Too many hours

Hiy,

I’m quite [zb] off today. I had a meeting today with my supervisor and his assistant (ridiculous). Basically I complained about hours. I get £300 a week (£262net) and do as many hours as they want me to do. What annoys me is older drivers who do exactly the same job but don’t exceed 8, 9h a day. So I work 11, 12, sometimes 14 hours a day and to be honest I’d do that without second thoughts if I knew others do the same. They wanted to scare me, the so called assistant had a piece of papper and supposedly was recording the meeting. In fact he was doing it for 5 minutes at the same beginnig then he stopped. They called it an informal complaint. If I’m a young driver does it mean that I have to work harder for the same money?

3 weeks ago I had to complain about weekly rests becouse I hadn’t had any. Unfortunately the company didn’t know it and they didn’t take proper weekly rests for a few years, ridiculous. I told the supervisor about it but maybe I should of called VOSA.

What can I do about it? take a leagal action or just quit?

Cheers,
Rob

Simon_1982:
3 weeks ago I had to complain about weekly rests becouse I hadn’t had any. Unfortunately the company didn’t know it and they didn’t take proper weekly rests for a few years, ridiculous.

If you knew about the weekly rest regs why did you not stick to them :question:

I gather you are all paid the same (salaried) - are you all doing exactly the same job :question:

IMO join a union for a start then put a grievance in for victimisation.

i h8 the vosa they pull use irish all the time and we do nothing rong :smiling_imp: :imp:

We all do exactly the same job. Different runs but they are being swapped between the drivers.
What does this grieviance mean? And how does it work?

the only person in charge off your rest periods is you :bulb: :bulb:

your company can try and get you to reduce them or work them even but at the end of the day its down to you. if you get caught with insufficent rest by vosa … you will be the one getting done.

the fact that the other drivers are doing less is a case of tough luck i suppose, we were young new drivers once and we all had to start at the bottom. it’s not fair but thats life.

Simon_1982:
We all do exactly the same job. Different runs but they are being swapped between the drivers.

direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ … G_10027992

Simon_1982:

if the runs are swapped then how come it’s taking you so long :confused: :confused: :confused:

Simon_1982:

jessicas dad:
if the runs are swapped then how come it’s taking you so long :confused: :confused: :confused:

You beat me to the point of my question :slight_smile:

I didn’t say one thing. It takes me so many hours because they give additional collections and deliveries (what makes me really angry). If I had exactly the same runs it’d take me up to 9hrs.

If you are all doing the same runs between you I’d have a word in the ear of one of the older drivers and ask them for a bit of advice as to how they get the runs done so quick. Maybe they are pulling a fast one and unloading on break or maybe they can give you some hints to make life easier for yourself. What sort of vehicles are you driving? vans, puddlejumpers or 18tonners?

Simon_1982:
I didn’t say one thing. It takes me so many hours because they give additional collections and deliveries (what makes me really angry). If I had exactly the same runs it’d take me up to 9hrs.

AH !! - in that case I aplogise - from your other answer it seemed that you were all doing EXACTLY the same…
If they are giving you extra work on top of what the rest are doing then ask why - then come back here with their answer as their answer may give us a way to help you :bulb: :smiley:

Could it simply be that you are the closest person to the collections? It could be just bad luck. I’ve been dragged from Nuneaton down to Bedford to take three cages off a broken down driver before and I was genuinely the nearest driver to him.

They have simply less work to do. We drive 7.5, 18 and 26 tonners.
I start at 4 and an older driver starts at 4. We both finish at 12, he goes home and I’m ordered to drive more and this happens on daily basis. Is this fair?

Simon_1982:
They have simply less work to do. We drive 7.5, 18 and 26 tonners.
I start at 4 and an older driver starts at 4. We both finish at 12, he goes home and I’m ordered to drive more and this happens on daily basis. Is this fair?

No it is not - ask why

They don’t answer directly or say that everyone does the same amount of hours which is [zb]. Today at the meeting I asked the to disclose other drivers hours so that I could compare it to mine, answer: we can’t do that, it’s waste of time, we don’t want to do that.

and btw if I insert my digi card lets say 3.55am am I a night worker? Can I work more than 10hrs?

Simon_1982:
and btw if I insert my digi card lets say 3.55am am I a night worker? Can I work more than 10hrs?

yes if you have a workforce agreement to opt out of the ten hour night rule

Have you got a map or a sat nav?

Maybe the older guys know some shortcuts.

Quite simply your face doesn’t fit and you are being taken for a mug.You made your mistake the first time that they asked you to do something above and beyond the call of duty.It’s probably too late to do anything about it now and for your own piece of mind you would be better off looking for a new job.You should pay attention to the other drivers and try and work out why they get treated differently,no doubt they have got more service in than you and feel more confident about job security and earn more respect.The job climate at the moment doesn’t help but what you will learn from this is the first few days in any new job are vitally important as to how you are treated forever more.Employers soon work out who will allow themselves to be pushed about and who wont,everyone has surely seen evidence of that in their work places.Meanwhile look at the “Constructive Dismissal” angle,they may be leaving themselves wide open for a tribunal.