How many cracks to tighten a wheel nut.?

I doubt if anyone would stop to help what you done, please don’t drive around the Northeast we’ve got enough dangerous drivers!

Frankydobo:
I doubt if anyone would stop to help what you done, please don’t drive around the Northeast we’ve got enough dangerous drivers!

Very true Franky, Some wagon drivers have no concideration at all for other road users,Plus the car drivers as well, Lots of them seem to think that overtaking on roundabouts is the in thing these days & then cut in front of you, I don’t think the name for these Idiots has been invented yet, But mind you I could think of many, Regards Larry.

Our place has a torque wrench fitted to every unit. Any re-torques are done by us, and all unit nuts have to be checked every week. Torque wrenches are checked by the workshop on every 6 week inspection. I’m pretty sure most of the lads don’t bother tbh.

hi all,
i was always one for three bangs and thats tight,however times change and if we dont,we get left behind!with my last truck,a peterbilt, i had problems with just the outer rear wheels working loose.until i had the correct torque setting from america and i invested in a commercial torque wrench.after that my problems were over!no more outer wheels on the drive axles working loose at all.convinced me 100% that the big torque wrench is a vital piece of equipment to own.
regards andrew.

Frankydobo,you have obviously no EXPERIENCE of european driving in the early 1980s,especially in rural spain , on your own with no MOBILE phones, i expect you would have sat there ,and waited for the AA.with a torque wrench.or cried.

It was called get your self out of a mess and it did,perhaps you have never had to. lucky you. and a stupid comment .

Don’t be an arse you haven’t got a clue what I’ve done or what parts of the world I’ve been to therefore your comment is even more stupid!

WELL Frankydobo you are 100 % correct ,i suspect maybe you have, like me, been at sea ,deep sea ,so the world has also been done by me[ manns run] for starters, however you have never had to change wheels with punctures on you own in the middle of nowhere with no phone or support ,that is for sure ,or you would have known what to do and not made a comment .so get you torque wrench out and crack you nuts.

clean the faces, lubricate the threads, torque them in spec and they never come loose. If there is some rust or paint left between hub and wheel you must retorque them again and again. Angle tightening is even more accurate, I think it was 200 Nm + 90 degrees.

I might be wrong but surly it is two nuts to tighten a crack,

Two cracks was the norm for me,then check again after some mileage. I were always checking mine,looking for tell tale rust etc…
In later years when I were shunting for Wincanton,tyre fitters used to tie a label ont steering wheel of a unit or ont red line socket on trailer to tell driver that wheels had been changed and required retorquing after being stood or after 50 miles IIRC.
Aye,and some drivers used to rip labels off,couldna be arsed to get em retorqued,I used to play hell with em. It was very rare that wheels were taken off our tri-axles to change a single tyre and when it were necessary it took ages for fitter to get wheel off - effin and blinding. :smiley:

Two cracks was the norm for me,then check again after some mileage. I were always checking mine,looking for tell tale rust etc…I only used the wheelbrace bar,no scaff pole, and not a big lad either but never lost a wheel.
In later years when I were shunting for Wincanton,tyre fitters used to tie a label ont steering wheel of a unit or ont red line socket on trailer to tell driver that wheels had been changed and required retorquing after being stood or after 50 miles IIRC.
Aye,and some drivers used to rip labels off,couldna be arsed to get em retorqued,I used to play hell with em. It was very rare that wheels were taken off our tri-axles to change a single tyre and when it were necessary it took ages for fitter to get wheel off - effin and blinding. :smiley: