own personal time warp, not daft though is he paying salary and getting 20odd hours free work every week :bulb:

I average 43 hours now, it might be 36 one week and 52 another, my longest week here was 56, i’m salaried.

If you are prepared to work those sorts of hours you need to be on a proper hourly pay package, in all honesty you’d be better off on PAYE on an agency that working for that bunch of ■■■■ takers, start searching for a proper job this week.

Juddian:
One could be forgiven for thinking its still 1963, which is where the employer is obviously stuck in his own personal time warp, not daft though is he paying salary and getting 20odd hours free work every week :bulb:

I average 43 hours now, it might be 36 one week and 52 another, my longest week here was 56, i’m salaried.

If you are prepared to work those sorts of hours you need to be on a proper hourly pay package, in all honesty you’d be better off on PAYE on an agency that working for that bunch of ■■■■ takers, start searching for a proper job this week.

Seems most people opinions are the same as my own, it’s too many hours and not enough money for the work I’m doing when I work out the rate

Trouble is I’m a new pass, I think I might struggle to get in somewhere else

kcrussell25:

^^^^
This
Its worked backwards over a 24hour period.

New pass and new to this job? Could part of your problem be that you, possibly due to lack of training and experience, are simply too slow at present? The extra breaks you’re taking daily, I’m guessing that it’s not down to maxing your driving, but rather not managing your breaks effectively. Running late, maybe getting lost? missing slots? What sort of hours are other drivers doing?

I’m happy to go up to 60 but that’s it now,the days of 70-80 hours are gone,
My mate says he don’t know how I live on ONLY 60 hours :open_mouth:
He has been sucked in to the you have to max your hours every week to be able to live club…
60 is more than enough 40 hour and 20 hour overtime if you can’t live on that your screwed in my view,and I get a bit of home life too

I think the most I’ve seen on a timesheet is 84 hours paid - that included two ferry trips totalling around 24 hours, all double manning, so probably around 25 hours actual driving or work.

Probably followed by a 42 hour week.

We make it very clear what the hours are like here and what the job is like beforehand.

I’m salaried and contracted to 48 but usually don’t exceed 45 that’s plenty over the 4 days. When I tramped I’d max hours every day as it was hourly paid and I was out all week to make as much as possible.

How many hours is too many?

One :laughing:

How many hours are too many?
That is up to the individual.
I personally got sick of maxing for so bloody long, so volunteered to cut my week down.
I just got sick of working hours that equated to a week and a half in other industries, but only getting paid for it the same amount that most of those industries got paid for their reasonable hours week…mostly down to thick dumb assed drivers over the years giving up their 40+ time and a half, for an increase in rate, but for the same amount paid right through. (that inflation ■■■■ ed up over the years when that rate did not increase in line with it. :imp: )

Apart from that I came to my senses and realised there was more to life than spending it in a ■■■■ truck.

However after saying that I still do 4 nights away, and my ‘agreed’ 50 hours often turns out to be 55/60. :unamused:
So I need to work on that one some more. :unamused: :laughing:

yorkshire terrier:
60 is more than enough 40 hour and 20 hour overtime if you can’t live on that your screwed in my view[/b[,and I get a bit of home life too
[/quote]
Quite. I have always taken the view that anyone who needs to work 60-70 hours per week just to pay the bills, put food on the table and then have a little bit left over that will pay for the summer holiday is living beyond their means. What happens if work goes quiet, they lose their job and can’t find one with so many hours, or any other thing that could lead to a sudden and considerable drop in income?
It’s a similar thing to those in their 20s who feel the need to have a BMW or Audi on the drip to show how ‘successful’ they are, and by the time they’ve paid for it at the end of the month there is literally nothing left in the pot. Crazy.

Vid:
New pass and new to this job? Could part of your problem be that you, possibly due to lack of training and experience, are simply too slow at present? The extra breaks you’re taking daily, I’m guessing that it’s not down to maxing your driving, but rather not managing your breaks effectively. Running late, maybe getting lost? missing slots? What sort of hours are other drivers doing?

I rarely get lost, I have a truck satnav (which I know isn’t fool proof) which usually always gets me to where I need to be. Driving wise it optimises my routes and even avoids traffic. I rarely run late and never miss slots. Last week in paricular I was doing a fair bit of waiting around so I think that’s contributed. In term of the other drivers I’m not really sure, but like you i’d like to find out.

I’m going to explain to my boss later that I need to be doing less hours. As another poster has pointed out last week was unlawful and I have a feeling I may have infringements to top it off

I got 75 in last week but we are hourly paid, and pretty well paid to be honest, however most weeks I don’t do that many hours it was just a particularly busy one! Plus the job is really easy, loads of time on break. Home every night too.

Just need to keep your card legal too.

I’m really at my wits end at the minute. I’m parked up, not at base waiting to see if somebodies going to come and meet me which is the difference between getting home tonight or not.

In the interest of keeping my card legal I even rang my boss earlier and told him I MUST be back at 7 (or end my shift at 7, but I’m a day driver and surprise surprise I have no night out gear with me today). Instead he insisted to carry on with handballing the 8 pallets on the side of the road he’d sprung on me because the collection on the back ‘is only a short one’. No surprise the M6 on the way back is a cluster ■■■■ and I’ve had to pull off at Wednesbury in the interest of staying legal now I properly understand daily rest.

This happens more than you think, I’m ran to the wire all the time and I’m left asking for somebody to meet me which doesn’t happen or I just have a night out. Thing is they don’t really care whether I make it back on not.

I’m tempted just to ditch the truck if when he phones me back he isn’t sending anyone.

Redrum, we’ve all had days like that. Certainly doesn’t seem to be the best of companies to work for.

Personally I wouldn’t do anything rash, money is money after all, but don’t run over your hours. I’d certainly be looking for another job, even going doing some door knocking as you pass or if you can on a Saturday morning.

Oh, and always take kit with you, I did even in a van.