Re torque- how often

so I took my truck in for it’s MOT the other day, and when I picked it up there was a ticket on the dash to say come back in 30km for a re torque, on the front driverside wheel, which I did no probs, so I was talking to my mate today who works for biffa, and he told me that all the drivers there are expected to re torque all there wheel nuts on a weekly basis, I was just curious if thats the norm and how often other drivers get theres done…

regards AXE MAN

Most drivers do not carry a torque wrench so I cannot see how the drivers can do that…

That would be down to the service dept

SOE recommend

1. Establish any causes of wear and damage on loose nuts before re-tightening
  2. Keep adjoining surfaces clean and preferably free of paint
  3. Ensure that nuts run freely over the whole length of the stud thread by hand action only
  4. Final tightening must be with a calibrated torque wrench set to the vehicle manufacturer’s torque value
  5. Power operated tools and extensions to wheel braces should not be used for final tightening
  6. All wheel nuts must be re-checked for tightness after 30 minutes whether the vehicle has moved or not OR after the vehicle has travelled between 25 to 50 miles
  7. When re-torquing, nuts should not be slackened and re-tightened, but simply re-tightened to the recommended torque
  8. Commercial drivers should inspect tyres at the start of each shift for signs of damage, under inflation, cracked or distorted wheel rims, broken or loose fixings, signs of wheel looseness
  9. If drivers check for loose nuts it should be with a socket and a bar no longer than 500mm to avoid over-tightening

Torque Wrenches are a precision instrument which need to be calibrated. not chucked across the workshop floor

he just said that they are expected to Re tourque there wheel nuts on a weekly basis, he never went into anymore detail than that, as I say, im just curious how often you guys get yours done, incase I was slacking on that front, he seemed really shocked that I didnt do mine weekly :confused: , I guess no one is too keen to commit themselves to an anwser for fear of a grilling, which I can respect …

If a company want you to torque the wheel nuts then that is ok but they must give you the training, equipment and time to do it.

AXE MAN:
he just said that they are expected to Re tourque there wheel nuts on a weekly basis, he never went into anymore detail than that, as I say, im just curious how often you guys get yours done, incase I was slacking on that front, he seemed really shocked that I didnt do mine weekly :confused: , I guess no one is too keen to commit themselves to an anwser for fear of a grilling, which I can respect …

I re-torque once or maybe twice after a wheel has been off ( using a calibrated torque wrench) but I wouldn’t recommend doing it weekly ( every time you re-torque you tighten the nut slightly so with regular re-torquing they could become over tight and may be weakened or even shear in extreme cases)

Wheel nut pointers that you check as part of your daily walk round check is a much better idea imho.

Worked for biffa for 5 weeks as a temp Axe man is right drivers are expected to re torque the wheels once a week when i was there no trianing given just told go to work shop to get torque bar and settings dorking branch also came back form round one day told i was takeing another truck for a brake test told them no than told to go home sacked thought that was for the workshop to do